PDA

View Full Version : I cant believe this happened to me today.........

grass_cuttin_fool
10-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I bought a new tiger cub back in april. I financed it through Sheffields which Scag had the arrangement of 6 months no payment , no finance charge.
Well Im thinking here it is the 1st of Oct and I havent seen a payment notice or anything yet. Well sometimes they mail them 2 months before they are due and they get miss placed or lost. So I pull mt contract from the file cabinetand sure enuff I took delivery April 2nd so the payment should of been due.
I contact Sheffields and they say you dont owe us anything. I give them the account number and the guy says yes you applied for a loan and was approved but you didnt purchase anything. So we talk on a bit and he said its odd you have a contract and all and we have nothing. I said that I applied for the loan and waited at the dealer because they will approve or dis approve you in about 15 min. The dealer faxed my application to Sheffields and then sheffields faxed it back approved. The dealer filled in all the blanks for the purchase price and then mailed it back in. All we know is it got lost somewhere after the dealer sent it in.
When I told my dealer this am the phone went silent for about 30 seconds, then he said ''WHAT''.I am very surprised that he hadnt picked up on it unless the mower was on some kind of floor plan and he wasnt going to recieve a credit or something this fall from scag. He is a small dealer, I dont know how many mowers he sells a year but I dont think it is many giving the sizeof the shop.He told me that I basically had a free mower far as paper work went but Im not that kind of person, I like my fair share but I dont want anything that isnt mine.
Just thought I would share this lil story with yall

proenterprises
10-07-2004, 08:55 PM
well, its not really that your getting somthing dishonestly. its the company fault that they lost your paperwork, let them deal with thier mistake. i wouldnt feel guilty, you called in and asked about it as you were supposed to, not like you just didnt pay them and keep your mouth shut. the holidays came early this year :waving:

grass_cuttin_fool
10-07-2004, 08:57 PM
I forgot to add that me and the dealer got together today and his payment in full for the mower is in the mail so noone is out of anything

FrankenScagMachines
10-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Like Pro said, i wouldn't feel guilty for the reasons he listed... hard enough to stay afloat we need all the help we can get! But, if you really feel you must pay for it, i will be generous enough to let you send payment to me and i'll get it in to my local Scag dealer.. I'm sure he can take care of it from there...

Providing it gets there!!! haha!!!!!!! free mower man your a loser!

jcb287
10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Man! I wish I had that kind of luck.Pretty much handed you a new mower for free...... ;)

Jusmowin
10-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Good on you Grass cuttin fool you a true honest person, as this industry needs more people like you.

rbeitz
10-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I forgot to add that me and the dealer got together today and his payment in full for the mower is in the mail so noone is out of anything
Cool you did the right thing. Hopefully the dealer will remember this and take care of you on some other deals. :drinkup:

imograss
10-07-2004, 10:26 PM
I will give you 5.00 for it, cash, no checks :waving:

Grasman
10-08-2004, 01:37 AM
I agree with Jusmowin (34) and rbeitz (38) that you did the right thing. It's interesting that the two posts that say you should have kept it and that you are a loser are 16 and 17 years old. Sad!

HOOLIE
10-08-2004, 01:44 AM
Where in Virginia is this dealer :) No, you did the right thing.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanx guys for the support. I dont think if any of yall were put in the same spot you would of walked away with a $6000.00 mower, Atleast I hope not. I know how it feels when some one stiffs me with a mowing bill, and most of them are $100 or less . The dealer is in Madison Heights, Va just north of Lynchburg

Oldtimer
10-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Young punks are usually not accountable for their actions and comments. It's a reflection on their parents and the people they hang out with. Not paying what is owed is the same as stealing and a thief is usually always a thief.

A solid citizen is always accountable for his actions and comments.

Good character is always doing the right thing even though no one is looking. If a driver comes to a stop sign and no traffic is coming he should stop. A yield sign allows a driver to make a decision based on traffic flow.

