PDA

View Full Version : Truck Aux Lighting-Is Wiring hard

proenterprises
10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I am looking to install some aux lights on my Nissam (fog lights). Is the lighting very easy, will I be able to do it by myself easily? :confused:

If you have any insight, please share it.

eshreve1234
10-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Adding fog lamps is a real easy process. Most even come with instructions in the box. All you will need is a drill, some wire, wire nuts, and a wire tester. Drill holes where you want to mount the fog lamps, run your wire to the power supply for your headlights, add the power line from your kit to that line using your wire nuts, ground the lights to any non painted metal screw on your truck, and you are set to go. OF course you may want to add an in-line fuse on the wire from your fog lamps to your headlamps. Wiring this way is easier than to a switch and when you turn your headlamps on your fog lights come on.

If you need more help just ask, although Nissans tend to make things twice as hard.

Turf Medic
10-07-2004, 02:27 PM
You may want to check the legal aspects of hooking your foglights to your headlights. Some states will not allow you to run your foglights unless there is actual fog conditions, you will need a switch.

proenterprises
10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
I havent gotten them yet, I was thinking of picking them up Saturday.

The box says that it comes with an "illuminated switch" I assume this is the switch to turn them on. I will keep them wired sepparate, as I will either run the fog lights of the headlights, never both, thats just too bright.

I assume the wire nuts come with the kit as well.

Is the wiring aspect of the job fairly easy?

eshreve1234
10-08-2004, 08:32 AM
As long as you have some mechancial ability and the right tools yes. Go to a home improvement store and you can get a cheap pair a crimpers/strippers that come with a bunch of connectors for $20 or so. Sine you are using a switch the hardest part will be taking the wire from the switch through the fire wall. Try to find where some other wiring has gone through and piggy back your new wire onto that.

Hodge
10-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Have anybody installed a GPS unit that is wired to the battery?

http://www.pimall.com/nais/cartrack.html :sleeping: