PDA

View Full Version : F-150 and flow masters

luke125
10-06-2004, 08:55 PM
ok this saturday i am picking it up its an f-150 xlt lariet w/ a manual transmission, a 5.0L engine, it has 100k on it, and its got a new paint job. its an 87' and its in pretty good shape. I am getting it for $1500. its going to be my first truck and since everybody thinks i am going to get in a reck the first week after i get my lincends i didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a truck.

i was just wondering if you think it was a smart thing to do and if you think i got a good price on it

i need a device for it that will save some gas and was considering flow masters. What do you think about that? and if i get it how much gas will it save?

hosejockey2002
10-06-2004, 09:16 PM
If the truck is decent and runs good, then $1500 is a good price. As for a device to save gas, try duct taping a hard boiled egg to the bottom of your right foot and try not to break it when you drive. :D Seriously, the best way to save gas is slow down and stay out of the throttle. As an added bonus, slowing down will help you immensely in your quest to keep from wrecking your truck in the first week after you get your license. Good luck.

lqmustang
10-06-2004, 09:59 PM
You're no fun. I would recommend using a raw egg. :angel:

luke125
10-06-2004, 10:52 PM
its not that i'm that bad of a driver its just that when i was first learning to drive i use to drive in the gutter and had a hard time merging and my mom and sister still think im a bad driver

and a far as driving slower when i see a red light or i need to slow down or stop i usually let off the gas ahead of time so i don't use the brake to much

i'm just looking for ways to save some gas because i don't want to spend a whole lot of money on gas

lwcmattlifter
10-06-2004, 11:41 PM
If you want good mileage look into a performance air filter, K&N, Afe etc... get a good set of platinum spark plugs. The most important of all is to make sure your O2 sensor, Cat, TPS and mass air flow sensor are in good condition. Exhaust will help some but you are'nt going to gain a lot of mileage. If you want flowmasters go with the delta series. They are quieter so you wont pull up to a job site with a loud truck that may bother potential customers.

kc2006
10-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Being into racing I can tell you that flowmasters do not master the flow. They're actually worse then other brands, a cheap summit muffler outflows a flowmaster. I like dynomax exhaust because the mufflers flow well and they're alittle cheaper then flowmaster.

As for saving gas make a cold air intake (can be done with some corrigated piping into your stock air cleaner housing) a k&n filter, do a tune up; fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, go get a fuel system cleaner. A full exhaust system would help alittle bit, it wouldn't be too great to just put a muffler on and thats it, the stock exhaust is still restrictive. Also keep the tires inflated to the right psi heard that helps alittle. If the truck can take it without leaking synthetic fluid will give alittle better milage.

Smalltimer1
10-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Everybody and their brother has Flowmasters--be different--I put glasspacks on my truck. Flowmasters will rust out after 2 or 3 years. My grandfather has gone through 2 sets of FM 50 series mufflers since he bought the truck in 2000. I've had my glasspacks on for a little over 2 years, and it still looks new from underneath with very little rust.

FrankenScagMachines
10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
I've got an '89 F350 with a 460 (7.5 liter) V8 in it... gas guzzler and workhorse. It'll pull anything. I put glasspacks on it. Sounds real good but is loud (i also took off the catalytic converter). Your loudness depends very much on whether you're leaving the catalytic converter on or not. If it's still on, you can only get so loud. If you take it off, the possibilities are endless- it will be louder but you can also get lots better sound from it.
my first truck was a '90 F250 with a 351 (5.8 liter) and 5 speed stick shift. I took off the catalytic converter and put glasspacks on it too. it sounded real good also. I got 10-13 mpg in it and i get 6-8 or 9 in the F350 flatbed i have now.
You got a pretty fair deal on the truck. Post some pictures for us.

Eric 1
10-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Everybody and their brother has Flowmasters--be different--I put glasspacks on my truck. Flowmasters will rust out after 2 or 3 years. My grandfather has gone through 2 sets of FM 50 series mufflers since he bought the truck in 2000. I've had my glasspacks on for a little over 2 years, and it still looks new from underneath with very little rust.

I find that Very hard to beleive. Here, its glass packs every were.

I love my Flowmaster for its sound (much better that a glass pack in my book)However i did not notice any increase in mpg. My old truck i took out the stock exhaust and had glass packs installed, my mpg dropped by about 1 mpg.

I have NEVER EVER heard of a flowmaster rusting out, a buddy of mine has had them on his truck for almost 5 years, still sounds great.

As a side note, the fiberglass matting in a glass pack will plug up with the carbon from the engine and before long you will have a very loud exhaust.

lqmustang
10-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Well, you've heard it again then, flowmasters will rust out. Just like anything else made of steel. Should have taken some pics of the holes in the flowmasters off my Mustang. Had a bit of extra breathing after about 5 years, and they never saw any snow or salt. lol :rolleyes: If going with flowmasters, I would recommend the delta flows, as already suggested, and opt for the stainless steel. For only about $10 more you don't have to worry about the rusting issue. The deltas also eliminate most of the flowmaster drone. It's nice to take a trip and NOT be tone deaf when you get there. :p

Eric 1
10-12-2004, 09:42 PM
I have the 50 series delta flow stainless steel.

I know it will rust after a while, but 2 years is very short amount of time.

soccerlawn
10-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Ok, somebody help me out here, what are glass packs. I have never heard of them. The next thing is I want to put dual exhaust on my truck. Would you recommend going cat-back, or going from the engine.

Thanks.
Micah

lwcmattlifter
10-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Glass packs are a tube muffler with fiberglass as the sound deadening material packed in a chamber inside the muffler case. Most of the exhaust goes straight through and some is muffled. My experience with them is that they have a more crackly sound and you hear more back fires with them compared to a chambered muffler like the flowmaster. What make/year is your truck and do you live in an area the has emissions checks?

soccerlawn
10-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I have a Ford F 150, 1995, 5.0 V8, It is also long bed if that has anything to do with it.

Smalltimer1
10-15-2004, 02:54 AM
Cat-back is cheaper. Mine is cat back, it only cost me $175 to get it put on. I like the sound, but I'm debating on cutting the muffler out and sticking a piece of pipe in there. A true dual system will be close to $600 if you want it done right.