Congratulations on setting the example we should all be following. I am sure you lost several hours of income in order to set things right.

Oldtimer

smlavin
10-08-2004, 10:01 AM
WAY TO GO Grass Cuttin Fool! :cool2:

Some young men need to begin to live by this principle, "Do to others AS you would have them do to you!" :nono:

grassrootsinab
10-08-2004, 12:25 PM
We had a similar thing happen with our elec. company when we moved. Called to say disconnect and reconnect the new address. A couple of months go by and no elec bill. I called and they said the balance on the account is zero. Waited another couple of months and phoned to say we haven't got our bill but they say our balance is zero. I say can I have a statement to that fact and they say they don't mail out "0 dollar bills". The next month (6 months after we move) I get a bill for over $750 for back charges and ...oops we made an accounting error etc. I've been through the regulators, ombudsman, higher up management and the best they did was knock $100 off the bill.

I think you're pretty lucky and I think you're honest in contacting the company. Hope it all works out for you!!

fcl01
10-08-2004, 12:39 PM
did you get a new receipt for the money you gave to the dealer? hope it wasnt a cash/shake hands deal to settle everything

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Some one getting paid to do a job correctly, and that is to make sure the paper work is in and in order for you to make the payments. They did not do there job! So by you doing it for them they were just rewarded for being incompetent. Wish I could get paid for screwing up! I would have kept the mower until something was said and then I would have paid for it but not a penny of intrest. If nothing was said apperantly it was no big deal and they did not miss the money or the mower, so I would have considered it a gift.

Mac

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Charactor is something that one develops from good role models and learning to accept what is right and what is wrong.......

Congrats on doing the right thing............

Derek

jbell113
10-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Like Pro said, i wouldn't feel guilty for the reasons he listed... hard enough to stay afloat we need all the help we can get! But, if you really feel you must pay for it, i will be generous enough to let you send payment to me and i'll get it in to my local Scag dealer.. I'm sure he can take care of it from there...

Providing it gets there!!! haha!!!!!!! free mower man your a loser!

Let me tell you my friend ..... WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND MARK MY WORDS

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Charactor is something that one develops from good role models and learning to accept what is right and what is wrong.......

Congrats on doing the right thing............

Derek

What is right? Him doing the job of the other person so that they can keep making the same mistake over and over, When are we responsible for our own actions? Character is developed from learning from your mistakes and taking responsibility for the out come. It is not developed from some else bailing you out of trouble so that you can repeat the mistakes, thats breeds ignorance
I'm not judging you or your actions thats not my place, I'm saying that there is an incompetent person working that made a 6k mistake and had no repercussion for there negligence. How would you like him/her for one of your employees?

rbeitz
10-08-2004, 02:07 PM
What is right? Him doing the job of the other person so that they can keep making the same mistake over and over, When are we responsible for our own actions? Character is developed from learning from your mistakes and taking responsibility for the out come. It is not developed from some else bailing you out of trouble so that you can repeat the mistakes, thats breeds ignorance
I'm not judging you or your actions thats not my place, I'm saying that there is an incompetent person working that made a 6k mistake and had no repercussion for there negligence. How would you like him/her for one of your employees?

No offense but you're talking apples and oranges here. It was Fool's responsibility to pay his debt and he did the right thing here. Whether someone dropped the ball at the dealership or not is another issue entirely. Maybe the paper work got lost in the mail and never made it to the credit agency? It is now on that dealer to review what went wrong and take corrective action to ensure it does not happen again. At the very least they need to tighten up their accounting practices.

It was better that Fool came forward now (and it shows his real character) then to wait for them to come after him with interest and penalties after some end of year audit. Don't forget he signed a contract with no payments and no interest for 6 months. After 6 months I am sure the contract called for interest to kick in as well as any late charges. Just becuase the company fails to remind you to make your payment doesn't mean that you are not liable to pay.

Gravely_Man
10-08-2004, 03:39 PM
I for one think it will be just a matter of time before they catch up with you and want some money for the mower.

Gravely_Man

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 05:30 PM
You did the right thing.. Like someone else said, just make sure he takes care of you now more than ever since you let him know about his mistake.. :waving:

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 05:36 PM
No offense but you're talking apples and oranges here. It was Fool's responsibility to pay his debt and he did the right thing here. Whether someone dropped the ball at the dealership or not is another issue entirely. Maybe the paper work got lost in the mail and never made it to the credit agency? It is now on that dealer to review what went wrong and take corrective action to ensure it does not happen again. At the very least they need to tighten up their accounting practices.

It was better that Fool came forward now (and it shows his real character) then to wait for them to come after him with interest and penalties after some end of year audit. Don't forget he signed a contract with no payments and no interest for 6 months. After 6 months I am sure the contract called for interest to kick in as well as any late charges. Just becuase the company fails to remind you to make your payment doesn't mean that you are not liable to pay.

[QUOTE] contact Sheffields and they say you dont owe us anything. I give them the account number and the guy says yes you applied for a loan and was approved but you didnt purchase anything. So we talk on a bit and he said its odd you have a contract and all and we have nothing. I said that I applied for the loan and waited at the dealer because they will approve or dis approve you in about 15 min. The dealer faxed my application to Sheffields and then sheffields faxed it back approved. The dealer filled in all the blanks for the purchase price and then mailed it back in. All we know is it got lost somewhere after the dealer sent it in. When I told my dealer this am the phone went silent for about 30 seconds, then he said ''WHAT''.I am very surprised that he hadnt picked up on it unless the mower was on some kind of floor plan and he wasnt going to recieve a credit or something this fall from scag. He is a small dealer, I dont know how many mowers he sells a year but I dont think it is many giving the sizeof the shop.He told me that I basically had a free mower far as paper work went

so rbeitz I'm not comparing apples to oranges I'm taking what was posted and stating my opinion that some one did not do there job and they are no repucussions for the failure. Glad there not my employee. Nuf said.

Mac

all ferris
10-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Immediately after hearing that you owed nothing I would have sold the mower on ebay for $4000. Since there is no title a mower, if they did come for me then I would deny ever having the mower. 4g's in my pocket and I totally did the wrong thing and would have a guilty conscious for the rest of my life. You did the right thing straightening the whole thing out. I always put myself in the other person shoes. Could you imagine being out $6000. That could really make a big difference in that dealers well being. I would never do the things mentioned above even if it was only a 5 cent piece of gum. Honesty is the only way. The really crappy thing is that there are people out there that would actually do the above mentioned things. Its a shame.

GardenofWeeden
10-09-2004, 08:36 AM
It's like some improvements I did a few years ago. They 'forgot' half of the itemized bill. As much as I wanted to walk away with 'free' stuff...it wasn't the right thing to do. It was tempting...but good for you for "owning" your mower. Yes the circumstances gave it to you, but someone else would be footing the bill at some point...like every other customer from that point and beyond.
I suspect this guy won't be in business too much longer with organization like that.

Bolts Indus.
10-09-2004, 09:00 AM
That is an old trick used by credit companys. That is, not send notice due for payment at end of the free 6 month period. They want you to go over by months locking you in to the contract to collect interest. You would have found out later that you owe a years interest and nothing to do about it. Your honesty has saved you money. Who says honesty does't pay. It just did.

PS: You paid the dealer? Make sure the credit application is ripped up. Dont be surprised if the credit company sends you a statement. Make sure you have your paid receit
handy.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
10-09-2004, 09:22 AM
If nothing was said apperantly it was no big deal and they did not miss the money or the mower, so I would have considered it a gift.Mac

That statement says a lot about your integrity. Not contacting the credit company could have come back to bite him as bad credit. You get a ding and I'll be sure and sign it for ya.

olderthandirt
10-09-2004, 11:24 AM
That statement says a lot about your integrity. Not contacting the credit company could have come back to bite him as bad credit. You get a ding and I'll be sure and sign it for ya.

You guys have more should have , could have, might have, bull sh!it in your post. learn to read and comprehend. Post this On what I learn on LS today thread Mike "That I have a big mouth and sometimes put my foot in it" Your opinion of my integrety means sh!t to me and you got the balls now to ding me when there doing away with the system haha, shows a lot of integrety! chickenshit.

Mac

Patrick.B
10-09-2004, 01:27 PM
its great you call the dealer cause when you think you don't have to pay ..theys will send you a fat bill with alot of %%%% depend how long you didn't paid the bill....trust me ...they would of catch it soon or later lol.,,,,

CuttingCrew
10-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Grass cutting fool

You did the right thing and you will never have to question yourself about that. Period.

I am a firm believer that the measure of a man is in his actions. Ten years from now you probably won’t even remember it, and if you do, you will feel good knowing you did the right thing. If you had screwed the guy you wouldn’t be able to forget it and St. Peter would have wanted to have a little chat with you about it when you get to the pearly gates.

Do unto others… :angel:

Mikes Lawn Landscape
10-09-2004, 01:51 PM
The World According to MAC

Post this On what I learn on LS today thread Mike "That I have a big mouth and sometimes put my foot in it" Your opinion of my integrety means sh!t to me and you got the balls now to ding me when there doing away with the system haha, shows a lot of integrety! chickenshit.Mac

I checked my points after my post and guess what, here is what it said
"heres one back at you Mac"
Looks like you did the same thing Mac does that make you a chickenshit also.

The other 2 dingers forgot to sign their name.

olderthandirt
10-09-2004, 02:03 PM
The World According to MAC

I checked my points after my post and guess what, here is what it said
"heres one back at you Mac"
Looks like you did the same thing Mac does that make you a chickenshit also.

The other 2 dingers forgot to sign their name.
No dumbass you checked your points after I posted Still can't grasp a concept of what you read and write. Whats wrong 1 good ding don't deserve another. And no if you wrote about my intergerty something you know nothing about I would have dinged you then and signed it, I have plenty of post you could have found one you did'nt like but you waut till they do away with the points system before you grow a set of balls

Mikes Lawn Landscape
10-09-2004, 02:36 PM
No dumbass you checked your points after I posted Still can't grasp a concept of what you read and write. Whats wrong 1 good ding don't deserve another. And no if you wrote about my intergerty something you know nothing about I would have dinged you then and signed it, I have plenty of post you could have found one you did'nt like but you waut till they do away with the points system before you grow a set of balls

Mac I did not know the point system was being eliminated, If I dinged all of your stupid posts I wouldn't have a life so I chose to ding only the really stupid one. As far as grasping what I read it would be easier if it were a coherent thought.

Tim Enix
10-09-2004, 03:46 PM
You should be proud of what you did. It will come back to you.

olderthandirt
10-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Mac I did not know the point system was being eliminated, If I dinged all of your stupid posts I wouldn't have a life so I chose to ding only the really stupid one. As far as grasping what I read it would be easier if it were a coherent thought.
Mike with your 2 yrs worth of experience in the biz you a wealth of helpful info! You did not know the point system was being eliminated? How can this be? A wise man that knows about my integrity and does not know about one of the main things thats been talked about on Lawn Site for a month? So I
#1 must assume that either you have a reading deficiency or #2 you don't comprehend what you are reading. It would be nice to see in your little smart ass thread you started "What I learned on Lawn Site Today" that you did accomplish either #1 or #2. Although I doubt it can happen from someone who left the construction biz in the 2nd biggest building boom in history to become a lawn boy.

