PDA

View Full Version : New Stihl Blower to blow out all competion next spring

bettergrass
10-08-2004, 07:57 PM
I went to the stihl dealer today and made some small talk as i got some supplies. I was talking about the new redmax blowers and asked when he thinks stihl will realize they need something new. He told me actually they tried to get one out this fall but couldnt so next spring it will come out.....heres some details i got....

They are going to discontinue the 420 and the 340....

the new models will be the 500 and the 530

they will use the new 4-mix technology which i didnt know still uses same old 2 cycle fuel....only reason its called 4 mix is cause its a four valve engine allowing more power and rpm's.....dont understand how that makes it more environmentally friendly

It is like is said to quote "absolutely blow out any blower on the market right now including the 8001 redmax"

the engine will also be increased in size

he thinks the price will increase a little bit but your getting a tremendously better blower

All i know is i cant wait for this to come out.....im sure all of you other stihl fans feel the same

out4now
10-08-2004, 09:02 PM
A few people here said they tried it out and it was not that impressed in an earlier post.

dvmcmrhp52
10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
I'll stick with 2 cycle, thanks..................

bob
10-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Yea, If You Can Get It Started!

Travis Followell
10-08-2004, 09:47 PM
If it uses a 4 mix engine then it will definately be good. We have a FS 110 trimmer with the new 4 mix engine and it is the most powerful trimmer i have ever used and from now on I will not be buying anything other than Stihl 4 mix trimmers.

TURF DOCTOR
10-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Blow redmax away not

alpine692003
10-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Ya, I was the 1st one to demo the unit at my dealer..

Not impressed at all, my shindaiwa eb630 still blows it away..

bettergrass
10-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Blow redmax away not

I just think some people on this thread are

a) ignorant of the specs (as i am too but the dealer wasnt)

b) just are big fans of redmax or just big fans of stihl

Sam-Ohio
10-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Trust me - you are going to be blown away by the new Stihl backpack blowers using the 4 cycle engine. [the pun was intended]

They have much MORE power, yet produce much less whining sound, and they burn about 30% less fuel per hour than the old 2 cycle technology blowers use.

The insurmountable problem that a piston ported 2 cycle engine has is that the intake port and the exaust port are both opened by the piston at the same time. A considerable amount of incoming air and raw fuel blow right across the piston , and straight out the exaust port and never get burned at all. This is why a valve controled 4 cycle engine produces more power from less fuel [and less polution] than any 2 cycle can accomplish.

Kelly's Landscaping
10-09-2004, 01:09 AM
I picked up 3 more br420s a week ago so I have 6 going into fall I really wanted to wait for the new models but I need to think get work done rather then what I want. The sales guy took me behind the counter to look at his screen his rep had just placed the order they still don't even know the prices so that was left blank. But I saw 3 not 2 new model numbers and one of them was labeled br600 I am dying to see what that bad boy is.

Envy Lawn Service
10-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, the larger of these blowers will DAWG everything currently on the market. I've known about them a very long time... a year or more atleast. Anyways, yes they will be slightly more effcient, but the big story is in the way it makes power, which nothing else on the market can match. Today's regular 2 cycle blowers don't even have the engine power and torque to produce the blowing power of these new Stihl blowers....

Plus they will not stick out a mile off your back like the Red Max blowers do. I take nothing away from Red Max, but I don't see how you guys live with that....

Shadetree Ltd
10-09-2004, 02:43 AM
I will have to check what model number I demo'd but it was definately the new Stihl 4 stroke rated 65 dcb This blower wasn't comparable to the Shindaiwa EB630's that I run. It was much quieter, but that was it. I did not use it for any real length of time but it had trouble with some wet grass clumps in the dealers driveway that even our old EB480 Shindaiwa's would have no trouble with. I will try and find out what model it was. This isn't speculation either, I personally had it on my back and was using it.

Scott

ITL
10-09-2004, 09:50 AM
The competition is good to permit us more choices. It will be interesting to see how the hopefully higher powered 4-mix Stihl's compare in terms of power, fuel economy, noise, packaging/weight, and price to the more modern 2-stroke units. The modern emission compliant 2 stroke engine should gain 25 to 30 percent fuel efficiency over old technology 2-strokes. Redmax EBZ engines (like the EBZ8000 Blower) uses two throats in the carb, one for traditional air/fuel mix and the other just for air. This permits a "stratified" layer of air only to exhaust and separate the burned mixture from the chamber. This should go a long way to increase the fuel efficiency and improve emissions of the modern designed 2-stroke.

I am thinking of the next level when a company will bring out a highpower backpack bower and other hand held equipment that has a 4-stroke engine that does not use oil mixed in the fuel. This will eliminate the second can of fuel and the price of the oil used to mix with gas. I would think a backpack blower would be a good place to start as it does not have to run in extreme angles.

