PDA

View Full Version : Mailings are the way to go!

PLM-1
10-08-2004, 01:55 PM
After reading on here about direct mailing and fliers and the unsuccessful attempts by many i thought i would just give it a shot anyway. I sent out 10 to property managers and got 9 calls back. I won the bids on 8 huge accounts for next year. Hopefully i can keep up. I think i am going to have to hire employees! On new accounts i have a total of 11 large apartment complexes and 6 townhouse developments and several stand-alone homes...gosh...hopefully i am not over my head. I figured i should try and get as many accounts as possible and hire accordingly. payup

The LawnSmith
10-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey Joplin,

How's the business going there this time of year? I'm originally from Neosho. Grass about ready to quit growing? Here in Alabama it is very steady. My brother owned a Sign Company there in Joplin and designed my logo.

Team Gopher
10-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Joplin Mower,

I sent out 10 to property managers and got 9 calls back.

That is just outstanding! Congratulations!

PLM-1
10-11-2004, 01:32 PM
LawnSmith - business is slowing down...i have more time to work on next year. The yards with irrigation are still growing crazy while the others are either bermuda or finished for the season...then comes that wonderful leaf season!

proenterprises
10-11-2004, 03:16 PM
wow, great turn out, i was considering using mailings this year, thats great, good luck next season!

drsogr
10-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Wow thats great! I was contemplating doing the same thing down here in Wichita. Everyone told me it wouldn't work. So I never tried! I decided to go into the Landscaping part rather than the Lawn Care part after much consideration. I sent out 19 letters and got 3 calls for Estimates. Won one so far, I think the other 2 might wait until spring. I thought I was going good!

bottlefed89
10-19-2004, 01:08 AM
What exactly did you mail to these 10 people?? some type of card or self mailer, or a letter?? I currently work for a business mailing company as my day job, and believe me, that type of success is unheard of.
greg
bottlefed89@hotmail.com

impactlandscaping
10-19-2004, 02:39 AM
Tell me about it...we did 10K full color 5 1/4 X 8 flyers via direct mail with a mailing co. this spring in March and April. I think March's mailing got 35 calls(.0035% response), and 6 sales(16% closing), and April's got 43(.0043% response) calls and 8 sales(12.5% closing)...far less than the 2-3 % we were hoping to get...

bobcatnj
10-19-2004, 12:41 PM
where did you find the property managers addresses and what did you send them??? how did you know they were out to bid. im looking to get into commercial cutting (apartments, stores, etc) but i just cant get in. i send them a flier in the mail to the store with attn:property manager but i havnt got a call back yet.

tonygreek
10-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Bobcat, sending fliers to the store probably ends up in the junk mail pile the owner may never see. 90% of what I receive for my businesses goes that route just due to sheer volume.

I'd put on your Sunday best and hoof it to the store locations, intro yourself to the top person available and at least leave them info in person.

As for rental properties, one method is to write down addresses of buildings and look them up on your county recorder/treasure's website, if one exists. You'll find ownership info and some form of mailing address to send info to.

Tony

Soupy
10-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Before you get to exited about mailings. Property managers will almost always let anyone bid on their properties. You must have caught them at the right time (which is good), but even if you don't. They will usually throw your info on file and send you bidding info when they are ready for new bids.

Getting the work is a little harder. Most of the time you have to be low bidder. Unless you have such a name for yourself and they are looking for quality. Which is normally not the case. I hope you didn't get over you head either. If you have to buy more equipment for these jobs? I hope you got a 3 year contract.

As you all can tell. Property managers left a bad taste in my mouth. It was so bad that it has lasted 12 years. I didn't know much and under bided and after doing quality work for a year both property managers dropped me for even a lower bid. The next guy was leaving rows of grass from what looked like a rider (not ZTR) so I know I didn't get beat by quality. Here today and gone tomorrow. I only do little old ladies now. They know what loyalty means.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that sending direct mail to property managers is the way to go. But that doesn't mean you will get a 90% return on all direct mail.

Joplin Mower, sorry for going into a rant. I truly am happy for you. It will be a good learning experience for you. I hope you have better luck then I did too.

PLM-1
10-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info...I will keep that in mind.

I didn't have to buy anymore equipment thank goodness.

John Gamba
10-20-2004, 12:58 PM
After reading on here about direct mailing and fliers and the unsuccessful attempts by many i thought i would just give it a shot anyway. I sent out 10 to property managers and got 9 calls back. I won the bids on 8 huge accounts for next year. Hopefully i can keep up. I think i am going to have to hire employees! On new accounts i have a total of 11 large apartment complexes and 6 townhouse developments and several stand-alone homes...gosh...hopefully i am not over my head. I figured i should try and get as many accounts as possible and hire accordingly. payup

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Good Luck.

John