PDA

View Full Version : logo's

upsondown
10-05-2004, 09:18 AM
undefined We are looking to have a new logo designed and have been looking through the various sites that claim "artists" but a lot of them just look like the same 'ol thing - just with a different name put in. I know from experience that multi-colored logo's are very costly when it comes to the various product duplications - which is fine as long as a person knows this from the onset - but oftentimes they get a logo and then get the surprise when they go to the printer or screenprinter shop. I'm looking for someone who has designed simple and effective logo's - I often think of some of the major companies and they are rarely elaborate in detail. Good artwork needs to be simple and effective in my opinion. If anyone knows of an artist that fits that bill I'd love to hear from them.
Dave

NickN
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Gopher can design any logo you want.Their "canned" logos are simply past designs that can be updated to each company's needs and provides a cost effective way for someone to get a logo at a lower price.They can design one from scratch though.

Team Gopher
10-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi upsondown,

Their "canned" logos are simply past designs that can be updated to each company's needs and provides a cost effective way for someone to get a logo at a lower price.They can design one from scratch though.
From NickN

Here is the logo gallery link (http://www.gophergraphics.com/index.cgi?page=artists).

Thanks NickN

Hamons
10-06-2004, 08:26 PM
A true logo artist will designa logo that is nice, but also trasnfers well into two colors. I paid a very good "commercial artist" to designa logo for me and I have been very happy! Much of what I see done is too "fancy" -- looks good on the computer screen ut not printed on forms.

tonygreek
10-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Dave, I sent you a pm regarding this.

Tony

JimLewis
10-06-2004, 10:55 PM
You need to check out Design Outpost .com. It's great!

Basically, it's a place where dozens of designers from around the world compete for your business. You start a "contest" and you set the amount of money. Some people pay just $50 -- others offer hundreds. Obviously, the more you offer, the more designers you'll get interested.

So you start this contest and give whatever parameters you want and then designers start replying to your post with their ideas. You reply saying what you like and don't like and they keep refining their work until someone's design really impresses you and then they win.

Check out the re-design we had done a few months back.
Here's the link..... (http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3010)

Even more impressive, IMO, is the design that Lawn-Tek (Soupy from Lawnsite) had done. The logo he ended up with is amazing.
Here's that link........ (http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2502)

Soupy
10-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Jim, I searched your contest and the design you picked isn't showing up in the cintest. I would really like to see the new design, If you get a chance email me a picture. I think you have my email, but if you need it PM me.

Soupy

JimLewis
10-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Hmmm. You're right. The pictures disappeared on that thread. Weird.

Anyway, I've posted the new designs at the website below. These are the mock-ups that Tonya created. But the trucks pretty much turned out identical to these pictures. Right now, we have 5 of our 6 trucks done in the new design.

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/NewDesign.html

JustMowIt
10-08-2004, 04:27 PM
undefined We are looking to have a new logo designed and have been looking through the various sites that claim "artists" but a lot of them just look like the same 'ol thing - just with a different name put in. I know from experience that multi-colored logo's are very costly when it comes to the various product duplications - which is fine as long as a person knows this from the onset - but oftentimes they get a logo and then get the surprise when they go to the printer or screenprinter shop. I'm looking for someone who has designed simple and effective logo's - I often think of some of the major companies and they are rarely elaborate in detail. Good artwork needs to be simple and effective in my opinion. If anyone knows of an artist that fits that bill I'd love to hear from them.
Dave

Dave Newman at http://www.graphicsking.com He designed a logo for one of our affiliates http://www.thelawnmowers.net

upsondown
10-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Jim: I'm curious to learn what the cost per vehicle was for you to have this done? Here we pay around $600 - and am curious to know if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks,
Dave

Soupy
10-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Jim: I'm curious to learn what the cost per vehicle was for you to have this done? Here we pay around $600 - and am curious to know if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks,
Dave

We pay $350 to get these done http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61616

JimLewis
10-10-2004, 03:46 PM

Ouch!!! $600 !!!!! Dang!

Well, I am pretty fortunate. When I got my first truck lettered in 1997, I called around town and found the best price I could get from a professional shop. He did it for $125.00 per truck. He's never raised the price on me in all these years. So even though he's since gone out of business, he still has his equipment and still does each of my trucks for $125.00.

Still, $600 is very high. I am already providing the graphics needed, they just have to cut and apply. If I were to price this out today, it would probably be in the range of $200-$250. There are a LOT of sign and lettering shops around here. Lots of competition is a good thing.

Hamons
10-10-2004, 04:00 PM
I wonder why he went out of business? Sounds kind of liek the guys who run around town with an aerator every year trying to make money a $30/yard. Funny thing is -- you nver see them the next year.

JimLewis
10-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Well, he went out of business because he had too many eggs in one basket. He was doing a lot of big commercial sign work (Nike, Intel, Conventions, etc.) and they were always paying behind (60-120 days after the work was done). Meanwhile, he was paying all his suppliers, laborers, etc. on time. Eventually, it just all caught up to him.

He didn't go down because his profit margins were too low. It takes him 20 minutes to cut out and prep. my lettering and 20 minutes to install it. And it takes about $10 worth of material. And he's owned his cutting machine and computer for over a decade. So there's little expense there. Profit was pretty good, even though he was fairly cheap. He just had way too much money tied up in expenses for commercial jobs.

I've seen that happen over and over and over. One of my uncles had the same thing happen to him. He owned one of the largest roofing companies in Oregon. Dozens of trucks, dozens of workers, huge commercial projects for Costcos, WalMarts, Safeways, sub-divisions, etc. And one day one big commercial project couldn't pay him for several hundred thousand $$ of work he had done. He was bankrupt in less than a month.

upsondown
10-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Jim: It's great you can get it done that cheap - but around here anywhere from $600-$1000 is the going rate for lettering a truck - both sides and tailgate. All of them stick together and keep their prices high.......would be a good idea for LCO's.
Dave