PDA

View Full Version : Scag Cougar input vs. Walker

ippy
10-06-2004, 05:58 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a used scag cougar for decent money and was wondering what your experience with them is. I worked for a guy that had walkers about 10 years ago, and they were pretty nice machines at the time. How do they compare now? Appreciate any input.

Thanks!

out4now
10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Do a search, there was a thread about this machine not long ago. From what I remember of it, the Cougar was not looked upon vey favorably.

MOW ED
10-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Used both and own a Walker. The Cougar is heavily built and may be ok for your mowing but it isn't for my lawns. I was not too impressed with the quality of cut and the high seating of the Cougar. It cuts grass but in my opinion it isn't close to the quality of a Walker.
Demo them both and see what you think. It may be good for you. Good Luck.

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Any Thoughts as to what made the walker cut better? I own a scag turf runner (was replaced with the Cougar) and have been a little disappointed with the quality of cut. :help:

MOW ED
10-07-2004, 07:46 AM
The Walker GHS decks have counter-rotating blades and what I believe is a better deck design for vacuuming up grass. Scag rotates like all others which is acceptable but it isn't as clean as a Walker in my eyes. Like I said , I am not bashing a Scag it just doesn't fit my business as good as a Walker.

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
10-07-2004, 07:59 AM
The turf runner does have counter-rotating blades. Any other thoughts?
How big in diameter is the discharge chute going to the impeller on the walkers. what about blade tip speed?

Thanks
mike

mowhigh
10-08-2004, 01:57 AM
Walker is still the Lexus of mowers. Typically requires more upkeep and not flat-out fast (and a relatively slow blade tip speed), but unsurpassed in cut quality and bagging (especially on well-manicured turf). Know of at least two HOA's that specify Walker in their bid contracts. Unfortunately, I had to go with something more rugged and affordable (Country Clipper Charger).

Mowingman
10-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Walker is still the Lexus of mowers. Typically requires more upkeep and not flat-out fast (and a relatively slow blade tip speed), but unsurpassed in cut quality and bagging (especially on well-manicured turf). Know of at least two HOA's that specify Walker in their bid contracts. Unfortunately, I had to go with something more rugged and affordable (Country Clipper Charger).

OK, I understand the more affordable part. But more rugged? I don't think so. I have over 1000hrs on my Walker, and have never had even one breakdown. Let's see if your Country Clipper can beat that record.
I am not saying your mower is no good, I am just saying that the Walkers are a quality mower, and can take a beating just like any other high quality mower. They do have more grease fittings to keep up with, but if properly maintained, they are very rugged and dependable. :)

green acres lawns
10-08-2004, 08:32 PM
My walker has 1500 plus hours with only normal maintenance. I demoed a couger but didn't buy it. It's too heavy for the narrow tires( made ruts in spring yards), not as nimble as the walker (due to the extra weight). But I think it was well built and would make a great leaf machine if you kept the radiator cleaned out.

Lawnworks
10-08-2004, 08:42 PM
I am just saying that the Walkers are a quality mower, and can take a beating just like any other high quality mower.

I disagree. I think the deck design is weak. They are not reinforced like a Exmark or Hustler. If you hit a rock it breaks the break-away nuts that hold the blades in rotation. Also if you want to change the height of your deck on your $10,000+ mower get used to pulling 4 pins out of the deck! The front casters are weak. The hydros are prone to fail. The location of the engine is poor. It basically rides 3" from the ground. I have seen many many Walkers w/ blown engine at 500 hours. When I think of a tough mower, Walker does not come to mind. I can say these things because I own one, but I am just not proud of it. I don't have any $$ in mine and only use it for leaf clean-up.

Mowingman
10-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Lawnworks,
I have not had any problems like you describe. Maybe it is the way your helpers operate and maintain your mower. The only reason the front casters would fail, is if you are hitting curbs with them, or if you are not greasing the machine. My casters are nice and tight, even after 1000hrs+. Sounds like you need better helpers, and better maintenance procedures.
As to the height adjustment. I never found it to be a problem. However, for those who don't want to pull four little pins, Walker now has a quick-adjust attachment for your deck. One lever raises or lowers the deck.
Walkers are made to provide a beautiful manicured cut on lawn-type properties. They are not designed for unimproved, rough properties or field mowing. If used and maintained properly, they are very dependable in my opinion. :)

mowhigh
10-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Don't intend to turn this into a pissing contest (especially after saying that Walker is the best out there) but just as I wouldn't recommend buying a Lexus for transporting stuff from Home Depot, the Walker is best suited for maintaining quality turf. I have some very rugged terrain and couldn't demo the Walker without assuming responsibility for any damage (regional Walker rep suggested Hustler or Scag). My comments about more maintenance are based on reports from Walker owners, none of whom seem to mind a little extra care for unsurpassed cut quality.

Mowingman
10-08-2004, 10:03 PM
mowhigh,
Your comment, "best suited for maintaining quality turf", is right on the money. Picking the right mower for your mowing conditions is extremely important. :)