PDA

View Full Version : Too many miles?

Procutlawn
10-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Is 132,000 miles for a 2001 Dodge with Cummins too many, i.e. Transmission????

twins_lawn_care
10-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I think it depends on the price. taking the price into consideration is how you can tell if it is too many. Not much experience with the dodge.
was it cared for (oil changes, filters, etc.) I don't think it would be that bad.
however, what are your plans for the truck. keep 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, until it dies?
I know, not much help here. thing is, you never really know, if you weren't there for the 132,000 miles. he could have beat on it, or been a grandpa with it, which I think is more important than the age.

kind of like saying, who's in better shape, a 25 year old, or a 50 year old. sure, the 25 year old is younger, but who takes better care of their body? that's my thinking.

jim dailey
10-08-2004, 11:50 PM
2001. All of those miles are also on the suspension parts, the exhaust, the gears, the brakes and the emissions. Assuming the transmission is automatic, how often have the filter and fluid been changed. The diesel motor has many a mile of life left in it. But is this truck worth it in the end, the end of replacing all of the other parts of the truck, little by little.

Grassmechanic
10-09-2004, 02:04 PM
To put 132k on a '01 vehicle, it sounds to me like a lot of highway driving. Highway driving is easier on all components than stop-and-go driving. If transmission was properly maintained, and the price of the vehicle is reasonable, I'd go for it. You literally cannot wear out the Cummins if it has had proper maint.

Procutlawn
10-09-2004, 09:53 PM
What's a resonable offer?

kc2006
10-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Check kelly blue book and look around the web for other places that give estimates on vehicles, since only you know how good the body and everything is it would be hard to tell you a good price. Check the fluids make sure they're all fresh, see if theres maint records. the engine will last for ever when taken care of, but the trans if auto is going to need freshend up probably around 200,000 miles. If they're taken care of though i wouldn't worry about it if the price is right.