Mac

GardenofWeeden
10-10-2004, 11:01 AM
So there I was, standing in a customers yard receiving 32 Tons of River Surge. The driver hands me the Ticket and I see a similar name on the BILL TO: Area and it is not mine. CLOSE...but not mine. The bill came to $1347.00. "Should I correct this or allow the BILL TO: company to be invoiced?? I knew what to do....but it was $1300!! I served 10 years in the military and this mistake was not mine to own. But I believe what comes around goes around and for $1300 it would get me back ten fold if I didn't correct it in the right way.
Don't think I wasn't tempted...year is ending, this would all be in my pocket, my skid steer could use the extra payment, the Basic Materials company made the mistake and so forth... HOWEVER....as I earlier wrote in another post...it didn't settle with me and I paid my debt. There are differances with everyone but one thing is for certain... "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."

pcnservices
10-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Good for you Grass! Honesty will pay off. You wont regret what you just did. Watch out next year - you're gonna be blessed with so many more accounts you'll have to buy another Scag!
Good Luck
PC

olderthandirt
10-10-2004, 11:19 AM
So there I was, standing in a customers yard receiving 32 Tons of River Surge. The driver hands me the Ticket and I see a similar name on the BILL TO: Area and it is not mine. CLOSE...but not mine. The bill came to $1347.00. "Should I correct this or allow the BILL TO: company to be invoiced?? I knew what to do....but it was $1300!! I served 10 years in the military and this mistake was not mine to own. But I believe what comes around goes around and for $1300 it would get me back ten fold if I didn't correct it in the right way.
Don't think I wasn't tempted...year is ending, this would all be in my pocket, my skid steer could use the extra payment, the Basic Materials company made the mistake and so forth... HOWEVER....as I earlier wrote in another post...it didn't settle with me and I paid my debt. There are differances with everyone but one thing is for certain... "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
Good for you you did the "right" thing the only thing I would have done differntly if I was in your shoes on this particular incedent was WRITE ACROSS THE BILL THIS IS THE LAST TIME I CORRECT YOUR MISTAKE next time I keep the money. This would have made sure that someone was held accountable for there actions. Covering for someones incompetence does not help them it just lets the cycle continue

Mac

ikesleeping
10-10-2004, 11:25 AM
I cant believe there is a thread deciding whether to be a thief or not to be a thief. Maybe stick up a few convenience stores by driving off with out paying? Other than the fact you dont have to see the person your robbing whats the difference between doing it on paper or doing it with a knife? Shades of Enron!Its ok to steal if someone has made a mistake,like I left my keys in my Reatta? Instead of pretending to be lawn pros just be the grand larceny folks you aspire to be!!!!http://www.lawnsite.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=807949#
Dizzy

Columbia Turf
10-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Older than dirt, Have you ever made a mistake and been greatful to the person that pointed it out to you? I can see your logic, "I" am not resposible for "YOUR" mistake, But in reality, somtimes things do slip through the cracks.

olderthandirt
10-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Older than dirt, Have you ever made a mistake and been greatful to the person that pointed it out to you? I can see your logic, "I" am not resposible for "YOUR" mistake, But in reality, somtimes things do slip through the cracks.
Absolutly I made mistakes and if it was not for someone pointing them out I would probably still be making the SAME mistakes. Like I asked if your employee made a 6k mistake would you want to know about it or just let it go so it could happen again and again. Someone needs to be held accountable for incompentency. And a notice written across a bill to alert the owner that he needs to tell the employee to be more careful if this was the first time that he made a mistake that could have cost 6k is not to much of a reprimand. And if it was not the 1st time how much money can a biz afford to loose to incompentency before they go out of biz.

Mac

Bolts Indus.
10-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Okay, for those of you who don't get what is happening here.

Credit company lets you go over the payout time.
Doesn't say any thing for another 3-6 months.
credit co. sends cheque to dealer.
Sends you notice that you are over due.
Statement reads - Balance owing plus interest.
This is how the don't pay for six, 12, months no interest I call it scam works.

Get it now.