PDA

View Full Version : Where do you hang Flyers??

bkramer0057
10-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Im new to posting on this website, but I have gained a lot of useful information from you folks that has saved me some serious time and money LOL.

I run a small company..approx. 60 res. clients with 5 commerical accounts. Not bad for my second year. I have had success with flyers in the past. I usually have put them in grocery stores on the free ad display, and on as many public bulletin boards as I could find.

My question is...where do you put your flyers? Is there a certain place in your area that proves to be effective? I was thinking about placing them on car windshields also this fall. But the first thing that comes to my mind is annoying. What do you think?

Bear with me!! Last question!! =D I was thinking about narrowing my target market to senior citizens. In your area, where do seniors often hang out? I was thinking about the YMCA or area cafeteria's...only thing is I would have to be out of bed by 4:30 a.m. to catch them at the early bird. :sleeping:

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot!!

Turf Medic
10-06-2004, 06:58 PM
I definitely wouldn't put them on windshields, can end up with a ticket for littering, or being required by the police to come back and pick them all up, either result really can suck. Best place to put fliers is on each house that you would like to add to your route, this way you can also tighten up your route. If you really want to target senior citizens, I would ask around and find a senior citizens center, to put up fliers. Another avenue for advertising several cities have newsletters geared toward the seniors that you can advertise in. You may consider offering to give a talk on lawn care at a local senior citizens center.

Lawnworks
10-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Why senior citizens? Seems like they don't have too much expendable income.

tonygreek
10-06-2004, 07:47 PM
i definitely wouldn't put them on cars. my own view is that i don't want anyone touching my car and would make a mental note of who the flyer is from.

another reason not to: when i was going to school (Ohio St.), there was a group that was putting ficticious flyers on cars, and were simply casing them. they used multi-color papers, and would mark a prospective car with a certain color. finally got caught, but pretty slick.

lawnworks, that's a stereotype that may cost you some money. guess it depends on your area. in my area, that would be a fatal assumption as seniors have more disposable income than most. there's a word for it my generation will never know, but i hear it's called a "pension".

Tony

HOOLIE
10-06-2004, 10:59 PM
If you put them on windshields, you don't know where the owner lives. Much more effective to pass them out in the neighborhoods you want to target. Putting them on the front door is more effective but more time-consuming.

Another thing with windshields, you may run into trouble with the owner of the property (parking lot that is) I know a real estate agent that did this at a big mall one time. She got a call from the mall management, telling her to come back and clean up all the flyers that blew all over the lots, or they would do it for her and bill her ;)

walker-talker
10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
There should be some local Senior newsletters where you are. I can think of one around here called "Acitve Seniors". I try to target areas and you can still do that with neighborhood newsletters. Also, I did a mailing of postcards in the spring. You can purchase mailing list and narrow it down to age groups, income, zip codes, home owners, property value and so forth. I didnt get a very good response rate from those though. For 5000 postcards I spent around $2k.....that was for the design of postcard, mailing list, print and mailed. For the same price I can hit about 15,000 homes with newsletters.

proenterprises
10-07-2004, 10:13 AM
i dont think i could ever bring myself to do a paid mailing, at least not until my biz is way off thr ground.

I just dont see it profitable, and their is alot of risk (being that you will lose all of what you spent with no return)

Walker-Talker provd it, you can hit alot of houses with free newsletters and have a much better turnout, than with paid mailings.

Team Gopher
10-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi bkramer0057,

How about handing out flyers to the neighbors of the houses you already service?

tinman
10-26-2004, 09:32 PM
i dont think i could ever bring myself to do a paid mailing, at least not until my biz is way off thr ground.

I just dont see it profitable, and their is alot of risk (being that you will lose all of what you spent with no return)

Walker-Talker provd it, you can hit alot of houses with free newsletters and have a much better turnout, than with paid mailings.

Agree on the risk,, at least get references on the list provider. I got a letter in the mail selling some product last week addressed to the guy I bought my house from 5 years ago. Whatever list they used was obviously out of date.

I have 1000 doorhangers to put out for my pressure washing service & have put out some already, but it is very time consuming. I asked my postmaster the other day about putting them on the mailbox POST & he said technically that was ok, but some of the carriers might remove them. So I might try that on a couple of subdivisions anyway

derekdoubleut
10-26-2004, 09:54 PM
How about your church? Seniors can't get enough church.
I'm no Bible Thumper, but that's my plan. What better way to expose yourself as an honest and trustworthy business person?

