PDA

View Full Version : ford f- 550/GM C-4500?????

swing blade
10-06-2004, 11:05 AM
ok, I went out looking for a new truck today and i am very interested in Gm's Kodiak C4500. I was really only planning on purchasing a 1 ton but it wasn't that much more cost to get a larger truck like the C-4500. I looked at ford and there comporable truck is either the F-450 or 550. The price difference is around 1500 betewwn the two so if I were to purchase a ford it would more than likely be the F-550. I had it quoted with a crew cab, 200 inch wheel base, 4x4, Deisel torqueshift transmission. It will also have a 12' dump body on it. Do any of you use either the Ford F-450 or F-550, or the C-4500, and if so, how do you like them? Would you recommend any certian options? Are there any items we should look out for? We currently are doing a lot of lawn care and are doing around 25 landscaping accounts each year. These landscaping accounts are full service, meaning we do all the weeding, watering, fertilizing, planting, pruning, etc. I also work closely with my partners step father who is an excavator, and we are beginning to utilize his equipment so I need to ability to tow a backhoe or anything along those weights. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mdirrigation
10-06-2004, 08:55 PM
If you need to tow a backhoe you will need bigger than a f 550 to be safe . Towing it is one thing stopping it is another

rob1325
10-06-2004, 09:52 PM
If you get a crew cab and a 12" body hope you dont plan on plowing unles it is wide open lot. My bud got same thing and hates it for plowing because to long.

i_plant_art
10-06-2004, 11:17 PM
i would go with the ford personally... ive have my share of GM vehicles and nothing even compares to the towing camacity of the Fords... ive got a F350 PSD 4x4 and its a hoss..... will tow anything... ive used a F450 and F550 and they both are hoss's daddy for sure.... i see alot of guys using GM but they dont seem to last as long, and always need repairs form what i hear due to the stress of towing and hauling all the time. just my .02

Smalltimer1
10-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Go with the F-550. The '05 F-550's have a better turning radius than the 4500. If you go to the Chevy place, they're gonna feed you last years numbers when the 4500 had a better radius. The 6-Liter Power Stroke diesel in the Ford is also the 325hp/570tq. one. The Duramax in the 4500 is derated to 220hp I believe.

FIRESCOOBY
10-06-2004, 11:49 PM
What size backhoe are you talking about? If it is a small one such as a Kubota, either will be fine. If you are talking like a Ford 555, then the F-550 is out, and maybe the 4500.

The GM will have a MUCH better turning radius. We have three 550 crew cabs in emergency service (2 7.3's, 1 6.0). The 6.0 runs a little better, but the tranny is MUCH MUCH better. Ours are loaded about 1500lbs below max GVW and they all are crap to stop. You can't hardly turn them around in a 40 acre field either.

Good luck.

Smalltimer1
10-06-2004, 11:57 PM
The '05 F-450 and 550 have the larger diameter and thicker brakes. That will eliminate the stopping issues. They also have improved the turning radius better than the C-4500 this year with the redesign. I second the 6-Liter/Torqshift combo. I drove one last weekend and it really hauls buggy and has great compression braking.

GardenofWeeden
10-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Check state regulations on a Commercials Driviers License and in some cases a Health Card to get it. 10,000 lbs. is the towing capibility of everyday drivers. Anything above you need a CDL. The Health Card is ensuring you can see, hear, and function normally. However, some people fail and therefore lose the opportunity for a CDL.
Just my .02 also. I am looking at the F-450 myself. I like Ford's Credit program. :o)

myoder
10-07-2004, 11:24 PM
JMO, I would get the c4500 or 5500... Very nice trucks.

The LB7 is in the topkicks with 300hp

swing blade
10-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Check state regulations on a Commercials Driviers License and in some cases a Health Card to get it. 10,000 lbs. is the towing capibility of everyday drivers. Anything above you need a CDL. The Health Card is ensuring you can see, hear, and function normally. However, some people fail and therefore lose the opportunity for a CDL.
Just my .02 also. I am looking at the F-450 myself. I like Ford's Credit program. :o)

Thanks for the input everyone. Garden of weeden, I have wondered about that issue, how does that work. I can go rent a u-haul truck and I don't need a CDL and I think their rated at 26k. The f-550 is 17,500 according to the brochure. Also I thought that if it was equiped with air brakes you were required to carry a cdl. Is there more to it in indiana than that or how does it work?

GardenofWeeden
10-08-2004, 09:31 AM
You know, I am not sure why U-Haul is differant. When I was looking at buying a F450 Flat baed, New Holland TC 35 w/ attachment and Tandem axle trailer, I was in no need of a CDL. If I load the F-450 to the gills...tow the tractor and attachments then I am pushing the weight restrictions. Honestly, I went to Alabama to expand, and thanks to the Ford Salesman he made me aware of the CDL issue. My brother loaded a big Uhaul and drove it from Pennsylvania to Newport News. The thing was so big and heavy I asked him if they required any sort of 'test' prior to him pulling out. He said NO! I was almost scared to think anyone can do this. (My brother is capable but for some others...I was scared... :o)
For insurance reasons and a risk to your business, I would definately look into the requirements for your state. It was an issue we have to plan for.
Police in Newport News, VA are pretty strict on overweight issues with any sort of transportation having a Business logo on the side. However, for the local yocal with scrap steel in the back and the bumper scraping the ground, and sparking under the gas tank....they don't seem to care. ;)
Each state is differant...Air brakes...definate CDL. Weight is another criteria you need to check with your local DMV or State DOT office.
Alabama is differant from Virginia...and MUCH MUCH more small business friendly...

Smalltimer1
10-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Garden of weeden, I have wondered about that issue, how does that work. I can go rent a u-haul truck and I don't need a CDL and I think their rated at 26k. The f-550 is 17,500 according to the brochure. Also I thought that if it was equiped with air brakes you were required to carry a cdl. Is there more to it in indiana than that or how does it work?

The way it's been explained to me, here in NC, is that if the truck has tandem axles, you need a CDL. If the truck grosses over 26000 alone, then you need a CDL. However, here in NC, our dump truck ('87 Chevy C-70 w/ 16' bed) is over the weight limit and has air brakes, but it doesn't require a CDL because of the tags on it. We put Commercial Farm Truck tags on it. The cops are less likely to stop a Farm Truck tagged dumper than a strictly commercial truck. So far, we've never been stopped in the 5 years we've had the truck. It's a 10 ton dump single axle.

fcl01
10-08-2004, 02:32 PM
i had back surgery 3 yrs ago, so when i test drove the 4500, i about got broke in half. i expected a rough ride, as with any heavy duty truck, but the seats were horrible. Id buy a ford for that reason alone. i dont need cadilac comfort but da*n, for 30k+, i want something i can sit in for awhile.

Dan

Electra_Glide
10-08-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm 99.999% sure the requirements for CDL are universal regardless of which state you're talking about. Now, enforcement may be another issue.

Quoting from the PA CDL manual, a CDL is required for either of the following:

1) Any single vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2) A combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 26,000 lbs., provided the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.

In other words, if your driving a single vehicle, regardless of vehicle type, number of axles, or type of brakes a CDL is NOT required if that vehicle weighs LESS than 26000 lbs. That's why anybody can go down to the local U-Haul place and rent any of their trucks.

As far as pulling a trailer, as long as the trailer is LESS than 10000 lbs, you do NOT need a CDL to pull it. In fact you can even pull that 10000 lb trailer with a 26000 lb. truck, and still NOT need a CDL. As soon as the trailer goes over 10,000 lbs, you pretty much need a CDL to pull it, although technically, you could pull a 12,000 lb. trailer with a 14,000 lb. truck and still be under CDL. Now I've had some dealers (both truck and trailer) try and tell me that you can under-register your vehicles (register it for less weight than the manufacturer specs) and get around CDL requirements, but it's not clear to me if that can really be done or not.

As far as the DOT is concerned, everything has to do with the registered weights of your vehicles and not the actual weights. (unless of course you're overloaded, which is a whole different set of problems) Going down the road in an empty truck and pulling an empty trailer is no different than being fully loaded as far as CDL requirements are concerned.

Somebody wanting to pull a full-size backhoe is looking at something in the range of a 10-ton trailer (20000 lbs), which is definitely going to require a CDL.

That's the way I understand it, and that's the way I've had it explained to me. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the cop who pulls you over is going to see things the same way. My neighbor is a PA state cop, and I really need to pick his brain to see if he agrees with all of this.

Sorry for rambling...

Joe Kantz

bcx400
10-08-2004, 06:10 PM
I am also in the market for a new truck- looking at ford and gmc products. I am NOT interested in buying a truck because of the brand name. I don't understand why so many guys insist on Ford only, or GMC only. Look at the specs, test drive, and make a decision based on the how the truck fits your needs.

