PDA

View Full Version : whats the right mower for me?

stevesmowing
10-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Right now I have about 22 customers and mow about 25-28 a week, from 2x a week customers and people that call for one time only. Next year I am hoping to add another 8 customers or so. I currently have a 48" walkbehind belt drive with a sulky. It takes me about 15-25 minutes to mow a lawn depending on the size. And then about 5-8 to trim and then 3-5 to blow off. I am in the market for a used mower. I am not sure what is the best style mower and size is. My lawns average from .3 acre to .8 acre. I have used a ztr and like them very much however I find it takes longer to turn around b/c you have to do a 3 point turn, unlike a walk behind. I also like them b/c they have a very quick, fast, and easy height adjustment for the cutting height. The reason's I like the w/b's are because they handle hills a little better. Don't tear up turf as much espically in the spring. Do you think a 52 w/b hydo, 52 ztr, or 61 ztr would serve me the best?

progolferjoe72
10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
i would go with a 60" flatlander dixie chopper. Or any dc would be good. possibly a 72 instead, it would be a heck of alot quicker. Demo some dc's out, and see if you like any.

jpmako
10-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Demo a bunch of different machines, find out what best suits your needs and get it. It does not have to be a dixie chopper... Personally I would go with a John Deere but that is just my opinion. If you bag a lot of your lawns you might want to look into a walker. otherwise a larger walk behind or a stander might work pretty well in your situation.

Itsgottobegreen
10-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Well you know what I will stay you need. A 52" Wright stander. Faster than walkbehind, less damage than a ZTR. I love mine. I got my first one when I was 16.

Travis Followell
10-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Look at a 52" or 60" Dixie Chopper or Grasshopper. Both are great mowers. Demo several and get the one that does the best job for you.

KathysLGC
10-08-2004, 10:10 AM
I also think a Stander would be a good choice because you won't need a Velke for it and they are small compared to other walk behinds. Also to consider, you already have a mower so buying a new one will now give you over head...