PDA

View Full Version : Naming my business

wagner17
10-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I am in the process of making everything legit for my business. I have struggled with 2 things surprisingly; my name and my logo. After much deliberation I finally decided on Wagner's Lawn Care Service. I had done several name searches in the state of Ohio for that registered name, and it was not available. Well, I was wrong. Apparently the state website did not recognize the apostrophe and came back with no results. After waiting and waiting for weeks, I went to check the status and did several searches - I tried several different searches and found another Wagner's Lawn Care.

In the meantime, I had already tried to get a logo designed anticipating that my company name would be ok. Needless to say, the logos did not turn out well and I don't think I can use it anyways - because of the name. I used Execulogo online, and because I tried some revisions to make it work, I cannot get my money back.

So in a sense I am back to square one. My wife came up with the name "Clippings Lawn Care" - not sure how I feel about it. I want both a name and a logo that is simple, classy, easily recognizable, and will look good on my shirts and truck. I will be trying DesignOutpost.com for my logo, but first of all I wanted to get some name suggestions if possible. Does anyone like "Clippings?" Can anyone envision a cool logo for it? Is it possible to stick with Wagner's Lawn Care as the other one is in another part of the state? Also, there exact name is Wagner's Lawn Care Service, LLC; where mine would just be Wagner's Lawn Care. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help, I value all of your opinions.

Turf Medic
10-07-2004, 06:27 PM
You might check with your state attorneys office, or secretary of state, or whoever regulates the business names. Personally don't really care for the Clippings Lawn Care. Do you really need it to be Wagner's or could you use Wagner Lawn Care, you will still have to check to make sure it isn't too close to the other company's name.

wagner17
10-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not big on clippings either. I want something simple and catchy, and not hokey and over the top. Wagner Lawn Care could work, but I would like to find something a little better. Thanks for your input!

Turf Medic
10-07-2004, 07:48 PM
How about using your first name.

wagner17
10-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Thought about that as well, but Steve's Lawn Service and Steve's Lawn Care Service is already registered in the state of Ohio.

I thought about just doing Wagner & Sons Lawn Care (I have 2 very young boys), but I will have to give that some thought.

Thanks for your input.

tonygreek
10-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Wagner, as someone familiar with the Ohio Sec of State filing process, odds are you're attempt to register that will be kicked back. Service is probably not a differentiator. Opposite ends of the state means nothing as far as that goes.

I am one who is all for coming up with a recognizeable brand. Wagner may not be the answer to that, but working the Clipper angle is on the right path. I'd guess the guys at designdepot would love to play with that concept.

Howabout "Sir Clips'alot" and you wear a suit of armor as you mow? :dizzy:
on a more serious note, "The Cincy Clipper" could be fun with the logo. "The Lawn Clipper" could be a fun one as well, with a lone ranger feel to it.

I see 108 businesses with "Clipper" in it, so comb through them and see what's out there. Oddly enough, there is not one lawn-related business with Clipper in it.

Tony,
Dayton, Ohio

The C Man
10-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Definitely call the secretary of state, they can do a more exhaustive search than you can on their website. I specifically had them check for the name I wanted to use to make sure no variations of it were being used. Also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think you need "care" AND "service" in your name, it sounds redundant.

Team Gopher
10-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi wagner1,

I think Wagner's Lawn Care is a great name. Feel free to look through our logo gallery here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/index.cgi?page=artists)for ideas that might inspire you.