I bought a Kubota L48 that weighs 7600 lbs. I need a truck and trailer to pull the machine. My F350 and my GMC 3500 HD would have a hard time pulling the combination of a trailer that weighs +/- 3000 lbs. with a 7600 lb. machine.

After lots of research, my needs will be best fullfilled by an '05 GMC topkick 5500. I can get the truck with a 26,000 lb. gvwr (also 26,000 lb combination weight rating). The truck with a Reading-brand landscape body will weigh in at +/- 12,500 lbs. I can buy a 12,000 lb gvwr trailer and still haul my machine.

If the Ford trucks had the specs that the drivetrain in the Gmc had, I would consider them. (the GMC has a 300hp duramax/allison 2200 transmision).

UNISCAPER
10-08-2004, 08:22 PM
You can get a 400 cubic inch or a 583 cubic inch DuraMax in the 4500/5500. Ours is coming with the 583 cubic inch version. It has 400 hp. The 400 cubic inch Duramax displaces 325 hp.

I love Fords cab, but once was a guiney pig when they introduced thier E4OD tranny, which, after a progression of improvements went from garbage, to trash, and eventually migrated to a recyclable. I have a friend who own a transmission/torque converter shop, who, WAS a die hard Ford truck person. On the third occasion the transmission failed, he was on his way to a race with his truck at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. 300 miles out, the tranny went again, he missed missed the drivers meeting, and was forced to start at the back of the pack, which, cost him alot of money. He gave the truck back, got a Duramax/Allison combo, and has not had an issue in over 120,000 miles.

I love Ford's truck, but it is way too soon for me to be buying into another piece of junk like the E4OD. I don't care what the Ford team has reengineered. I prefer live real peoples reports over what salesman tell me.....After a few years, and when the snow plowers report back after 3 seasons or so, and after the guys hauling through our mountains tell me to, only then would I consider a Ford.

I'm not making a bash here at all. I have Fords, Chevies, and play with all types of street cars/trucks, but the down time that one Ford cost me so long ago out weighed the truck cost. In comparison, I bought a Chevy in '94 with a 350/L80E in it...the first tranny went at 160,000, after plowing several winters. The engine went at 543,000, and I traded the truck for a Duramax at nearly 800,000. Smoking like a bear, I'm sure it is making some Mexican a great ride (it was sold at auction in Tijuana).

Gravel Rat
10-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Chev really screwed themselve building the 4500 and 5500 because they are DOT catchers you travel in traffic the DOT can spot you like a sore thumb. A F-550 can fly by a weigh scale without even raising a eye brow try do the same with a 4500 chev.

If I was going for a 2 ton truck it would be 550 or a 450 the Chev 4500 is pretty much a low pro truck with no payload. The cab on the truck is huge you got no ground clearance its pretty much a medium duty truck with a light duty chassis.

The one place I worked at we used to put 11,000lbs on a 550 it packed it pretty good the truck goes where ever a P/U truck goes. The F-450 and F-550 trucks are work horses I have a F-Superduty which is the first version of the F-450s hell the truck packs 6000lbs like nothing.

The new Chevs are look at me DOT I'am over 12,000lb gvw come fine me for being overloaded or in a neighbourhood that doesn't allow heavy trucks on the street. Even the 1.5 and 2 ton Coe trucks are DOT eye catchers because they don't blend in with the other vehicals.

In this area the DOT loves to pick on commercial vehicals anything over 12,000lb gvw here is a commercial truck which needs to use the brake checks and highway scales. The problem with a 12,000lb gvw truck is it can't pack anything so a person needs togo to a 450 sized truck for the 15,000lb gvw and 6000lb payload.

You want to keep the DOT off your back once they start snooping around they are looking to create trouble with you. If they suspect your heavy they may put the portable scales on you if you are overloaded its hello fines. Once they got you pinned they start going over the rest of the truck to find safety violations like burn't out tailights and ripped seats. They will find anything to fine you on and write you up a violation ticket.

If you have a trailer hooked up to the truck they will see what the gvw it is if its over 10,000lbs they will say wheres you CDL sir. More fines for operating a vehical without the proper drivers license.

When your running smaller scale trucks like 1 tons avoiding the DOT is a must because it can get expensive if they start picking on you. Like I said the new 4500s and 5500 Chevs are like having flashing lights and a neon arrow pointing at you.

bcx400
10-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Here in eastern PA, DOT stops have gotten way out of hand. All stops/inspections are performed by the local police dept. They are not just pulling over tri-axle or cdl-size trucks. Pickup trucks with trailers packed full of lawn mowers are getting nailed. Any truck with a load and no tarp is getting nailed.

Point is, why let the local police have any influence over what type of truck you buy? If you require a CDL, then get it! If you are always overloading a truck, consider getting a truck with a higher gvw.

UNISCAPER
10-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Points well taken Gravel Rat. When we lived in the chicago area, DOT and truck enforcement officers were all over. Basically, thier job was not to make safer roadways as their title would claim, rather, they were revenue collecters. If you were overwieght, the truck was siezed until you brought cash, certified check, or visa to bail it out, and they would give you the option of going to court to fight the beef, AFTER YOU PAID!!!

Here in SoCal, we don't have that as an issue, the police have better things to do. Every one of our drivers has a CDL simply because no matter weather we pull with the one ton pick up, or the Mack Granite, or the Peterbuilt, what we pull requires a CDL. The frame on the 4500 is just as strong as the 550 and it does carry just as much weight, legally. If you want to get stupid and overload the truck, not only are you running the risk of fines and legal issues, you are tearing your truck up, no matter who made it.

Smalltimer1
10-10-2004, 01:39 AM
I love Fords cab, but once was a guiney pig when they introduced thier E4OD tranny, which, after a progression of improvements went from garbage, to trash, and eventually migrated to a recyclable. I have a friend who own a transmission/torque converter shop, who, WAS a die hard Ford truck person. On the third occasion the transmission failed, he was on his way to a race with his truck at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. 300 miles out, the tranny went again, he missed missed the drivers meeting, and was forced to start at the back of the pack, which, cost him alot of money. He gave the truck back, got a Duramax/Allison combo, and has not had an issue in over 120,000 miles.

I love Ford's truck, but it is way too soon for me to be buying into another piece of junk like the E4OD. I don't care what the Ford team has reengineered. I prefer live real peoples reports over what salesman tell me.....After a few years, and when the snow plowers report back after 3 seasons or so, and after the guys hauling through our mountains tell me to, only then would I consider a Ford.

Again I say, what happened to those 5 Allison transmissions in my grandfather's Chevy diesel in 125,000 miles, even with regular maintenance??? They're not that great.

He's looking at the Ford 6.0L/Torqshift right now to replace these piles of Allison crap laying around the barns at the farm. My E40D has made it to 90,000 miles so far, and I KNOW it will make it at least another 90,000 miles. I have the tranny fluid and filter changed every 30,000 miles, just like the book says, and I ain't had NO trouble from it whatsoever. Of course my other grandfather had a '90 with a E40D, and his made it to 280,000 miles before it had any issues.

GeoffDiamond
10-10-2004, 10:09 AM
You can get a 400 cubic inch or a 583 cubic inch DuraMax in the 4500/5500. Ours is coming with the 583 cubic inch version. It has 400 hp. The 400 cubic inch Duramax displaces 325 hp.

I'm not making a bash here at all. I have Fords, Chevies, and play with all types of street cars/trucks, but the down time that one Ford cost me so long ago out weighed the truck cost. In comparison, I bought a Chevy in '94 with a 350/L80E in it...the first tranny went at 160,000, after plowing several winters. The engine went at 543,000, and I traded the truck for a Duramax at nearly 800,000. Smoking like a bear, I'm sure it is making some Mexican a great ride (it was sold at auction in Tijuana).

The E4OD was not even in production when the durmax allison combo was on the market. In late 1998 the E40D was replaced by the 4R100 when the super duty F series were released.

Geoff

UNISCAPER
10-10-2004, 03:00 PM
The 4R100 is a glorified E4OD. When I had one of those first E4OD's, I lost so much confidence in ford trannies that is going to take alot to ever convince me thier issues have been fixed. Cases in point...When back home, after the large snawfalls, the transmission shops parking lots were filled with Ford and dodge trucks, and very very few GM products.

As far as the guy whose grandfather lost 5 transmissions, you are the first case ever that I have heard the Allison has failed, as well as the first E4OD to make it beyond 80,000 miles.

