PDA

View Full Version : Fall is not the time for seeding......

dfor
10-05-2004, 08:57 PM
At least not in New England. Every year I have customers ask me to seed in October. Sorry, it's just about too late; unless we have a very warm month. But thats you hear "seed in the fall". For me, I like to start seeding in late August to late September. And if I happen to do a late seeding, I get paid when I'm fininshed. Just venting.

myoder
10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
I hear ya, October is getting late in the season, but fall is the time to seed, that's for sure...

bushtrimmer
10-05-2004, 09:15 PM
I agree, our target date to start is September 1, we call that fall even though it isn't officially, but usually cool enough.
Talk about venting though, Since September 3rd, we've had 1/4" of rain. Residential accounts that we have aren't watering even though they were left instructions to do so. In years past this hasn't been an issue, not looking forward to future phone calls about lack of germination.
I can deal with it, just going to take a lot of time.

dfor
10-05-2004, 09:16 PM
In our area it should be worded in articles, radio, etc. that late summer is best.

kickin sum grass
10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
dry as a bone here as bushtrimmer stated. I just power seeded 2 lawns today and the dust was unreal. In places I couldn't even see where i was going. I made sure I got paid and left watering details and explained the importance. I had been waiting for rain for the last couple of weeks to do these jobs but just could not wait any longer. I try to have seeding done by no later that oct 15. usually by end of sept. but will extend if needed. Man I hope it rains soon.
Wait, did I just say that. After this spring I thought those words could not come out of my mouth. :D

green with envy
10-05-2004, 11:03 PM
WE Hydro-seed until mid October and expect to see a fairly full lawn this year.
We are in mid Michigan. If we get a cold snap they are set up for dormant seeding and still have the erosion control that our hydro-seed provides and meets any association requirements.

Mike

Ryan Lightning
10-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Try telling the customers when it is time to seed before its to late. Send a letter with there invoice.
We just started seeding here, and it will last all month. I ask all my customers and alot of them say, dont you seed in the winter? I tell them Im doing it now, and they almost all say OK, go ahead.