PDA

View Full Version : dew surcharge

bobbygedd
10-06-2004, 07:22 AM
i'm thinking off adding a dew surcharge to my invoices. the last few weeks, the dew is so heavy, it's like rain. lawns that take normally 25 minutes are taking an hour. it takes till like 1pm for the dew to dry up. so what do u think? dew surcharge?

mkroher
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
go for it.

since this past Spring, I've added an extra $8 to ALL invoices every month. and called it the "gas fee". I added it without warning, and did not include a reason for it.

i've had about %1 of the customers just "ask" about it. But. NO ONE complained.

If they don't like it.. tell them to find someone else :)

Not only does the dew suck, but you're also losing daylight.

kickin sum grass
10-06-2004, 07:34 AM
dew it...............................

dishboy
10-06-2004, 07:37 AM
i'm thinking off adding a dew surcharge to my invoices. the last few weeks, the dew is so heavy, it's like rain. lawns that take normally 25 minutes are taking an hour. it takes till like 1pm for the dew to dry up. so what do u think? dew surcharge?

Good luck with that one, I don't think it will fly. I always do my smallest lawns first that allow me to use the small mower either mulching or adding extra lift to the Honda HRC 216. The time penalty using the the 21 in the wet on small lawns is minimal.

crawdad
10-06-2004, 07:40 AM
A dew surcharge? Along with the gas surcharge, the dog-poo surcharge, the "pickin up hoses" surcharge, the trampoline surcharge, the mow on Friday surcharge, the picking up branches surcharge, the PITA surcharge...etc.
No, I don't reckon I'll have a dew surcharge. I figure all that into the price in the first place.
Crawdad

geogunn
10-06-2004, 07:47 AM
what we have here is called MOUNTAIN DEW..... :laugh:

GEO

crawdad
10-06-2004, 07:56 AM
what we have here is called MOUNTAIN DEW..... :laugh:

GEO
...and it'll cause you to start work a bit late too!
Crawdad

Mikes Lawn Landscape
10-06-2004, 08:07 AM
A dew surcharge? Along with the gas surcharge, the dog-poo surcharge, the "pickin up hoses" surcharge, the trampoline surcharge, the mow on Friday surcharge, the picking up branches surcharge, the PITA surcharge...etc.
No, I don't reckon I'll have a dew surcharge. I figure all that into the price in the first place.
Crawdad

Lawn Mowing=$25.00
Dew Surcharge=$5.00
Gas Surcharge=$2.00
Obstacle removal=$3.00
Trampoline Surcharge=$5.00
Friday Mow=$2.00
Difficult Customer Surcharge=$5.00

Total $47.00

Not having to worry about getting up in the morning because you don't have any customers = PRICELESS

lqmustang
10-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Looks like I'll have to add the frost surcharge this morning, it's pretty heavy on my lawn at least. I'll give it about and hour to burn off a bit, then switch to the dew surcharge once it start melting. lol :D

Mark McC
10-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Lawn Mowing=$25.00
Dew Surcharge=$5.00
Gas Surcharge=$2.00
Obstacle removal=$3.00
Friday Mow=$2.00

Total $47.00

Not having to worry about getting up in the morning because you don't have any customers = PRICELESS

This is as funny as anything I've seen on this site all year.

I dunno about a dew surcharge. Agreed that it's adding to the work, but when you hit 'em with it, won't they just say "mow my lawn in the afternoon"?

Lbilawncare
10-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I say try it, then tell us how it worked. We have nothing to lose.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
10-06-2004, 08:33 AM
I say try it, then tell us how it worked. We have nothing to lose.

hehehehehehe :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

grasscapeinc
10-06-2004, 08:49 AM
LMAO!! :laugh:

Lawn Mowing=$25.00
Dew Surcharge=$5.00
Gas Surcharge=$2.00
Obstacle removal=$3.00
Friday Mow=$2.00

Total $47.00

Up North
10-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Bobby, for anyone with dew on their lawns why not just skip them for 3 weeks like you've done before...that'll teach em'. :D

Buck

crawdad
10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I run special "dew blades" on my mower.
Crawdad

Up North
10-06-2004, 09:44 AM
I run special "dew blades" on my mower.
Crawdad

You dew? Can't you just run the mower over the lawn at a high deck level to dry the grass first, then lower the deck and go back over it for the cut? :D :D

Buck

MMLawn
10-06-2004, 11:42 AM
I dew not charge a dew charge but if I ever dew charge a dew charge I probably won't be dewing many lawns any more dew to that dew charge :waving:

Doster's L & L
10-06-2004, 12:17 PM
How many surcharges could one person possibly some up with?? A dew surcharge?? Hell, go for it! Why not? I'm sure your customers are already expecting another charge for something new anyway. I'm sure it's been a few weeks since their latest surcharge, they probably figure they're "dew" another new charge. Oh well, might as well and see how many new charges one can impose, yet can still get away with it. Dew it and let us know how it turned out.

lawnmowingboys
10-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Brilliant!
If you can surcharge for dew making the grass wet, then I can certainly charge for RAIN making the grass wet!
Now will all make money, RAIN or SHINE!

bobbygedd
10-06-2004, 02:13 PM
ok, come on now, i know you all been waiting years to say it. repeat after me:" MR. GEDD, you are a genious :)

Doster's L & L
10-06-2004, 02:36 PM
LMAO!! :D I dont know about all of the "genious" talk, but you "dew" seem to get away with more than any other business owner gets away with.

