PDA

View Full Version : Upside down Gators, for tall weeds.

Tinkerer
10-05-2004, 05:08 AM
I did it about a month ago. A small field needed to be cut down for a drain field. The tallest stuff was 8-9 feet with about 1" diameter stalks. I had gone over that area a month before, mainly knocking the stuff down more than mowing it, with my 117 Groundsmaster and 52" deck. The 2nd time I installed my Gator blades on upside down. I know this is dangerous. No one was anywhere near. The lower edge of the blades were below the lower edge of the sides of the deck. It did work fairly well. I had the deck raised up all the way most of the time. Having 18x9.5-8 superlug tires on helped traction a lot too.

P.S. How do I put my equipment list a the bottom?

geogunn
10-05-2004, 10:05 AM
The tallest stuff was 8-9 feet with about 1" diameter stalks.

The 2nd time I installed my Gator blades on upside down.

are you serious about either of these statements? and my question to you is why would you do either?

P.S. How do I put my equipment list a the bottom?

go to the "USER CP" on the toolbar at the top of the page or on the forum jump drop down.

then choose signature line.

GEO

Tinkerer
10-07-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm absolutely serious.

I did it to make more money just like anyone else.

It was for the owner of the place out in the country that I store my lawn equipment.

Its really not that far out of the realm,, so I see absolutely no reason not to, with the conditions I had to deal with.

Somewhere down the road when I have more money I will buy something thats made better for this kind of work,, but I can't do that now.

I grew up on a dairy farm and we made things for our needs sometimes that no manufacturer ever made.

To boldly mow where no man has mowed before.

Soupy
10-07-2004, 02:55 AM
Someone once told me that upside down gators work great for gum-balls. I never tried it though.

geogunn
10-07-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm absolutely serious.

ok. I have to trust you at your word that you are serious.

and I'll have to say that I have abused my mower for the purpose of making money when I started in the biz. but I was only cutting stuff as tall as the handlebars, not 8-9 feet tall! that is outrageous!

but I still don't understand the upside down blades. how can blades turned upside down be used for any purpose?

GEO

fcl01
10-07-2004, 10:32 AM
but I still don't understand the upside down blades. how can blades turned upside down be used for any purpose?

GEO

i dont get it either. why would you want to cut with the back side of any blade? gator or not. dont make sense at all to me.

btw, i hear alot of the guys on here using their expensive commercial mowers as brush hogs. :dizzy: another thing that makes no sense to me. you can buy an old little tractor and brush hog for alot less money than replacing a good mower. and if you cant afford it, rent it and charge accordingly.

Dan

beransfixitinc
10-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Perhaps the idea here is that you are using the serrated wing on the gator blades as a crude shredding blade.. not trying to cut the stalks, but rather to chew them up. I'm not sure really how this works since I doubt you'd get any kind of discharge.

jbell113
10-07-2004, 05:01 PM
seems like it would shred it up then force it down on the ground since the lift would be pushing down instead of up.