PDA

View Full Version : Unloading leaves from pickup

chevytrucks84
10-06-2004, 01:23 AM
This year we (the company i work for) is going to try something new when we bag leaves so we dont have to run two trucks and trailers to work. In the past we had one trailer with all the mowing equipment and another trailer with the leaf sucker and a box on it. This year we are putting the vacum on the toung of the trailer and blowing it into the back of the truck. We will obviously be disconnecting the trailer but I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion on the easiest way to unload the truck, we have one of the load handler things that are supposed to work well but we havne't had it out of the box yet. Didn't know if anyone had tried one of these or not. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Thanks alot
Patrick

rick2752
10-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Someone just mentioned that, line the bed with a tarp and then pull out the tarp.

walker-talker
10-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Get a dump insert and set you leaf vac like this.

LwnmwrMan22
10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
A guy here turns the chute around on his leaf-loader, then blows the leaves out of his truck.

soonernation
10-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Until I can afford the $6000 dump bed I want, I have been forced to find alternative ways to dump my grass and leaves. I like layering tarps every foot or so.

minerapex
10-06-2004, 06:23 PM
I have used the load handler and that will do the job, in fact I still have and use mine. Depending on what kind of truck you have you might be able to just make the bed dump. Kits for that are only like 800-900 dollars.

JKOOPERS
10-06-2004, 06:30 PM
get a piece of plywood 1" thick smaller than the front of the box put 1 eyelid bolt close to the corner with a piece of metal on both sides acting as a washer . then connected chains from each eyelid all the same length. then attached the four to one long chain and then you can put the chain around a tree or hook to a tractor and just pull the board out and the leaves come with it

Mark McC
10-06-2004, 06:35 PM
get a piece of plywood 1" thick smaller than the front of the box put 1 eyelid bolt close to the corner with a piece of metal on both sides acting as a washer . then connected chains from each eyelid all the same length. then attached the four to one long chain and then you can put the chain around a tree or hook to a tractor and just pull the board out and the leaves come with it

Interesting idea, but not much help if one dumps the leaves at a site where there are no trees handy for such things, like a municipal or county dump.

Mark McC
10-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Get a dump insert and set you leaf vac like this.

Walker, that rig, trailer and all, HAS to be forty feet long. Can you actually drive that rig without running over something 'cause the loader blocked your view?

JKOOPERS
10-06-2004, 06:38 PM
well some times they have tractors there or if it isnt to heavy can wrap the chain around limbs and crap that is in the pile. i have used this system on removing leaves from a 20 ft box trailer works great

out4now
10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Eliminate the problem. If the job is big enough, rent a roll off container and work it into the price let the roll off company worry about it. None of your time eaten up. Guys here are doing it now with all the grass they're scalping so they can squeeze in more jobs.

walker-talker
10-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Walker, that rig, trailer and all, HAS to be forty feet long. Can you actually drive that rig without running over something 'cause the loader blocked your view?
The bed of the truck is 13.5' long and pulling a 16' trailer, so you right...it's probably close to 40' long. I have no problems turning in a city culdasac as long as there are no other vehicles parked. As far as an obstruction goes...not really much. It's hard to tell at the angle of the photo, but its off-set to the right a little bit. When I am driving in the right had lane, you can hardly tell that it's there. I have seen city trucks with similar set-ups for sucking sewage (or something) so I don't think it's illegal. I have passed many of cops and never has anything happened.

cantoo
10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
I bought a truck that had a dump bed on it. I took off the dump bed and installed it on my work truck then I sold the first truck for a little more than I paid for it. I ended up with a free dump bed on my work truck for only a few hours work.

LA LAWNS
10-06-2004, 11:15 PM
i have a load handler. it works great. i can unload a bed full of sand, top soil, leaves, whatever, it seconds.
some times you need to dig out behind the wheel wells in the bed or the load gets "locked" in..."loadlock"
LA LAWNS

MOOSE
10-07-2004, 08:35 PM
On my pickup we have 2 1/2 foot sides on top of the bed rails and It holds about 6-7 yards of leaves.

I put a pallet in front with a chain attached and when we go to the dump we ask for a pull off. Works great and saves time.