PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing any steps in the lawn reno. plan?

CRM Lawncare
10-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Clients yard is in bad shape. I plan to do the following:

1. Fill in low spots with clean top soil
2. Spray entire yard with roundup (Yes I'm licensed)
3. Core aerate the entire yard
3. Reseed and Fertlize, also lime per soil test
4. Top dress with compost
5. Instruct client on proper watering procedures

I've renovated my personal lawn but this is my first for pay. Am I missing any steps?

CRM Lawncare
10-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Anybody out there?

all degree
10-07-2004, 09:45 AM
I think you are doing to many steps and some of the not even neccessary or even harmful.

First why are you rounding up the entire lawn. Not neccessary or even good for the soil.

All you need to do is slice it and seed it. Starter fertilizer and water. In the spring some preemergent should take care of any weeds. All the other steps I have never heard of and I have seeded many many lawns.

Maybe its a climate thing but I doubt it.

walker-talker
10-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I just rennovated one and this is what I did.
1) Round-up entire lawn. Lawn was mostly comprised of weeds.
2) Dethatch. Did this to thin out some of the thicker areas.
3) Mowed over at 1.5". Mainly to pick up all thatch and/or dead matter.
4) Verticut. I did broadcast seed prior, but at a low setting. My verticutter deposits
seed to the soil.
5) Fertilize.

You do not have to aerate. This will only benefit existing soil, unless you want to break up some hard areas.

all degree
10-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Skip the roundup its not neccessary. Most of the weeds will come right out when dethach and/or slice. You kill lots of beneficial insects with roundup...

Rtom45
10-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Round Up kills insects?

MMLawn
10-07-2004, 11:02 AM
If you are going to Roundup the entire yard and haven't yet done it I don't think you have time to do that and let it do it's thing completely and still have the proper weather conditions where you are here in NC for the grass to germinate and grow properly and get established before the first heavy frost will hit it. It would be at least a week after you roundup before you could even start is why I say that so you might be okay but at best case it is cutting it kinda close by adding that step. If you skip that you should still be okay. I'm not sure why you would be killing the exsisting lawn unless it is that horrible but I would leave out the roundup this late. If you were going to do that you should have probably started the first of Sept vs. Oct.

Precision
10-07-2004, 02:25 PM
If you want to kill it all down, and aerate it. You could just use a rototiller. That looses the soil and chops up all the nasty weeds. Roundup Is at least a week if not 2 before putting down seeds.

You could always go with sod instead, but that is a lot of work throwing it. And you definately need to rototill or sod cut before that.

bobbygedd
10-07-2004, 04:55 PM
yea, you forgot to rototill the yard, and take soil samples. :rolleyes: also, did you remember to kiss the clients ass, and send him and his spouse out to dinner?

parkwest
10-07-2004, 05:14 PM
You forgot the two most important steps to a successful lawn renovation.

First have the customer sign a detailed work order. Don't do anything until this step is complete!!!!

Second, collect the money. 10% down and the balance due upon substantial completion of work order.

bobbygedd
10-07-2004, 05:17 PM
park i love the way you think. ok, ok, what's your most important tool? answer: your calculator

parkwest
10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I hear you there, bobby. We like to know we are making money before we do the job.

Sometimes I wonder if there are guys on here who have "lawn businesses" just so they have a job to go to everyday.

muddstopper
10-07-2004, 10:36 PM
I disagree about the 2wk wait after using roundup. Someone on here posted a while back about using roundup at the same time as the seeding, without any wait. I was hesitant to try it but I was in a bind because of the wet weather and decided to give it a try. I sprayed and then hydroseeded. I was at the site today to do follow up ferts and no weeds and the new grass was a foot high.

CRM Lawncare
10-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the good advice, most of you. Thanks for being smart asses the rest of ya.

In response to some comments:

1) I have already had soil test done.

2) Already have signed agreement with 50% deposit already in the bank

3) Will net $40 an hour + after expenses on this job

4) Considering a surcharge for having to get up early on Sat. to do it (Sound like a good idea Bobby?)

bobbygedd
10-08-2004, 08:47 AM
no, i think you should include a ******** message free of charge

bobbygedd
10-08-2004, 09:03 AM
hmmm, $40+an hour? looks like maybe a 3 hr job. for $120, i don't get out of bed on a saturday. that aint a decent bet on a 3 legged nag.i can make that in less than 2 hrs mowing, and not have any liability. keep up the good work

MMLawn
10-08-2004, 11:07 AM
3) Will net $40 an hour + after expenses on this job

The guys in many parts of the country esp the North will get alot more for similar jobs, but me being here in NC also for all that you have outlined I would net at least $65 an hour on the same job and very probably more with all the work that you plan on doing as I would probably boost that number up as I would more than likely bill one total price for a complete restore job and probably come in at $150 an hour for that. If you are happy at $40 then that's great but for all the work you plan on doing I think you are way low.