MMLawn
10-27-2004, 10:39 AM
I use strictly mail as that works well for me and I have found a place that will print full color postcard both sides (including my Bulk Rate Stamp and Reg Number) for only .04 each and then you can spend $300 and get your own Bulk Rate USPS Number set up and mail them for about half of the normal .23 cents that the Standard Rate is so it becomes very affordable. As to Seniors I would really think about that. I have a few and bless their hearts they are my biggest PITA's and always want something for nothing.

tinman
10-27-2004, 12:21 PM
They can be aggravating, but they always pay on time.

gogetter
10-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Gopher hit the nail on the head. If you already have customers, then put out door hangers in the neighborhoods where your current customers already are.

You're whole goal should be to make your route as tight as possible. Cut out as much driving time as possible.

Sticking flyers on windsheilds won't leave a very good impression of your company to potential customers. Plus as stated, you don't know where they are from. You could end up driving all over the place to do lawns.

Targeting seniors can be trouble in my experience. My better customers are couples that both work.

Carolina Cuts
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Seniors?? Hmmm..... How bout' McDonalds 6:00am Bingo. Don't laugh, but the McDonalds 6am Breakfast/Bingo special was like a nightclub for the 65 and over crowd. I like the idea of churches.... lotta times they have their own news letter that goes out every Sunday in church... businesses like yourself are the sponsors.

LawnExpressions
11-04-2004, 12:45 AM
I have always found that hanging flyers on mailboxes is the most efficient way of obtaining residential customers. The key is putting the actual price per cut for each home on the flyer. You make it as easy as possible for the customer to acquire service. They already know the price and all they have to do is make a phone call. This also allows you to control your market which makes for a more efficient weekly route. You put flyers where you want your customers to be.

gogetter
11-04-2004, 09:24 AM
The key is putting the actual price per cut for each home on the flyer.

So you leave a blank space for the price when printing them, then right the price in as you aproach the house???

LawnExpressions
11-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Exactly....it might take a bit more time per house to estimate, but it saves you time in the long run....you eliminate the drive time of having to go back to a prosepective customer to give them a price. Customers also like the "personalized feel" it gives them. My first year I hung 1,000 of these flyers the first week of March, and by the end of the month I had 50-60 customers. If you just hang generic flyers on everyones door or mailbox, then they are just going to throw it away. I have kind of developed this theory over the years about lawn care. Its very important to the customer, but it isnt. For example, if a customer needs an LCO to take care of their yard for the season it is something that they will need to do eventually, but it isnt as urgent as say the water heater breaking down. Therefore you make it as easy and simple for the customer. The price is on the flyer, one call to the LCO, they tell them the price that is on their flyer, done deal.

walker-talker
11-16-2004, 03:43 PM
The price is on the flyer, one call to the LCO, they tell them the price that is on their flyer, done deal.So you do not keep a record of what you bidded on each property?

LawnExpressions
11-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I have a good idea of what price ranges I bid for certain areas of town. If someone calls up and says they have my flyer advertising $25 I know they are lying because I dont price anything that low. If they say $30 and I get to the property and it clearly isnt a $30 yard then I would raise it. The bottom of the flyer states that the price is a rough estimate and could change, but it has never been a problem in the past. The purpose is not to walk around each individual house and give and estimate to the nearest penny. You wouldnt have time to get enough bids out where the return of customers would be beneficial. I drive from house to house, give a quick glance at the yard, and write a price down. If I get a call and the estimate is way off (because of certain terrain or extra trimming in the back that I cant see from the street) then I raise the price a bit. Most people wont b*tch over a couple of dollars.

DiscoveryLawn
11-17-2004, 08:44 PM
I have always found that hanging flyers on mailboxes is the most efficient way of obtaining residential customers. The key is putting the actual price per cut for each home on the flyer. You make it as easy as possible for the customer to acquire service. They already know the price and all they have to do is make a phone call.

I am no longer in mowing but when I was I did this when I started out. The only time it worked for me was when I was starting out and was still a low baller. The second year I was in business and knew how to price my services I did it again and did not get any calls from them. The calls I did get was from flyers I put out with no price on them. I was still able to obtain new clients with the higher prices as long as I could meet with the prospect face to face so I could have the opportunity to explain the benefits of going with a company that emphasizes quality service over fast cash. Also, I could point to one of my clients in the neighborhood and show them the difference.

David

Cedar Lawn Care
02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
When something is put on my windshield I pull it off and throw it in the air. It ticks me off when people litter on my car.