PDA

View Full Version : 17HP TTHP Stalling?

Dixie Cutters
10-05-2004, 10:30 PM
I have a 17HP 48" TTHP and when the mower is at higher speeds (4.5 up to 6 on the speed indicator), every once and a while the engine will stall out for like .5 to 1.5 seconds. I use stall out for lack of a better word, but it really just stops powering everything seems like its gonna stall out, but it kicks back in shortly their after. It never seems to happen once the blades are engauged, except it happens sometimes in any speed when the blades have just turned on, and you are releasing the handles for the first time after turning the blades on. It also happens when driving down the road to another job, say at 5 or 6 speed, it will just randomly sound like its about to stall and then kick bacn in and be fine. I know this is somewhat confusing, so if I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Brendan

proenterprises
10-05-2004, 10:40 PM
I had the same thing just happening with my giant mow. Everything would be fine with it, then somtimes when I would put it in gear or engage the blades it would stall out and then die. When I bought the mower this summer, their was no key in the ignition (i though no big deal since it didnt have elec. start anyway) so i let it be. Turns out that the ignotion got into the "off" position, and from time to time, the saftey feature would kick in, the machine thinking it was supposed to be turned off would begin to stall.

I went to the dealer and got a key (they are easy to find) and popped it in. I would check your electrical system to make sure everything is intact and connected. Their a good chance this is your problem.

The lco I helped this summer had big problems with a 72" lazer, it would do just what you said, once it was cutting, it would "cut out" every 20 seconds for about 1 second and then come back, it never actually shut off, just cut out. Turned out to be loose electrical connections.

Good Luck.

fishinman22487
10-05-2004, 10:48 PM
I have the same problem on my Exmark Viking 15hp too. I took it to my dealer and they said it sounds like it has water in the carb.
They recommended when its about to stall to do this: pull the choke lever out and right when the engine is about to quit push the choke lever back in and the water welll get out of the engine.
I hope that helps some :)

Let me know if this helps the problem, because it sounds like the same thing my mower is doing.

Dixie Cutters
10-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill look into all of that tommmorrow, and keep them coming if anyone else has suggestions :)

geogunn
10-06-2004, 12:21 AM
dixie--I believe you are welshing on the OP controls.

you are letting go for a fraction of a second and don't know it.

GEO :)

Ryan Lightning
10-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Happened to me last week, I mowed for a few hours and every time i hit some slight bumps the engine would start to die. I figured it out when I went to engage the parking brake, it was loose and every time i hit a bump it bounching on the kill switch for the brake.

caleb_harlan
10-12-2004, 01:55 AM
I had the same kind of problem but mine acted like it was missing sometimes. It was the end of last year and we ended up putting on new fuel parts (carb, pump, hoses, ...and ignition parts and on and on)(also making matters worse had flywheel and starter go out as unrealted problems) but these parts didnt help. To find out later, it was a bad wire in the operater presence circuit. Had to do a lot of shaking of wires to find the problem. So my advice is to shake and wiggle wires to see if you are having connection problems.

The only way we figured it out was it completly died and would not turn over or anything and no power to the plugs so ended up wiggling wires because we new it wasnt scensing me at the controls. So wiggle wires when all else fails(maybe before you spend tons of money throwing parts at it)