PDA

View Full Version : Fix a flat tire inflator

ToroMaster
10-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I keep a can of fix-a-flat in my truck at all times. No matter what goes through my tires fix-a-flat works perfectly everytime. I pulled out a wire hanger out of my rear tire on my Z. By the next job it was completly flat, I used the fix-a-flat and it was just like new. I can remember using a least three other cans on the same tire. Does anyone else know what a time saver fix-a-flat is!

Mo Green
10-06-2004, 09:54 PM
I have not had a flat yet, but I will now add a can of fix a flat to my rig for future flats. Thanks for the idea.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
ask your mechanic how he likes it when he has to go remove the stuff from the rim when you get a new tire. They arent real happy about those jobs.

ToroMaster
10-06-2004, 10:02 PM
I'll let the mechanic (myself) that changes the tire every four years put up with the junk on the rim. As for fixing flats on your trucks, use a plug, the liquid throws the balance of your tire off. As for saving TONS of money in down time, I am still a huge fan of fix-a-flat.

Metro Lawn
10-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I like the green "Slime" stuff. It seems to work better than fix a flat.

dkeisala
10-06-2004, 10:16 PM
I had a local tire shop use that fix a flat stuff and the tire still leaked, slimy crap oozed out every time it got hot outside. Went to the local auto shop and bought a plug kit for 5 bucks. Took me five minutes to fix and it's held pressure ever since.

bushtrimmer
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
If you change your own tires, you'll stop using liquid in tires real quick. What a huge mess.
In our case each truck has a plug kit in the tool box and carries a portable air tank. At least the air tank gets used a couple times a week and saves trips to get air @ gas stations.
Quick and easy fix.

a a green
10-06-2004, 10:43 PM
I keep 3 cans of fix a flat in the truck, And I have one of my mowers loaded with the pink slime. I was going to use the green stuff but the dealer talked my dad into putting in the pink stuff I dont know the difference. I had 2 flats in the same day at the same time on 2 different mowers, just 2 weeks ago and fix a flat didnt work. For most other problems it works. but dont try to take the tire off with any metal to metal contact that will cause a spark... and if you take the tire someplace to get it fixed let them know you used fix a flat. I Blows Up...

jphag
10-06-2004, 10:52 PM
I keep a can of fix-a-flat in my truck at all times. No matter what goes through my tires fix-a-flat works perfectly everytime. I pulled out a wire hanger out of my rear tire on my Z. By the next job it was completly flat, I used the fix-a-flat and it was just like new. I can remember using a least three other cans on the same tire. Does anyone else know what a time saver fix-a-flat is!

You know what works better? Green Slime. It is more expensive but it fills holes up to 1/4 inch thick. Since I've used it I have never had a flat. Use to get them often from running a tire across a piece of steel edging. You can get it at any Auto parts store or most lawn dealers carry it.

Boycea
10-07-2004, 01:47 AM
I dont know if their is any truth to this, but I was told that the fix a flat stuff and other similar products will actually make the rim rust over time from the inside out. Has anyone else heard this

rodfather
10-07-2004, 06:56 AM
I dont know if their is any truth to this, but I was told that the fix a flat stuff and other similar products will actually make the rim rust over time from the inside out. Has anyone else heard this

I have. And I've heard that the fix-a-flat stuff is highly flammable too.

BladeRunner1967
10-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Can you slime the mowers tires before you get a flat? Sort of a preventative maintenance thing?

2manymowers
10-07-2004, 08:47 PM

I have broken down tires that had some kind of slime in them, for a long time, obviously, and the paint was disolved off the inside of the riim. There was rust on the inside of the rim too. What a mess!

DennisF
10-07-2004, 09:00 PM
I keep a tire plugging kit and an air tank on the trailer. It's just as quick to fix the flat and you don't have that nasty mess to clean-up when you replace the tire.

xcopterdoc
10-07-2004, 09:10 PM
On off road tires, we always slimed em BEFORE we had a flat. As for on road tires... as a tech at a Goodyear dealer, if I got a tire repair that had fix a crap in it... I doubled the repair charge! The shop charged 21.95 for a tire repair. I charged for my time to clean the rim, clean the tire, then properly repair (NOT PLUG!) the tire.So.. eventually word got around... dont take yur tire to a tire dealer if you have fix a crap in it! So they took em to Snuffy Smith's shop... fine with me.. left me to do real jobs where I could make money!

green with envy
10-07-2004, 10:25 PM
I keep a couple of cans in my truck at all times. We do a lot of driving in constructions sites and flat tires are common. I once hit an Arrow head on my ztr and the fix a flat kept me working for the rest of the day.

Mike

Bolts Indus.
10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Exco:

That fur sure!!!!

SellPoint
10-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I have been told fix-a-flat goes boom! as well.
I use slime and have been told to use it as a preventative also.
I don't think it should be used on road because of balance issues.
But then again I'm no tire tech, just cheap :)

out4now
10-08-2004, 12:40 AM
We used to use it then went to slime, worked better.

greendave
10-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Fix a flat RUINS tires and rims! It dissolves the inner liner of the tire and causes rust on steel rims, corrosion on aluminum rims. It is, at best, a TEMPORARY fix for a flat, to be used in an emergency. Use slime for a permanent stop leak in your mower tires. It is vegetable based and won't do damage..... BTW, anything other than a 'tire off' repair on a highway tire will void the warranty on the tire - read the 'owners guide' that tire manufacturers give out..... Plugging tires without a patch on the inside causes separations......after 30 years in the automotive/tire business, I know from first hand experience.

coastallandscapesolutions
10-09-2004, 10:25 PM
We carry a little air compresor and a plug kit. Just like mentioned above, when you have to change a tire that has been filled with fix-a-flat... what a mess. A plug is also more perminent.

Four C. Landscaping
10-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I have a can of slime in my truck at all times and a battery operated air compressor to refill the tire.If the tire wont hold air even with the slime does anyone use a tube in the tire.I'm cheep so this seems a good idea instead of buying a new tire. payup

grass_cuttin_fool
10-10-2004, 07:32 PM
I use plugs on the mower tires and when they start to leak from getting old I put a tube in them and ride them till they are worn out. On auto tires if you plug them only ,water gets around the plug and down in the steel belts and then rust starts and then if you keep the tire long enuff BOOM