PDA

View Full Version : How many have customers that tip?

MMLawn
10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
I have one customer that is just unreal in his loyality and graditude in that he tips 20% on every single week on every single invoice. When he first did it I thought he overpaid by mistake and mentioned it to him and he so, no no that is a tip for the wonderful service. He never ask for anything extra or complains and has never missed tipping a single cut and was my first customer early in the season to re-sign up for next year. Some of the PITA's could take a lesson from this customer. :p

Liberty Lawncare
10-05-2004, 12:24 PM
I have a fiew who threw a fiew extra $ my way after a spring or fall cleanup. I always go out of my way for those customers :angel:

Randys Lawn Service
10-05-2004, 01:50 PM
One of my best clients tips $5 every time and this weekend gave me a gift card to Home Depot. Like many of you, I enjoy working for people like that. Many times a simple "thanks, that sure looks good" Makes a guy feel good all day!!!

dkeisala
10-05-2004, 01:50 PM
It happens occasionally. Someone may throw in a few extra bucks for a job well done or perhaps they've made me wait a little long for payment and they will add in a little extra for the inconvenience. Then around Christmas a few will become generous, gift certificates and things like that. When it happens my standard response is "while it certainly wasn't necessary, it's very much appreciated. Thank you."

twins_lawn_care
10-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Not much on the money side, but every thurdsay, a house I do a lady comes out, asks how I am doing, and gives me a bottle of water. It really makes my day a lot better, and like stated above, don't mention giving that yard a little more detail.

orangejbird
10-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I mowed for a couple that had a large site by a river. They were trying to sell the place. Took them 5 hours with an old tractor w/48" deck. Mowed too short, looked like heck. I mowed it long for a month. New growth filled in. I did a nice stripe job on my last mow (it sold the next day) and it looked awesome! They gave about 30% extra on that last mow. I got a check for $275.00 from them later, thanking me for doing a better job than the realtor. They sold to some doctor that was driving by, drove in made an offer without even seeing the asking price. :cool2: They referred me to him but I haven't
got a call and it hasn't been mowed but twice since the first of august. Go figure.
Another customer (older guy who was a contractor years ago) leaves cash under the Weber grill cover. It's always there and occasionally there's been an extra $5.00, steakhouse gift cert., screwdriver set, among other things. He fertilizes the H*** out of his lawn so I've been mowing every 3-5 days all summer.

geogunn
10-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I have gotten tips from customers before.

one said buy land the other said buy stocks.

GEO

rodfather
10-05-2004, 04:39 PM
I have gotten tips from customers before.

one said buy land the other said buy stocks.

GEO

Same here along with don't eat the yellow snow, don't smoke in bed, and plant your corn early.

cklands
10-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I have a couple that will come out and give the crew $10 or $20. I never see the money I just hear about it. I do have one customer that sends me passes to the movies every season with the last bill.

economiclawncare
10-05-2004, 06:48 PM
i have a 3 acre lot that i cut and i would say it takes about 2 1/2 hours get paid $150 to do the job and another $20 tip every single week. And the house is a old small house dont look like they have money but they do. I will break my neck for them.

turf9
10-05-2004, 07:09 PM
The biggest tip I have had was box seat tickets to the hockey game and parking in GM Place :cool2: Same deal as every one else from a good paying customer that never complains.Think I may be out of luck this year cuz that dam hockey strike :realmad: oh well in any event it's nice to be remembered.

bettergrass
10-05-2004, 07:16 PM
ive got a guy that gives me 10 extra on a $140 invoice for the month.....i also thought he had overpaid but when i asked him he said oh no thats for you...has been doing it since the beginning of the season. Always nice to get a little extra

satch
10-05-2004, 07:19 PM
got a tip on the last yard of the day today.wuz just $5.00 dollars ,but i was still thankful.

Mico Landscaping design
10-05-2004, 07:27 PM
we get tips usually once a week one guy gave me and a worker 50 bucks as a tip to whip the whole thing ( only extra 10 bucks) ... we get a lot of tips in the winter if its a bad snow and stuff like that.... :blob3: its makes the day go easier got a lot of customer's that give the guys red bull or there choie of pop :) love cusomter's like that later

bobbygedd
10-05-2004, 07:40 PM
4 customers, tip me every week.

Travis Followell
10-05-2004, 08:56 PM
The best tip I ever got was a $1

Liberty Lawncare
10-05-2004, 09:09 PM
4 customers, tip me every week.
Are you holding your "collections department shovel" when they tip you. :D

green with envy
10-05-2004, 10:12 PM
If one of my customers ever gave me a tip I think I would fall over. I cut their lawn and charge them a good rate. Maybe I should mow in a skirt... I have great legs! :cool2: That's what my wife says!!!

HOOLIE
10-05-2004, 10:59 PM
I have one customer that adds usually $15 or so onto the bill each month. Just started doing it this year (have had them for 3 years). Always writes "TIP" on the statement. 2 other customers send me gift certificates at Christmas each year.

KINGjosh
10-05-2004, 11:22 PM
I get alot of tips for the first cut, for new customers but none after that. But at Christmas time I give all my customers cheap $1 cards and they sned me back a card with at least $20 or more cash inside. Adds up with about 89 accounts!
I cut in a upper middle class area and 90% of my customers own thier own bussiness, and they no how it is working for yourself. They always offer their services for little or no charge to me. I take care of this Lawyer's 3 houses, and he tells me all the time if I need any legal services just ask! So I always try to nework with every body I meet no matter what or who it is. The more poeple you know on a personal level, the better you can take advantage of their profession!

geogunn
10-05-2004, 11:42 PM
let me re-consider this.

I have had people say that conditions were worse than usual and pay me like 25% more because of it (without my asking).....is that a TIP??? and those people were from CHICAGO........ the implication is northern people may be more "service" based.

GEO

redoak77
10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Sometimes people will round up on a mulch job and that is always nice. I to get a bottle of water every once in while. The most awsome "tip" came on a Sunday in the summer when i was mowing after a heavy rain the dew days before. I was just trimming around my last house (best customer) and they invited up on their deck for a Sunday brunch of Pancakes. Now that was awsome

Metro Lawn
10-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Got a $250.00 tip for the sod job we did last week. Details posted in the pictures forum. "Budget Landscape Job"