Here's Bobby on a surcharge rampage:

"What? You staring at my mohawk?" "You get a staring surcharge!" "Come back? You don't like THAT surcharge? Here you go! Here's a disapproval of my surcharge surcharge." "What is that look all about? Are you trying to get ANOTHER surcharge? That's what i thought! Don't make me slap another surcharge on you!"

Bobby, if you get away with the dew surcharge, we'll call you "lucky", maybe even "good", but i'm not so sure about "genious" though. lol

rodfather
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
ok, come on now, i know you all been waiting years to say it. repeat after me:" MR. GEDD, you are a genious :)

I thought your new handle was Bob Almighty?

bobbygedd
10-06-2004, 05:07 PM
well, that's what jodi started calling me, and i kinda liked it.

jim dailey
10-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Booby, dew you really expect this one to flush?

Tvov
10-06-2004, 06:49 PM
ROTFLMAO!!

Great thread!

I am considering a "sun" surcharge, because of the extra water I have to drink on hot, sunny days takes time from mowing...

Wait a minute, then dew I also have to add a "hot" surcharge...?

Wait, wait, then there's the "water" surcharge...

TURF DOCTOR
10-06-2004, 08:13 PM
GEEEEE I never thought of that one go for it.

grasscapeinc
10-06-2004, 08:20 PM
This thread made my day

HOOLIE
10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Your idea sounds very dewable. Bobby, ever think of changing your name to Sir Charge?

Travis Followell
10-06-2004, 09:35 PM
If it takes you longer then i would definately add a small surcharge but just don't over do it because you might start loosing accounts.

j&c
10-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Lawn Mowing=$25.00
Dew Surcharge=$5.00
Gas Surcharge=$2.00
Obstacle removal=$3.00
Friday Mow=$2.00

Total $47.00

good analogy this needs to be seen again.... not seen but understood

Liberty Lawncare
10-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Nah have an extra coffie and watch the chicks at the local coffe joint and start at like 9:30 the dew is lighter by then. :cool:

Up North
10-07-2004, 11:03 AM
You dew? Can't you just run the mower over the lawn at a high deck level to dry the grass first, then lower the deck and go back over it for the cut? :D :D

Buck

I got a negative ding for that??? Guess a guy can't kid around a little...geez. Have some balls and at least sign it.

Buck

dkeisala
10-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Your idea sounds very dewable. Bobby, ever think of changing your name to Sir Charge?

Now THAT'S funny!!!

GreenMonster
10-07-2004, 01:53 PM
I got a negative ding for that??? Guess a guy can't kid around a little...geez. Have some balls and at least sign it.

Buck

further evidence of the reputation system foolishness. I'll even that one off for you. I'm sure you'll be able to return the favor someday :waving:

This system needs to automatically sign "dings". Gutless wonders......

Doster's L & L
10-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Ok i've been off of lawnsite for a while and ofcourse i noticed the new format as well as a few other things.... are there "rules" that you go by somewhere that i havent noticed that tells you whether or not you give a good "ding" or a bad "ding"? It's kinda obvious why you'd give a bad ding (excessive cussing, trolling, sheer stupidity, and the like... OH yeah, mis splellingz too ;)). Now, of course should the opposite occur, you give 'em a good ding.

Does all of this happen at the sole discretion of the reader or what? Anyone can start randomly giving other members bad dings out of fury because someone else called them a scrub, for example? I'm just curious about the whole "ding" thing. If there is a link that'll tell me more, jsut leave it and i'll check it out. Thanks!

GreenMonster
10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Yeah, Doster.

You got it about right. You can be dinged for calling someone a scrub, just ask quality, lol -- Sorry quality.

Here's a little more.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=82581

Too add to someone's reputation, click on the scales in the upper right hand corner on one of their thread posts. If you drag your cursor on the little green bar (or red if they've been bad) just below the scales, you can see their "status". Unfortunately, the status descriptions are quite vague.:confused:

I personnally don't care too much for the system, but I'm giving it a try.

Soupy
10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
This thread made me laugh :p A point for everyone :blob3: Well I got through the first page, I'll have to come back later and get the rest of you guys. I gave to many points today :cry:

Doster's L & L
10-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Ahhh, i see now. There are SOME efforts being put into keeping things half way fair in that noone blows away another person by repeatedly taking away points, nor highly exalting them by adding point after point. I guess things are not gonna be perfect. It's a good idea i guess, yet there are flaws....

I DID see where quality got the life sucked out of him by calling a dude a scrub, but i didn't know about all the talk for giving bad dings though. Yep, he got blasted! LOL

QualityLawnCare4u
10-08-2004, 06:41 AM
Bobby, heres a yard I done last Tuesday.

