PDA

View Full Version : no compassion

simsy71
10-06-2004, 10:33 PM
I had to call one of my customers today and tell them I would have to cut there lawn tomorrow instead of today. They got upset and told me they really wanted it cut today. I told them again it was impossible. The resaon I gave them was that my mother had a heart attack and I was going to spend the day with her at the hospital. With everything going on I had the courtesy to call them . I mean give me a friggin break, they gave me such a hard time that I called them back and told them to find someone else to cut there lawn....... Wrong time to piss me off. I mean to think about it they called me one day saying they are having a party that day and some limbs fell in there yard. Guess who shows up within the hour to take care of it. Sorry I am just venting I am still pissed off and its been a long day

1MajorTom
10-06-2004, 10:38 PM
That is simply terrible, some people can be just awful.
Don't even dwell on that customer, just focus your energy on your mom.
They should be ashamed of themselves.

chuckers
10-06-2004, 10:39 PM
sorry about your mom hope she is ok. She will be in my prayers

simsy71
10-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your wishes. I think she will be ok,, They were able to clear the blockage She just has to stop smokeing............

work_it
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm also really sorry to hear about your mom. Can't imagine what you must have been going through.

On the other subject....you did exactly what I would have done. That's one nice thing about having your own business. You get to fire the customers when they're cold hearted a-holes.

MudslinginFX4
10-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Screw the customer, family always comes first, not matter what! I agree with everyone else, I think you did the right thing by dropping her, she isn't worth even the money you made off of her. Hope your mom gets better, be thankful she is here.

a a green
10-06-2004, 10:57 PM
I don't know what to say. I Hope everything is ok and gets better... I would be awful mad at someone who couldn't understand that your mom just went through that and you want to be there. And most of all you called them.....
I hope your family is well , and your mom gets better...

geogunn
10-06-2004, 11:31 PM
simsy--what a bizarre customer. I though mine were tough! point for you.

GEO

mbricker
10-07-2004, 12:53 AM
You did the right thing. I wish your Mom well.

lawnman_scott
10-07-2004, 01:41 AM
Hope your mom is ok. I think this is why bobby does and says what he does about customers.

barringtonbrothers
10-07-2004, 02:31 AM
Your mother will be in my thoughts

bobbygedd
10-07-2004, 07:43 AM
barrington the only thing in your thoughts is what time the hot dog stand will open up. prayers to your mom for a speedy recovery. this is why i don't bother telling my customers anything. if i'm not there, i'm not there

parkwest
10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Just some observations. Don't mean to sound harsh but, To be successful in business you need to be able to separate business from personal life. Second point is I really have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who is trying to kill themself in the first place. ie. smoking or drinking. Should you feel sorry for someone with health issues when they are responsible for their condition? My heart goes out to victims of real tragedies not for people with self-inflicted wounds.

Question: Why would a business shut down due to a medical emergency of someone not even in that business? Did all your workers go to the hospital with you?

geogunn
10-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Should you feel sorry for someone with health issues when they are responsible for their condition? My heart goes out to victims of real tragedies not for people with self-inflicted wounds.

good grief, parkwest. you would make your point better by just asking why he didn't shoot her for smoking.

GEO

parkwest
10-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I guess I'm still a little sensitive about loosing what I thought was the love of my life when I discovered she was a closet alcoholic.

stizostedion_vitreum
10-07-2004, 11:36 AM
ridiculous is an understatement...... tobacco is one of thousands of bad habits. If you condemn everyone with a bad habit your a sorry sole.

I'm not gonna quote statistics of how many do this or do that, but obviously he'd prefer his mother didn't smoke as well. However, she does....

Mow the customers lawn or be with your mother....that's not even a question.

I'm new here, but wish you and your mother well during this trying time....

tj

geogunn
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

PW--I understand. I almost didn't bring it up because that didn't sound just right coming from you.

BUT--to the credit of your post...I remember my anger with my mother when she smoked herself to death. it was real anger...untempered with any understanding.

time has tempered that anger a good bit but it still isn't easy.

point for you PW.