I own both makes of truck, Ford, and Chevy. If Ford shows a history of getting it right this time, I will look at them again. When mine came unglued, we lost thousands in snow revenue, and several accounts. Making money costs too much when you loose it over a truck that you never expected to be bad. I hope this time Ford got it straight. As said before, I like thier cabs over Chevy. Thier chassis is really no different. The Chevy driveshaft is larger in diameter than the one on our Mack.

They took the steps necessary to make a work truck. I hope Ford has done the same. And only time will tell that, not sensless bickering over brands......

Ursushorribilus
10-10-2004, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=bcx400]
I bought a Kubota L48 that weighs 7600 lbs. I need a truck and trailer to pull the machine. My F350 and my GMC 3500 HD would have a hard time pulling the combination of a trailer that weighs +/- 3000 lbs. with a 7600 lb. machine.

QUOTE]

bcx400, I'm in the process of buying an L48, and I was hoping to tow it with a 1 ton chevy cargo van with a 6.5 turbo-diesel, rated for something like 16,000 lbs towing. I looked at the specs of a 1 ton chevy truck a few days ago and it too was rated for 16,000 lbs towing. I'm new at this, so there may be something I don't understand, but the combined weight of the L48 and the trailer are less than 16,000 lbs, so either vehicle I've mentioned should do the job shouldn't it? Tony

Smalltimer1
10-10-2004, 11:32 PM
The 4R100 is a glorified E4OD. When I had one of those first E4OD's, I lost so much confidence in ford trannies that is going to take alot to ever convince me thier issues have been fixed. Cases in point...When back home, after the large snawfalls, the transmission shops parking lots were filled with Ford and dodge trucks, and very very few GM products.

As far as the guy whose grandfather lost 5 transmissions, you are the first case ever that I have heard the Allison has failed, as well as the first E4OD to make it beyond 80,000 miles.

I own both makes of truck, Ford, and Chevy. If Ford shows a history of getting it right this time, I will look at them again. When mine came unglued, we lost thousands in snow revenue, and several accounts. Making money costs too much when you loose it over a truck that you never expected to be bad. I hope this time Ford got it straight. As said before, I like thier cabs over Chevy. Thier chassis is really no different. The Chevy driveshaft is larger in diameter than the one on our Mack.

They took the steps necessary to make a work truck. I hope Ford has done the same. And only time will tell that, not sensless bickering over brands......

Out of all 10 trucks on the farm, we've only lost 6 trannies, 5 of them being those Allisons in that diesel. The 6th was a Chevy 700R4 in a K-1500. The most reliable truck we've had has been my F-250 with the E40D, I keep the fluid and filter changed and I've had not one single problem approaching 90,000 miles. My other grandfather's 90 F-150 had over 200,000 miles on its original E40D, again, regular fluid and filter changes only, only thing, the little 302 didn't like that heavy truck. The second most reliable truck be had was a '85 Isuzu Pup gas truck, only has 55,000 miles on it now, but it has always cranked and ran when we wanted it to, stays in the storage shed most of the time, it's just not heavy enough for the kinds of work we do on the farm with the sawmill and all. We used to have a '90 F-250 Custom with a 302/ZF-5, had a Reading utility body on it, that truck was awesome, it had been rebuilt with a towing cam in it, and it pulled like nothing else. It was unstoppable in the hills.

bcx400
10-11-2004, 06:11 AM
Ursushorribilus- Check the owners manual on your van for trailering capacities... I could be mistaken, but 16,000 lbs trailering capacity seems like a lot for a 1 ton truck. My 2001 F350 is only rated at 10,000 lbs trailering capacity (I know the newer fords are bumped up in capacity) and my 1999 GMC 3500HD is also rated at 10,000 lbs.

Most light duty trucks will have a stated trailering capacity in the owners manual. I could use my f350 to tow a 10,000 lb gvw trailer and my Kubota L48, if the trailer is built of all aluminum, but the trailer would cost $8500.00. Keep in mind the trailer needs to be at least 20' in length to legally haul this machine. Kubota advertises the L48 being hauled with a 1 ton truck. The advertisement photo shows the L48 on a small trailer with the loader bucket raised up, hanging over the tow vehicle. Here in PA, you would be fined heavily for hauling a machine this way. The loader bucket and backhoe must be resting on the deck of the trailer.

Another issue for me is, I do not want to be hauling 10,000 lbs of tractor and trailer when this is the max the F350 can handle. I'd rather have a truck that can tow a lot more, without putting strain ont the drivetrain. I also know people who tow with their F350/auto trans, and have had problems with the transmission, although I can't speak for the 2004/2005 ford transmission.

