PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Questions

wagner17
10-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Thinking about either buying a TTHP or the Lazer Z HP, but have some maintenance related questions.

How often do you ...
1) Change the oil
2) Sharpen the blades
3) Oil the spindles

How do you dispose of the oil?
What are some other maintenance issues to be aware of?

In your opinion, is it worth it to get a blade sharpener?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

stevesmowing
10-05-2004, 02:01 PM
on my walk behind i shapen blades every other week, for a total of mowing 50 lawns. Even at that they arn't real dull I just like to keep them real sharp. Oil should be changed 50-100 hours depending on the engine. You should be able to find that out online. As far as blade sharpening. I use a dewalt angle grider with a sanding flap disk works very well and isn't expesive and has many other uses.

MMLawn
10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Thinking about either buying a TTHP or the Lazer Z HP, but have some maintenance related questions.

How often do you ...
1) Change the oil
2) Sharpen the blades
3) Oil the spindles

In your opinion, is it worth it to get a blade sharpener?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

You didn't say if you were going to run the mower commerical or not so that will somewhat effect some of these things. I do and cut a lot so I will answer the question with that in mind.

1) Oil every 25 hours filter every 50 (alos chk the mowers specs). Changing the oil & filter is a CHEAP preventive measure that you really can't do too offen.
2) I sharpen blades every week or two.
3) I grease the spindles with Moly Hi-Temp grease every week to two. (Basically as needed I grease everytime I sharpen the blades or change the oil.)

If you are doing a lot of lawns then yes a sharpener and balancer would be a good investiment, BUT spend the money and get a good one.

Good luck

Travis Followell
10-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Maintenance depends on the engine. Kohler engines require an oil change every 100 hours and a filter every 200 hours. If your using the mower for residential use then just change the oil once or maybe twice a year and the filter once a year.

If your usuing the mower commercially grease the spindles every other day to once a week. Really depends on how much you use it. If you buy a new mower just check the manuals for all of the maintanence information.

TreffertLawnWrx
10-05-2004, 10:26 PM
I own a Lazer hp.

I change the oil every 50 hours and filter every other oil change.

I sharpen the blades every 4 days.

The spindles are sealed and you need to screw in a zerk in place of the bolt, which gets checked every oil change.

I dispose of my oil down my sink.

J/K, any local oil change place will take your oil.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-05-2004, 10:43 PM
If you have an advance auto store in your area they should take your used oil there for free disposal

odin
10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Blades sharpened once a week but enough sets that at least one fresh set goes on every mowing day

Change the oil and filter every 50 hours.

grease the spindles on the toro's and scags every day .. My lazer z hp 's have sealed spindles.

Quick change place around here called jiffy lube takes all the old oil.

FoxDen
10-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Just about any farmer in the area, (if you are in a rural area), will come get your used oil. Either to use in an oil burning heater; or to grease the chains on their barn cleaners. I wouldnt dump it down the sink.