GEO

QualityLawnCare4u
10-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Simpsy, I thought I had some bad ones, but this client would get my a$$hole of the year award. I hope your mom is ok and do I know about smoking and heart problems. I hope everything turns out well for her. I would have dropped this one if it were my only customer!

Danny

steve122
10-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Just some observations. Don't mean to sound harsh but, To be successful in business you need to be able to separate business from personal life. Second point is I really have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who is trying to kill themself in the first place. ie. smoking or drinking. Should you feel sorry for someone with health issues when they are responsible for their condition? My heart goes out to victims of real tragedies not for people with self-inflicted wounds.

Question: Why would a business shut down due to a medical emergency of someone not even in that business? Did all your workers go to the hospital with you?
As a recovering alcoholic and former smoker I agree with the medical community that alcoholism and addiction are medical illnesses, not moral weakness. For you to blame his mother for her addiction to nicotine is the same as saying a diabetic is at fault for needing his insulin. It is an illness. there are 1,000's of people who have heart attacks every day who have never smoked a cigarette in their lives, do you blame them for their heart attack? I wonder how well you would separate your business from personal life if your mother, wife, daughter/son would take ill. It is easy to be harsh about someone else's problems, isn't it? Your little disclaimer 'Don't mean to sound harsh' was a poor excuse of a disclaimer when you knew before you hit the send button that you were going to be rude and crude.

harley29710
10-07-2004, 06:54 PM
ditto to steve122

Your mother is in our prayers as well as you and yours. God bless.

DLCS
10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
I hope your mother makes a full recovery.

parkwest
10-07-2004, 07:05 PM
"As a recovering alcoholic and former smoker I agree with the medical community that alcoholism and addiction are medical illnesses, not moral weakness. For you to blame his mother for her addiction to nicotine is the same as saying a diabetic is at fault for needing his insulin. It is an illness. there are 1,000's of people who have heart attacks every day who have never smoked a cigarette in their lives, do you blame them for their heart attack? I wonder how well you would separate your business from personal life if your mother, wife, daughter/son would take ill. It is easy to be harsh about someone else's problems, isn't it? Your little disclaimer 'Don't mean to sound harsh' was a poor excuse of a disclaimer when you knew before you hit the send button that you were going to be rude and crude."

above quote from steve122

For starters, Congratualtions on your mission to stop drinking, Steve122. What was the turning point? Maybe I could use that to help a friend.

As for what is an illness, I don't agree with a lot of what our western medicine believes. 200 years ago what they practiced would shock you. I can only imagine what we will say about western medicine 200 years from now. I bet we will be saying "they used to do what for that illness???" They are good for repairs but when it comes to illnesses, I have a hard time following the advice of a doctor who's own average life span is something like 59 years.
I think we need to take responsibility for our own lives including what we put in our bodies. I believe illnesses are a way our bodies use to tell us we have a problem that needs to be remedied or else it will get worse. Most people overlook the little warning signs until it is too late.

As for business versus family, I can't imagine Dominos or Jack in the Box or GM closing for the day because someone's mother was sick. You have your family but you also have a responsibility to your customers to do what you agreed to do. As for me personally, it would probably take at least day to even contact everyone in all the projects I'm involved in to even tell them to take a day off.

proenterprises
10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
As for business versus family, I can't imagine Dominos or Jack in the Box or GM closing for the day because someone's mother was sick. You have your family but you also have a responsibility to your customers to do what you agreed to do. As for me personally, it would probably take at least day to even contact everyone in all the projects I'm involved in to even tell them to take a day off.

Dominos and GM are alot different than a lawn care. Somtimes things come up, we more than anyone should know this. Their are days when their are emergencys and things just cant be done, thats life. Somtimes their just isint time to call everyone, you just have to do what you have to do. This is one of those times.

MOturkey
10-07-2004, 08:44 PM
I hope your mom recovers quickly, and completely.

As for the customer. My Dad used to often comment that it was a mystery to him why there seemed to be more horse's a....s than there are horses. Neill

simsy71
10-07-2004, 08:45 PM

As far as replying to this I am not because I would get myself into alot of trouble and probably get thrown off of this site.
To clear something up I am a solo opertor so I did not have my crew go with me.

As to all the people who gave there well wishes it is much appreciated.

