PDA

View Full Version : Bad Lawn - How to tell Resident

Ability
10-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Ok, I am usually very good with dealing with customers in many areas. However, I haven't figured out the best way to deal with this situation.

You pull up to a new bid and they want you to start immediately. You can tell that they think that because you are a professional lawn care organization all you have to do is make a pass over their lawn on your handy dandy new fangled bazillion dollar lawn mower and poof!! it will look like the golf course they love to play at.

They think their lawn is fine and that it just needs a good cut. You know it needs a whole treatment program that will take months.

You know that if you tell them their lawn looks like garbage you will offend them. But you also know that they are expecting miracles and do not want a fert program.

I know there is no magic line to deliver to tell them they need a fert program and that their lawn looks like garbage.

What are some of your lines?

And, no, a take or leave it approach is what I am trying to avoid. Anyone can do that.

Thanks

rodfather
10-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Simple. Walk the entire property with them and point everything out to them.

oneandonlyjojo
10-08-2004, 05:58 PM
tell them u will do whatever they want. its wierd some lawns do magically get perfect from no where( or they could just want to do applications themselves and dont wanna tell you to get u offended). if its a complete disaster just try to persuade them to take a chemical approach that way if it never comes out good u can tell them u tried

KenH
10-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Tell them you will send a sample of the lawn for a soil analysis. Let the lab tell them.

Go over all the results with the homeowner and plan of action. You will be their hero.

1MajorTom
10-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Well at the shop where I get my hair done, she has a sign that says,
"I'm a beautician, not a magician." I think she may have posted that there for me. :laugh:
It's up to you to let the customer know what you can and can't do.
And I really don't think there is one line that you can tell them. You can only tell them what you can do for them. You will give them a clean cut with sharp blades, no visible grass clippings left behind, and trimmed and edged neatly.
Obviously you could say, "I can only polish a turd so much", but that would be really bad. :blush:
Let them know upfront what you will do for them, then it's up to them to make their decison.

eshreve1234
10-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I will show them trouble spots and make suggestions on how to repair it. Bring photos of some of your other lawns and explain the steps you have taken to achieve your results. This works every time. No one wants to be known as the worst lawn on the street. I also explain to them that the process will cost some more money and effort on their part, as I can not be on their lawn 7 days a week. Just be honest, and be willing to do your work in stages over the next months or even years.