PDA

View Full Version : is it worth 40 bucks?

chefdrp
10-07-2004, 04:10 PM
picked this up today at a yard sale. Is it worth the 40 bucks i spent?

chefdrp
10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
its a crapsman 3.0 hp

chefdrp
10-07-2004, 04:12 PM
last pic.......................

GreenMonster
10-07-2004, 04:13 PM
They wouldn't take $20, huh?
:p

olderthandirt
10-07-2004, 04:17 PM
ROFLMAO good one Mark

geogunn
10-07-2004, 04:18 PM
if it works I say it was. good find.

GEO :)

No Lawncares
10-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Craftsman is not bad. I use craftsman 21 in mowers. One of the 21's I got is 2 years old and still starts on the first pull of the string.

rodfather
10-07-2004, 06:45 PM
If it doesn't work, sell it to bobby for 20 bucks. He can use it for a boat anchor and then you'll only be out the other 20 bucks...lol

GreenMonster
10-07-2004, 10:55 PM

I'm sorry Chef, that was a lousy thing for me to say. I'm really, really, sorry.

now, can someone please reverse the "ding" I got for that comment. I think I'm almost at "GreenMonster will be famous soon enough" :p :p :p

Ya know, the only think that really irks me, is the fact that these chickensh!t dingers won't even sign off on a negative point. FWIW, I won't ding without signing, and anybody who does is a nutless, gutless, coward :)

I'll take a guess, and say it wasn't Chef, I've replied to a bunch of his stuff, and I think he would know I was kidding.

Guess it don't matter, Sean is doing away with the points anyhow! :bday: :blob3: :cool2: :blob4: :drinkup:

Please, just keep the smilies!

LwnmwrMan22
10-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Shoot, I got dinged on a post I made before, and there wasn't even a response to it.

The one that I started in the off-topic about "A-Rod going to the TANKyees" after they lost the first game.

Next thing I know I was taken down a notch before anyone even responded.

Figures... freakin Yankee fans. :)

Runner
10-07-2004, 11:05 PM
That edger looks different. I had one 20 years ago when I started out, but it looked a bit different than that one. The problem was,... the arm was so flimsy, that it wouldn't even edge. The thing thind wobbled so bad left and right, that it wanted to cut a 3/8' wide track. It was just way too slow. I went and bought my first John Deere edger after that. It worked great for several years. I then learned it was a McClane.
Anyway, for 40 bucks, if it works,...hey, it'll pay for itself shortly. If it DOESn't edge, you have yourself a good 3 -3.5 hp motor.

chefdrp
10-07-2004, 11:07 PM
wow i thaught i had a good find. You guys made it sound like its a piece of crap. thanx.

GreenMonster
10-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Shoot, I got dinged on a post I made before, and there wasn't even a response to it.

The one that I started in the off-topic about "A-Rod going to the TANKyees" after they lost the first game.

oh baby, a fellow Yankee Hater.... you're working me over for a point, ain't ya?

You got it!

Mo Green
10-07-2004, 11:37 PM
If you think that it is a good deal, then don't listen to these guys. They're just mad that they didn't find it first. If it works, then use it until it dies. It's only forty bucks. One lawn job and it's paid for.

bushtrimmer
10-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Probably a good deal even if needs some engine work.
I've got a really nice one I'll sell you with I think a kawasaki engine, I can't remember. It was a great idea when I got it, but it hasn't been used yet.
The guys only use stick edgers, they take up a lot less room and a lot more manuverable.

HondaFreak
10-07-2004, 11:50 PM
wow i thaught i had a good find. You guys made it sound like its a piece of crap. thanx.
You asked for opinions and that's what you got. So, what are you crying about? I think it's worth the $40 if you get some good use out of it.

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 12:24 AM
I think Sears sells those for alittle over $200.. So for $40, sounds like a deal if it works good..

fga
10-08-2004, 12:36 AM

that wasn't me if thats what you're implying..
i've only dinged 1 person, and thats "Garden Panzy" i'll ding hium again as soon as i'm able to. I want to see how red his icon can actually become.

out4now
10-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Decent deal. Most people use stick edgers adn a walk behind only now and then. Like someone else said even if you only use it once one job would pay for it.

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-08-2004, 01:39 AM
good buy, i always keep my eyes open for deals like that, shoot, just drive around if you're bored and need something to do and find houses with tons of grass growing over sidewalks/curbs and charge them to take care of that problem. a lot of these smaller houses, the people dont buy real trimmers and settle for like electric ones, i'm sure they'd be greatful for you to edge for them.

this guy gave me a WeedEater brand (poulan) curved shaft trimmer and a small hand held blower, both are gas, and dont start too easily, but i plan on cleaning the engines out and making a portable motor for my john boat with the trimmer engine/shaft combo, kinda like the ones you see the chinese and vietnamese using in their little canal systems, and with the blower... well i haven't figured out what i'm gonna do with that yet... maybe i'll sneak it into my dads garage and when he finds it, maybe it'll confuse him in to thinking he is in the pre-stages of memory loss. "i dont know where i got it jeff, but i found this little blower the other day" "wow dad, i'll be damned"

geogunn
10-08-2004, 02:10 AM

come on chef. I said good find if it works. it doesn't have to be a $400 MCMILLAN edger to be a good find if it works.

as a matter of fact......I was at LOWES last spring loading some timbers for a job. and out comes a guy rolling a BOLENS 3.5 hp edger. brand new except for a stratch or two on the blade.

cutting to the chase, it was a return with about 60 seconds on the thing and I left with it for $120 even......

I am real proud of my edger and you should also be of yours.

GEO :)

bobbygedd
10-08-2004, 06:22 AM
wanna buy a bridge?

chefdrp
10-08-2004, 08:37 AM
thanx geo.i did see your reply.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-08-2004, 08:44 AM
I have the same edger. I purchased it from sears about 9 years ago and it does a very good job far as I am concerned. I hAve a stick edger also but i prefer to push the edger rather than tote it. I change oil 1 time a year and away I go. If I had seen it I would of gave 40 bux for it

LCME
10-08-2004, 02:41 PM
I use the same edger you do but I believe it's a newer model! My neighbor down the street had a garage sale. Asked me if I wanted it for $65. I said, yes and I will pick-up later. Next day my next door neighbor goes to the sale and bought it from under me. Now, I borrow it from my neighbor for free! :D works great. LOL

Gravely_Man
10-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Not my personal brand of choice but if it works well then yes it was money well spent!

Gravely_Man

new-man
10-08-2004, 05:10 PM
i have the same edger, but i got it for 30 dollars. i have to put a new belt on it.