PDA

View Full Version : seeding guarentee

bobbygedd
10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
same sh!t, different day. client from the past calls, "please come back, i need you, i had this guy and that guy, etc, they just can't do it like you." ok, fine, dry your eyes, i'll be there. the place is a wreck, with all the rain we had this year, the place should be beautiful, but it's not. so, we thatch, aerate, powerseed. 3 weeks go by, he calls, can i come by and look? sure, hmm, a few big spots (like 8-9 patches) are completely bare. ok, i patch them up with some new seed. 2 weeks later, he calls, same story. i go back, patch it up again, throw a little mulch on top. now, how many times u gonna patch every little spot that didn't come in. my concern.....i don't know what the idiot who was applying the chemicals put on the lawn. i don't know when, how much, or what was applied. niether does my customer. my thought is, if i don't see grass in 8-10 days in these areas, i may have to dig out 3-4" of the soil, and replace with good new soil. somehow i think this guy expects me to do whatever it takes, at my own expense, to make it right. i did what i was supposed to do. i thatched, aerated, powerseeded @7lbs per k, and starter fertelized. as far as i'm concerned, i'm done. any thought?

rdran5
10-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Bobbygedd, your right on the money, it is the responsibility of the home owner to know what chemicals have been applied. you've done your part, more than you should of thus far, I might add. Feel good about it and move on.

out4now
10-06-2004, 07:15 PM
I think the most you should be responsible for is applying the seed, if he doesn't water it or know what was put down, not your problem. Sounds like a PITA. Charge alot extra if he hires someone else and you have to fix it.

cklands
10-06-2004, 07:25 PM
There is no way you can guarantee a seeding job for these reasons. Unless you are putting down the chemicals and standing there watering the lawn you can't guarantee anything. In the future have them sign a contract stating that you are not responsible for the lawn growing.
I will usually go back one time to do spot reseeding. Other than that they are either on their own or they have to pay extra.

odin
10-06-2004, 07:35 PM
No way jose no guarantee here ..i tell em up front i put the seed down do the job properly .
Might do some spot seeding as cklands said and that depends on who the custormer is.

olderthandirt
10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Around here you have to guarantee it or you won't be working! The trick I use is after its seeded I give them there watering instructions, and have them sign it. It says that they need to keep the ground continuously moist for 3-4 wks, failure to follow any instructions voids warranty. Unless they have irrigation its almost imposable to keep the ground continuously moist so it give me a way out if needed.I will come back and slice a spot or two if needed just prevents people from not watering or chemical damage etc. and wanting it done over for free. Plus it cya in case you end up in court.

Mac

mmacsek
10-06-2004, 09:13 PM
I go back one time. You did your job. Also, check your spelling in the title. It's guarantee, not guarentee. Matt

bushtrimmer
10-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Is this really Bobby worried about what the customer thinks? I haven't been on this site long, but can't believe what I'm reading.
Actually, it might benefit you to take a soil sample and have it analyzed b4 you do anything else. This will tell you what was but down and how to correct it. Seems like it's a waste of time if you've allready seeded it a few times.
Keep up the good customer service Bobby.

bobbygedd
10-06-2004, 10:50 PM
customer service my pigs behind! the old kook is getting a bill for every freakin seed i dropped, and i DID count them

Liberty Lawncare
10-06-2004, 11:03 PM
No way jose no guarantee here ..i tell em up front i put the seed down do the job properly .
Might do some spot seeding as cklands said and that depends on who the custormer is.
That is it. Bob the dumazz before you may have contaminated the spots that wont grow. Charge the customer alot of money to remove the "contaminated soil" and remind him if he kept you this would neaver have happened.

Lux Lawn
10-07-2004, 07:07 PM
I ran into almost the same problem we overseeded a lawn and it has been slow to come up the owner water for a short time maybe and I mean maybe 2 weeks and stopped and said its not going to grow so i'm not going to water anymore this is after I filled in some bare spots for him at know charge he told me he is leaving town for a month.