I'll be getting a gmc 5500 in the spring, with a gvwr of 26,000 lbs (gcwr also 26,000 lbs.) I also looked at the Ford F650, also a nice truck, with an Allison automatic transmission!

UNISCAPER
10-11-2004, 10:32 AM
One of the most misleading parts of the owners manual is trailering capacities. They rate trucks when they are an hour old, on flat level ground, dry, and the most perfect of driving conditions. The EPA pulled the same crap when they decided to make sulpherless fuels. What they don't say, is the lasting effects of pulling to capacity day in day out, all day long.

If you read pulling capacities of the Sneeze On Titan, they claim it will pull 9500 lbs. Maybe to and from your camping spot a few times a year, but, day in day out, up hills down hills, etc, never going to last. Our nieghbor had one for 3 weeks, then returned it because it would not pull his Tuna boat out of the launch ramp without a tow. Sure, level flat ground, the truck had power, performance and stopping capacities. Not on extreme conditions.

I can pull 16,000 lbs in the 3500, but, we rarely ever go over 10,000, and that is only two or 3 times a week for less than an hour or so. We also pull up 6-8% grades for miles on end, as well as descsend from them. The engine brake really helps in those situations

My thoughts would be if you are pulling a tractor and the weight is encroaching on the maximum, I would over spec my truck. That is why we use the Mack and Peterbuilt for hauling dirt, and most equipment to the jobs, but if we need to, we could use the 3500, F-450, or 4500 trucks. The 450 is due to be replaced this spring, on it's 5th trasnmission and the warrantee is running out so we are dumping it.

Gravel Rat
10-11-2004, 01:04 PM
I do agree bigger is better in some situations if you are a small operation where you work in residential areas or you haul small loads there is no need for a 30,000gvw truck.

In this area for instance there is a line between full out excavation contractors and mini hoe operators and landscapers. The small guys usually only have 1 ton trucks because they are dealing with small jobs. The mini hoe guys are hired because they can go where bigger equipment or where the excavation contractors don't want togo.

If your trying to haul gravel repetive trips to your jobsites with a F-450 at max gvw that doesn't make sense especially if the jobs you do use larger quanities of gravel. A F-450 isn't designed todo what a tandem axle or a 5 ton dump can do where the loads are one after another. The F-450 is good for the jobs where you maybe need 2 loads a day and the truck is used to carry tools and other stuff.

As for trailer towing myself if the trailer is heavier than 12,000lbs go with a single axle 5 ton its safer because your not maxing out the truck. Sure the manufacture says the truck is rated to pull 16,000lbs but that doesn't mean on a regular basis. I would rather pull a heavier trailer behind a heavier truck with bigger brakes etc if your electric brakes on the trailer decide to fail on you atleast the truck has enough braking power to safely stop you.

Smalltimer1
10-11-2004, 06:21 PM
I'd love to have a F-450, but that'd blow me way outta my budget right now. I just got my F-250 back with a new cam, lifters, and pushrods, so it runs like its new now. Some one did offer me $9500 for it Saturday, and I'm thinking very hard about taking them up on their offer.

Mdirrigation
10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Its better in the long run to have excess capacity on a truck than run a truck at its capacity daily . I run a 1993 international low profile rated at 24,000 GVW as an install and service truck for irrigation . I get 14 mpg adverage . I have no regrets with the larger truck

swing blade
10-16-2004, 03:29 PM
wow, i never thought i would have gotten this much feedback!! this is great. after listening to many of you who have been towing large loads, and listening to what your suggesting i think I have come to the following conclusions: I am really needing to haul several large loads of dirt or gravel because i live in a realitively rural area and it takes forever to go back and get another load. But from all of the issues brought up on here i think a 1 ton would be a much better choice at this time. The number of times a week that I would be needing the ability to tow that much weight would be very low. I just thought that if i am going to fianance a truck I might as well make it the biggest I could and the most useable. However, i didn't think about issues like turning radius; i work in some really confining areas and at times I think trying to turn around an f-550 would be like trying to turn around a jumbojet in a wafflehouse parking lot. Thank you all very very much as you have saved me from making a huge mistake.

sincerely,

swing blade

rob1325
10-17-2004, 01:10 AM
The new 2005 F550 turn very nicely now. I have a 2001 and yes it does take alot of room to turn but the 2005 I test drove is awesome now.