PDA

View Full Version : Best Blades for those who use 21" mowers

twins_lawn_care
10-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I see there are a lot more people than I first thought using primarily 21" mowers. I am in the same boat, and wanted to see what kind of blades everyone was using? I see all kinds of stuff on Meg-Mo's and Gators etc. and wondered if anyone has a prefernece on blades and the 21", or if they found it didn't much matter.
Thanks for any input in advance.

I'm using Toro's stock blade for the time being, but will probably be experimenting in the next month with all the leaves.

sniffie
10-08-2004, 01:56 PM
I am using a gator blade on my commerical LawnBoy and have been very happy with it compared to the stock blade.It mulches better and the edge holds up a lot longer.If you're using Toro's atomic blade I don't know if the Gator would be any better or not,as the atomic blade is similar to the Gator.I don't have any experience with the Meg-Mo's,so can't comment on them.

sniffie

TClawn
10-08-2004, 02:54 PM
the atomics are a copy of the gator except they don't have as much lift. I prefer the gators for leaves.

for mulching I have found that medium lift blades in combination with a 1/2 inch negative deck pitch gives the best results.

if I'm going through lots of heavy growth or Bahia grass: I put a low lift blade on, and a 1/2 inch negative deck pitch. the low lift blade, while not standing the grass up as much as I would like, has less air Resistance, leaves more HP for the engine to work with in those situations.

I like high lifts for side discharging, medium if the grass is wet.

bagging: I prefer medium lifts, no deck pitch.

overall, I think that medium lifts are the best multi-purpose blades if you don't want to be swapping them out every day.

hope this helps.

twins_lawn_care
10-08-2004, 03:24 PM
TCLawn,

I am glad to hear I an not the only one using a negative back pitch! I have read all over to set the front deck pitch one notch lower for best results, but have found that only tends to blow out the debris from the front.
The atomic blades do resemble the gators, which is why I asked.
Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming.
I did contact meg-mo, and they replied that they didn't have a system for 21" models as of yet. I'd love to hear otherwise though.

Fareway Lawncare
10-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Bolt up doubles on the 21" for Leaves...W/the Prolines use a Toro Gator on Top and a Lawnboy gator (or any blade w/no lip) on bottom.

twins_lawn_care
10-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I may bolt on some doubles and see how it goes, as I'll have some time, we finally got some rain today!

odin
10-08-2004, 06:12 PM
I use a high lift if i bag which aint very often .Gator when the leaves are falling and mulching .