PDA

View Full Version : Major problem?

cenlo
10-05-2004, 10:14 AM
I just aerated a 7000 ft2 lawn 4 days ago, the owner called upset that her daughter was getting married this weekend and they are taking photos on her property. I cannot rent a turf vac here and wonder what you guys can suggest to get rid of the plugs? Thanks

Acute Cut
10-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Rake, back pack blower, EB8001. Call up friends and other LCO's that you know. This would be a nightmare. I TOTALLY feel for you man.

Wreak
10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Tell the guy to get some of that rolled up astro turf and lay it over the yard where the people will be standing. :cool2:

bushtrimmer
10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
If they are dry enough, maybe you could drag a fence section over the yard to bust up the plugs. Then water in real well. That should help break down the pulgs. Make sure not to water too close to the weekend though, will make it muddy.
Or just say sorry bout your luck, you hired me to aerate, didn't tell me about pics.

NickN
10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Pull behind sweeper.It'll come in handy later also.

Premo Services
10-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow, I have never heard of that, but if they wanted me to do something, I would take my lazer ztr or walk behind mower and drive over the lawn to make the plugs(goose cr@p) disappear.

dkeisala
10-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Or just say sorry bout your luck, you hired me to aerate, didn't tell me about pics.

Exactly - are they the one's requesting you aerate? Then it's their responsibility. I understand their predicament but it's their problem, not yours.

FrankenScagMachines
10-05-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure what will pick up the plugs... if they are dry, i would try a drag mat of some sort (chain link fence would be good) to break them up as mentioned. If wet?????

Is it possible to rent some sort of sweepster, or buy/rent/borrow a "power sweep" attachment for a trimmer? I'm sure either of those options would do the trick. The PowerSweep would be a bit slow for that size of lawn but it's do-able. Hmmm.....

I've got an old lawn sweeper out back (it's one of those tow-behind models like homeowners use to pick up grass clippings behind their lawn tractor), i'm not sure how well it would work for you though. Those things work best on thick or short lawns in my opinion. They will pick up grass clippings fine even if you don't mow short and it isn't thick, but i don't know about aeration plugs.... how thick and how low do you cut the lawn? you may get away with a sweeper. I'd really look into a sweepster broom, they are an attachment to fit some mowers and things, or sometimes they are an individual machine i'm not sure.

If you can get one to rent or whatever, a big push blower would probably do it, at least 8hp if not at least 10hp thats much better.

cenlo
10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Tony Clifton
10-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Your mower with a bagger should pick them up no prob if they are dry. You might have to cut it 2x and it will work really well if you have a dragnet,,,chain, mat fence etc to pull over the yard. Don't sweat it, it s not as big of a deal as it seems.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Tell them to water the lawn a few times, then when dry go over it with a ztr or wb.

Gravely_Man
10-05-2004, 04:50 PM
You can wait for the plugs to dry (hopefully very quickly) and then remow the lawn to break them up. The customer should have told you about the pictures prior to you do your thing.

Gravely_Man

Precision
10-05-2004, 06:49 PM
I agree with gravely man. Just set up your mower with a dull set of double blades and off you go. Hi lift if possible.

Then water in the crap that you just broke up.

promower
10-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Whatever you do make sure the guy knows he's getting charged to clean up the plugs. As said before this is his problem not yours.

walker-talker
10-05-2004, 07:46 PM
I am not knocking you or bustin' your balls, but before I aerate or verticut I ask the homeowner have they had this service before. Depending on their answer, I will inform them or remind them how "tore-up" their lawn is going to look when finished. Might consider something like that in the future. You could always mow over them and collect. Either way, I would charge for this service as well. It was ultimately their fault....you absolutely did nothing wrong.

Mico Landscaping design
10-05-2004, 08:29 PM
track vac works to if u got it on already.. or just use the bagger it works just as well.. just go little lower.. good luck :blob3:

bigdaddyspags
10-05-2004, 08:34 PM
7000 ft? just bust out a rake, how hard could that be........

oneandonlyjojo
10-05-2004, 08:49 PM
why woudlnt they give u notice that there was going to be a wedding on the yard

Mickhippy
10-05-2004, 09:27 PM
I know this might defeat the purpose of aerating but.....

Water the lawn well then use a roller to squash all the plugs down (you could try rolling while there dry but they'd have to be very dry). Then re water to wash the soil off any grass blades.

Mow before the pics are taken.

Just a thought!

Runner
10-06-2004, 01:20 AM
In the first place, by the time you do the cut just before next weekend, (I would think you will be mowing at a nice higher height to make it look full and lush anyway), the plugs are not even going to show on the lawn in the pics. Trust me, it will NOT look as bad next week as they do now.

GroundKprs
10-06-2004, 02:54 AM
Depending on how heavy the soil is, the plugs could be sitting there for 2-3 weeks, becoming less visible each day. Mowing and dragging will make no appreciable improvement in appearance. If the plugs are dried, you can make them completely vanish by a flail powerraking. Set the tines to just hit the plugs, not the surface of the soil like usually done - this way there will be very little stress on the appearance of the turf. I do this regularly on spring aerations to get rid of the plugs, because people are looking for good appearances in the spring.

Perhaps you could just powerrake the area pictures are being taken on.

easycareacres
10-06-2004, 03:44 AM
Use a rotary mower of any type and eat em up hose in, gone.
no catcher.

PaulJ
10-06-2004, 05:17 AM
If you remve the plugs you are loosing some of the benifit of aerating in the first place. A couple mowings between now and then and the plugs will be about gone anyway.

Big Wes
10-06-2004, 07:23 AM
They need to take their pictures on the patio or deck........Geesh! You know they asked for the service. Besides are they going to be taking pictures of their feet :rolleyes:... I think not or at least hope not! Good luck with that situation.

One more thing, maybe it'll rain on the wedding day, then all the pics will be taken in the house. :)