1) mow yard (has nor been mowed in 6 weeks) $35

2) move 100 yds. of hose--nc

3) back yard loaded with dog sh-t (5 dogs) nc

4) grass was soaked with dew-- nc

5) move 50 feet of dog chain--nc

yard took 1.5 hours, the lady told me that I should be ashamed for charging her 35 bucks to do her yard! Bobby, if you can get it, go for it! Still want to trade places?

Danny

oh yeah, had to spend another 20 minutes washing dog sh-t of mower when I got home.

crawdad
10-08-2004, 07:07 AM
You should have told her that you were ashamed to do it that cheap.
Crawdad

bobbygedd
10-08-2004, 07:34 AM
should have asked to use her phone, and wiped dog crap on her carpet. this is what i would seriously do. sell house, move somewhere that there is work. i wouldn't stay in an area where i couldn't make a living.

macaw
10-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Try Meg-Mo blades wet grass don't phase them.

scott in the soo
10-08-2004, 09:16 AM
bobby, is this first time you encountered dew,, you come on here like a know-it-all but then ask these stupid questions,,

your starting to lose your credibility bud, with me anyways..

bobbygedd
10-08-2004, 10:31 AM
that's very unfortunate scott. i thought of this the other day when i was cutting grass and leaving huge clumps . lawns that were usually taking 20-25 min, were now close to an hour. by noon i usually have at least 10-12 lawns done, that day i had 4 by 12:15. sorry to dissapoint you, but i learned a long time ago, if you worry about what everyone thinks about you, you are in big trouble.

Doster's L & L
10-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Bobby, heres a yard I done last Tuesday.

1) mow yard (has nor been mowed in 6 weeks) $35

2) move 100 yds. of hose--nc

3) back yard loaded with dog sh-t (5 dogs) nc

4) grass was soaked with dew-- nc

5) move 50 feet of dog chain--nc

yard took 1.5 hours, the lady told me that I should be ashamed for charging her 35 bucks to do her yard! Bobby, if you can get it, go for it! Still want to trade places?

Danny

oh yeah, had to spend another 20 minutes washing dog sh-t of mower when I got home.

So THIS is the crap that you go through that has put you out of business!?!? Awww man! Yeah, i'm with bobby! You gotta set your roots somewhere else and start up new! Sounds like you're in a dead market my friend. If you like being in this industry, i'd commute an hour to a larger city/town and market it like crazy, get your base customers, and i think you'll be lots better off than where you are now. Good luck to you!

GreenMonster
10-08-2004, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd]that's very unfortunate scott. i thought of this the other day when i was cutting grass and leaving huge clumps . lawns that were usually taking 20-25 min, were now close to an hour. QUOTE]

Bobby,

Have you considered actually catching grass with your grass catcher? :p

snippy
10-08-2004, 02:01 PM
should have asked to use her phone, and wiped dog crap on her carpet. .

Yeah thats good advice for sure, I looked at a job for some old fruitcake that had cats, dogs, birds the whole lot, it was like a zoo!
Anyways she wanted me to cut the lawn... I mean weeds... which were anywhere up to 3 feet tall but the place was so disgusting I was just about dry reaching.
She had a number of dogs and liked to clean up the dog turds once they had finished doing there business and by that I mean once they had died and stopped a crappin.
Anyways there'd be no point in wiping crap on her floor afterwards coz the dogs had already been there and done that so she wouldn't know the difference anyway... I couldn't get out of there fast enough...turns out no one would do it so the Government sent in some workers and did it for free on account of the fact she was a pensioner and a loon as well.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-08-2004, 02:04 PM
So THIS is the crap that you go through that has put you out of business!?!? Awww man! Yeah, i'm with bobby! You gotta set your roots somewhere else and start up new! Sounds like you're in a dead market my friend. If you like being in this industry, i'd commute an hour to a larger city/town and market it like crazy, get your base customers, and i think you'll be lots better off than where you are now. Good luck to you!

Believe it or not, this was one of my better deals, she ACTUALLY paid me when I was thru. I just finished going over my tickets and I have over a 1000 bucks I have not been paid for in past 2 months. May not be much to some of you folks but is a bunch to me.

Danny

Tscape
10-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I didn't read this 5 page thread, but the title sounds ridiculous!

bobbygedd
10-08-2004, 03:09 PM
greenmonster, your second year in business??? maybe after 4, you'll see that using a catcher in wet grass is even worse than side discharging

MMLawn
10-08-2004, 03:27 PM
2AM Saturday 10/9

BobbyG: "Look, Dude, Mr. Customer, sir. Dew you see this big wad in the front of my pants? Dew you know what that is? That wad means I dew the calling of the shots not you so I will dew whatever I wish"

Cust: "sorry, Mr Gedd, sir you dew whatever you wish and all I wil dew is pay up"

:cool2:

GreenMonster
10-08-2004, 10:00 PM
greenmonster, your second year in business??? maybe after 4, you'll see that using a catcher in wet grass is even worse than side discharging

We do have a wet one that works out best to do first thing on Friday's. Best results we've had is by catching it. Otherwise it clumps s/ding.

I was just messin' with ya anyhow. :)

Hopefully after four years I'll have enough install work that I won't have to mow grass.