PDA

View Full Version : Help with ground cover ivy

Mo Green
10-05-2004, 09:58 AM
I have a customer that wants me to clean up a couple of beds in her back yard. One of them is covered with ivy. Probably around 200 sq. feet. I have no experience with removing this stuff. Any input on difficulty, techniques, or pricing would be a great help.

Premo Services
10-05-2004, 10:46 AM
I have done this job before. I would take a small mower and lower it down and scalp the heck out of it, then get a stiff rake and pull the rest out. If you are licensed to apply pesticides, then you could use roundup to kill after mowing. If not then happy cutting and pulling. Also, when you start to pull out, try to get the area watered before, it will help a lot.

lqmustang
10-05-2004, 09:05 PM
I did a similiar job a while back, but it was about a 1k sq ft area about 6 inches thick with English Ivy. I brought along a helper, and while one of us was hacking away underneath at the roots with a shovel, the other was rolling the ivy back. Worked well, but still took a long time. Didn't help either that there was poison ivy mixed in. :dizzy: Next time I have something like that I'll rent a cheap skid to clear it out. Lost my rear on that one also, will never bid ivy removal low again. payup

bushtrimmer
10-05-2004, 09:13 PM
I like to spray it first with a heavy concentration of Roundup pro. Then grub it out with Dingo w/ toothed bucket. Ivy beds are generally too small for full size skid steer.

impactlandscaping
10-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Our best combination has been hand pulling the front up , and slicing through with a sod shovel, rolling it back as you go.Then pull any remaining roots visible in the bed, then hit the area with a 4% conc. mix of RoundUp.Be prepared to spot spray and hand check the area for a while afterwards, even with the best of success. Keep in mind we only do this for areas that are inaccessible to a Bobcat, anything accessible gets ripped out the easy way :D

Liberty Lawncare
10-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Gassoline and a match. Flame on baby. :blob2:
Really use a woody vine herbicide then a week later pull it up wet soil as premo pointed out will make it easyer.
If you are replanting and can mulch the area just pull what comes up easy. Then put down weed block fabric. Then put about 5 inches of mulch. Nothing will come up through that. I have done this with great results in the past.

Thistle
10-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Go crazy on it with your edger then pull it out with a stiff rake.

Tharrell
10-06-2004, 01:51 PM
No matter what you charge, it'll be under estimated. I did one once. IF I ever do another, I'll use a backhoe or bobcat.