PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat new to biz and need help!

buddhacj7
10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
I have been doing this on the side for about three years and just doing some
commercial work for friends. I really would like to build up the biz but am not sure about all the things it entails. I don't want to sound stupid but I am not
sure about mulching, seeding, fertilizing? What are the rules for applying seed
and fertilizer and what exactly is "mulching". I mainly mow a large apartment
complex and blow,trim,edge,etc... Am I in the wrong business because I do
not know these things? I just don't want a soon to be customer ask me a question that I don't know the answer to.
Thanks
Ed

MMLawn
10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
You mow a "large apartment complex" with a homeowner Sears riding tractor and a Homelite trimmer? Wow!

buddhacj7
10-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Make do with what ya got! Need real mower asap!

MMLawn
10-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah cause I would think that the maintainence and time it is taking using that vs. having commerical equip it is probably actually costing you money on this deal if large to you is what large to me is. :)

buddhacj7
10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Well it is about 2 acres and to me doing it solo with a crappy mower, it seems
pretty large.

MMLawn
10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
as to the mulching question it depends on which mulch you mean

Mulching as in the beds is the material and placing it there such as mulch, pine bark, pine needles, etc,

Mulching as in grass cutting is a special set up (blades and maybe a discharge guard if needed/want) to cross cut the clippings when cutting

buddhacj7
10-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Do you just buying mulch and spreading in beds? That is all there is to it?
What about fertilizer? or is it circumstantial?

Ability
10-08-2004, 04:41 PM
A couple of suggestions....

1. Use this site exhaustively.....use the search function. Almost everything has been discussed here before at one time or another.

2. Go to your library and read read read everything you can about lawn care. I recommend a few different books to buy, The Lawn Bible and Lawn Care for Dummies. Both are excellent and break things down well for the novice.

3. Look seriously into commercial grade equipment. Less repair costs, and much faster mowing time

Hope this helps

buddhacj7
10-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the literary input! I will go buy them tonight.
This site is extremely helpful

out4now
10-08-2004, 07:56 PM
Look up your cooperative extension service in your area and sign up for classes. They are generally really inexpensive. Could join a trade org. like ALCA or similar to take classes as well. More in depth books on turf management and horticulture are available at college bookstores, go get ISBN number off of it and look on amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, Half.com to get them even cheaper and read, read, read all winter! Look at old posts on this site and ask questions, people are very helpful here (well most of the time, nobody's perfect :p ) I listed a bunch of good resources in an earlier post, do a search and you'll find it.