PDA

View Full Version : Cut lawn lower in fall?

gscone
10-06-2004, 10:52 PM
Should I mow the lawn lower being that it is now getting into the 40's during the late evenings? I live on Long Island, NY.

GC

chefdrp
10-06-2004, 10:57 PM
i have heard this. Its supposed to help with stuff like snow mold. I did experiment with 1 lawn last year. left it at normal and got snow mold. other lawns cut shorter and no mold. so maybe we should. Hope others will help us on this.

Liberty Lawncare
10-06-2004, 11:12 PM
The reason to cut short like 2 3/4 inch is to keep the lawn from getting long and laying over. the laying over causes fungus. So yea cut short the last cut it wont hurt and probably will help.

pjslawncare/landscap
10-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Weve always cut it medium/long this time of year to promote deeper root growth. Roots stay active during winter months. feed them with potasium as well this time of year

dlandscaping
10-06-2004, 11:57 PM
In the south they still grow, but they wont grow under 30+ inches of snow, which is what we are going to get this winter in 1 storm. A man can dream cant he. In the north do they stay active, I always thought the whole plant goes dormant. If the ground is frozen where the roots are, how can they absorb water.

dishboy
10-07-2004, 12:27 AM
In the south they still grow, but they wont grow under 30+ inches of snow, which is what we are going to get this winter in 1 storm. A man can dream cant he. In the north do they stay active, I always thought the whole plant goes dormant. If the ground is frozen where the roots are, how can they absorb water.

I believe you are right, 33 degrees is the lower limit of root growth for cool season grasses as I understand.

tiedeman
10-07-2004, 12:41 AM
this debate has been going on for some time, I feel that you should leave it at a medium height

When you leave it high yes it can lay over and cause mold, but when you cut it short you eliminate the surface area of the blade more, which can decrease the area where photosythesis takes place, in turn can decrease the amount of carbohydrates being produced, which hurts the grass more in regards to the amount of energy being stored for winter.

rodfather
10-07-2004, 06:32 AM
We cut it shorter before leaf season only to make blowing leaves easier. Plus, I want to be picking up just leaves (I don't need grass clippings as well) in our Trac Vac collection barrels.

Lux Lawn
10-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Yes we cut around 2.5 inches this time of year.

dcondon
10-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes we cut around 2.5 inches this time of year.

we also cut ours short in the fall because some of our customers can not afford a fall clean-up. Shorter the grass the better the leaves blow off.

dcondon
10-08-2004, 07:54 PM
we also cut ours short in the fall because some of our customers can not afford a fall clean-up. Shorter the grass the better the leaves blow off.

sorry...... I mean by the wind and not us!!! :waving:

Lawn-Scapes
10-08-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm still cutting at 3.5-4 inches. I usually wait 'til what I believe to be the final cut of the season and drop it down to 3 inches.

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 08:18 PM
I usually mow at 3 1/2 - 3 3/4".. I dropped the deck 1/4" this week for all accounts and will drop another 1/4" every week until the end of the season.. So most will be 2 1/2-2 3/4 when I park the mowers..

chimmygew
10-08-2004, 09:09 PM
When I took my classes at Purdue, they said to cut it normal. They told us if you shorten it more, you get into the crown and harm the grass.

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 09:12 PM
When I took my classes at Purdue, they said to cut it normal. They told us if you shorten it more, you get into the crown and harm the grass.

You shouldn't harm the grass if you lower it in stages.. Dropping if from 3 1/2" to 2" will put a bit of stress on it, but it shouldn't do much this time of year. Doing it in the summer would be a huge noticeable difference, but now, with all the rain we've had.. It should be fine..

lwngrl1
10-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Usually go 2.5 in the fall..2 3/4-3 in spring and late summer, and 3-3 1/2 in the hot summer months.

chimmygew
10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
We haven't had any rain in 4 weeks. Nothing against anyone elses advice, but I'm gonna trust the Purdue guys at the turfgrass research center. I figure they got their job for a reason.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Its a good idea just before fall clean ups for us its another month before we start them so for now I plan on keeping the normal heights I want to get as many cuts in as I can before the season ends. Every week of cutting is another 3-4k in the war chest for winter for us so I say keep cutting till fall is really here.

Envy Lawn Service
10-09-2004, 02:52 AM
All shorter cuts should be worked down slowly if possible for best turf health and results. You don't want to be cutting into the crowns. So if you wish, work them down a little as slowing growth allows for.

CWCLawn
10-09-2004, 06:32 AM
I always cut a bit shorter after October 1. In Ohio its getting cool enough that there is no more worry of heat stress, plus it makes blowing or bagging leaves much easier. The customers seem to like it shorter also.

Thanks,,, Cliff

Big M LawnnSnow
10-09-2004, 06:47 AM
WE cut it lower in the fall also to prevent layover & mold.
Yes it does make leaf blowing easier too.

GarPA
10-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Right now we rare down to 3.0 from 3.5 and 3.25. ON some we will go down to 2.75 but thats as low as we'll go. Most will stay at 3.0. I have rarely seen snow mold damage even in a tough winter. Rather, if theres alot of snowcover most of the winter, the voles do more damage than the snow mold.