DLCS
10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
As for the customer. My Dad used to often comment that it was a mystery to him why there seemed to be more horse's a....s than there are horses. Neill

ROFLMAO, good one.

Lux Lawn
10-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Hey man hope your mom is all right the grass will be there tomorrow.

odin
10-07-2004, 09:17 PM

We can argue about addiction to alcohol smokeing drugs etc etc is an illness or weakness.

But i think not many will argue being a prick is a self made condition

lawnman_scott
10-07-2004, 09:21 PM

This post is about as brainless as the one you wrote a few years ago telling of your 2000 rounds of ammunition because the government cant protect you. So after Pacistan invades us, defeates the air force and marines you will hold them up? I cant even type it without laughing.

Runner
10-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Simsy,
Nevermind the customer, they are a dime a dozen. Chances are - by the sounds of it, about any customer you get will better than this one, anyway. Some people just have no values or compassion for anything or anyone except for themselves. Just look after your mother, and be there for her. I wish I was there, so I could help you out with your accounts in any way I could. You, your mother and your family are in our prayers. We are praying for a fast recovery and courage and strenth for all of you.

steve122
10-07-2004, 10:39 PM
We can argue about addiction to alcohol smokeing drugs etc etc is an illness or weakness.

But i think not many will argue being a prick is a self made condition
Very well said!

steve122
10-07-2004, 11:01 PM
"As a recovering alcoholic and former smoker I agree with the medical community that alcoholism and addiction are medical illnesses, not moral weakness. For you to blame his mother for her addiction to nicotine is the same as saying a diabetic is at fault for needing his insulin. It is an illness. there are 1,000's of people who have heart attacks every day who have never smoked a cigarette in their lives, do you blame them for their heart attack? I wonder how well you would separate your business from personal life if your mother, wife, daughter/son would take ill. It is easy to be harsh about someone else's problems, isn't it? Your little disclaimer 'Don't mean to sound harsh' was a poor excuse of a disclaimer when you knew before you hit the send button that you were going to be rude and crude."

above quote from steve122

For starters, Congratualtions on your mission to stop drinking, Steve122. What was the turning point? Maybe I could use that to help a friend.

As for what is an illness, I don't agree with a lot of what our western medicine believes. 200 years ago what they practiced would shock you. I can only imagine what we will say about western medicine 200 years from now. I bet we will be saying "they used to do what for that illness???" They are good for repairs but when it comes to illnesses, I have a hard time following the advice of a doctor who's own average life span is something like 59 years.
I think we need to take responsibility for our own lives including what we put in our bodies. I believe illnesses are a way our bodies use to tell us we have a problem that needs to be remedied or else it will get worse. Most people overlook the little warning signs until it is too late.

My turning point would not be the same as your friends. But AA has a name for it, it is called hitting bottom. It is when you get so far down you have no choice but to do something different, you are so defeated by trying it your own way and losing that you have to admit you are powerless and need help from someone outside of yourself. My personal bottom wasn't the divorces or affairs or being to drunk to crawl into the house from where I fell out of my truck in the driveway. It was when I found myself sitting in my truck with a shotgun thru the steering wheel and my mouth over the barrel. I stopped to say goodbye to my kids in my mind and started to cry. I finally realized something wasn't right with this picture and sought help which led to hospitalization and AA. You can't change your friend, you can't make them see the light, the thread starter couldn't get his mom to stop smoking. It has to come from within. Criticizing them, telling them it is a moral failure will only alienate them so you won't be around to help when they hit bottom. If you really care, go to some Al-anon meetings to learn how to help without enabling the drinker. Support them but don't enable them in their drinking, no help with excuses, no help with DUI's, sorta like tough love. Until the drinker/smoker/drug user realizes something is not right, all of the court ordered, siginficant other demanded AA meetings in the world won't help. It would be nice if the world were the perfect place you think it should be, everyone responsible for their own health. I hope your rigid view of right and wrong doesn't come back to haunt you someday. Look to the role of Javert in the play Les Misarable for guidance. Compassion and understanding, forget your silly warriors code.
Simsy71, I feel for you and will pray for your mother and pray that she finds the strength to stop smoking.