PDA

View Full Version : Bagging Problems

ByrnesLandscaping1
10-05-2004, 11:27 PM
I have been in the business for years and i have always had trouble with my deck mowers bags durability. Right now i have two bags where the bottom mesh is bent and essentially falling out. I have bent it back somewhat for the time being, but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to fix this.(Is there a metal mesh that i could buy or something that would do the job). I would like to save the $600 on new bags if i can. Thank you

dkeisala
10-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Same here - I have an aluminum bag from Accelerator that has received very little use and the welds are already cracked on the bottom. I know nothing about welding except you need a special type of system to weld aluminum and finding someone to do small welding jobs is difficult around here. Any solutions anybody has would be welcome.

Bray
10-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Take it to a local machine shop and talk to the man in charge. Aluminum has to be tig welded and if the aluminum is not perfectly clean then the welds will break. Radiator shops could also do it but a machine shop would be your best bet. They can see where the weak spots are and beef it up for you. My father in law owns a machine shop here so if I need any aluminum welded he gets the pleasure of hooking me up.

ByrnesLandscaping1
10-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Thank you for you suggestion. Do you know of any machine shops in the Boston area?

bobcatnj
10-06-2004, 03:40 PM
i use those grass cobblers. they are the steel cage ones with the mesh crap on the bottom. i used the stuff that roofers use on roofs. i forgot what it was called but it comes in aluminum rolls. i got it at home depot and just bolted it in place where the mesh was. hope that helps

jpp
10-06-2004, 04:04 PM
I have been in the business for years and i have always had trouble with my deck mowers bags durability. Right now i have two bags where the bottom mesh is bent and essentially falling out. I have bent it back somewhat for the time being, but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to fix this.(Is there a metal mesh that i could buy or something that would do the job). I would like to save the $600 on new bags if i can. Thank you

Which bagger do you have? My accelarator mesh peeled back on the bottom and I took it in to get welded and they were going to charge my 300.00 I bought a grassgobbler and rig the other with a piece of plywood cut out in the shape of the catcher. Put it in the bottom and bolted it through the mesh. Then any loose mesh I wrapped it up around the sides so it would not peel back again. Worked good enogh last year with that set up.

mole
10-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Hey you guys with the accelerator bags just email him and he will take care of you. I had problems with one of my new bags from them. I think at the bottom of the forum he has a link that starts your own forum with them.

jpp
10-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Mole,

My bag is at least 5 years old if not more. So I don't think they can help but I will try. Thanks for the tip.

PeterA
10-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey guys,
There is a fairly easy way to fix a broken perf weld on one of our catchers. I agree that is is pretty hard to have the perf rewelded- most of the jobs I have seen don't hold up very well (it is much easier to weld the frame). You can always send the bagger back to us for repair. Even if the catcher is out of warranty we can still repair it for a modest fee. If it is just a piece of perforated aluminum that has broken away from the frame, you can do a field repair using rivits and some small patches of perf. I am happy to send out some materials to any lawnsite people who call. Within reason, I will send out a few scraps of perforated aluminum and rivets at no charge. I can also give some advice on doing a repair. Please feel free to call me if you have any problems with our bagger.

John Gamba
10-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Hey guys,
There is a fairly easy way to fix a broken perf weld on one of our catchers. I agree that is is pretty hard to have the perf rewelded- most of the jobs I have seen don't hold up very well (it is much easier to weld the frame). You can always send the bagger back to us for repair. Even if the catcher is out of warranty we can still repair it for a modest fee. If it is just a piece of perforated aluminum that has broken away from the frame, you can do a field repair using rivits and some small patches of perf. I am happy to send out some materials to any lawnsite people who call. Within reason, I will send out a few scraps of perforated aluminum and rivets at no charge. I can also give some advice on doing a repair. Please feel free to call me if you have any problems with our bagger.

If you can send Peter a pic i will help him help you in fixing the problem.
John