Regards Wayne

arborist-28
11-24-2004, 03:51 AM
We will certainly find out ... cause I'm gonna go try em out this spring heck if there good as they say I'll have to get me one for sure ...

grass_cuttin_fool
11-24-2004, 08:26 AM
I got to see the new stihl blowers at the GIE in North Carolina. They seem to be smaller or more compact than the RedMax 8000. The literature I got there doesnt have the new blowers in it yet so I dont know how they stack up in cfm's.The only comments I have seen or heard is from the 2 guys that have posted in this thread.I hope that Stihl comes out with something close to the power of Redmax cause I like my stihl equipment I have and the 2 dealers that are close to me

Lawnworks
11-24-2004, 02:59 PM
My 4mix stihl and red max equipment is sooo powerful. :rolleyes: I cant wait for the stihl to come out.

JPLAWNSERVICE
11-24-2004, 03:12 PM
It seems like one of the biggest complaints about the stihl 4 mix products is that you still have to mix the oil with the gas. It is going to be hard to design an engine that will operate at the angles that most handheld equipment operates at without it using mixed gas and oil. With the 4 mix you get the power and efficiency of the 4 cycles and the agility of 2 stoke equipment. Yes a backpack may operate at standard angles but trimmers and edgers don't.

Lawnworks
11-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I am not having too much trouble w/ my redmax true 4-cycle. It seems to operate at all angles. But I think it would be tough to maintain 4-6 of these trimmers as far as checking oil/changing oil. IMO opinion the stihl trimmer is multi-crew friendly.

Fareway Lawncare
11-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Tried the new 4Mix Blower...think it was a 500 or 550 or 600. There's 2 Models...One Bad & One Badder.

Didn't Blow Nearly as Hard as the Beast Redmax8000 but I may have been using the Less Powerful Model.

The 8000 Amazes Me every Time it's Used...Specs Must be Off to keep selling the last of the 7001's because it Blows the Echo 750 & RM7001 Away !

grassredneck
11-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Not too impressed with the new Stihl 4-cycle-bought the pole pruner-I noticed my shoulders getting much stronger after the 4x's I used the thing and the lack of power was also disappointing. I love my Stihl chainsaw and evrything else I've used but be warned-the Stihl 4 cycle isn't comparable to a 2 cycle. Hopefully, the blowers are much better than that pruner

Envy Lawn Service
11-24-2004, 09:12 PM
I got to see the new stihl blowers at the GIE in North Carolina. They seem to be smaller or more compact than the RedMax 8000. The literature I got there doesnt have the new blowers in it yet so I dont know how they stack up in cfm's.The only comments I have seen or heard is from the 2 guys that have posted in this thread.I hope that Stihl comes out with something close to the power of Redmax cause I like my stihl equipment I have and the 2 dealers that are close to me

I've known these blowers were coming out for a long time. Stihl has worked long and hard on the design. The people at Stihl seem to see things the way I do. The RedMax blowers were much stronger back then. But this came at a high premium, with high fuel consumption and uncomfortable design trade offs.

The new RedMax 8000 is certainly a beast. But have you taken a hard look at it? Had it on your back? It's a beast in that respect too. The price I was quoted was also $520. Stihl wanted to build a comfortable, efficient, yet strong backpack blower that wouldn't blow a hole in your wallet.

I will make some comments in how they are supposed to stack up to the competition in another post....

Fareway Lawncare
11-24-2004, 09:21 PM
I've walked around for a solid week w/the RM800 strapped to my back for 6hrs per day....Weight isn't an Issue...Power is.

Envy you Strike Me as a bit of a Girlie Man.

Travis Followell
11-24-2004, 09:22 PM
I've known these blowers were coming out for a long time. Stihl has worked long and hard on the design. The people at Stihl seem to see things the way I do. The RedMax blowers were much stronger back then. But this came at a high premium, with high fuel consumption and uncomfortable design trade offs.

The new RedMax 8000 is certainly a beast. But have you taken a hard look at it? Had it on your back? It's a beast in that respect too. The price I was quoted was also $520. Stihl wanted to build a comfortable, efficient, yet strong backpack blower that wouldn't blow a hole in your wallet.

I will make some comments in how they are supposed to stack up to the competition in another post....

I'll be looking forward to that post. :blob3:

Envy Lawn Service
11-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Tried the new 4Mix Blower...think it was a 500 or 550 or 600. There's 2 Models...One Bad & One Badder.

Didn't Blow Nearly as Hard as the Beast Redmax8000 but I may have been using the Less Powerful Model.

The 8000 Amazes Me every Time it's Used...Specs Must be Off to keep selling the last of the 7001's because it Blows the Echo 750 & RM7001 Away !
Well, there is going to be several models to come out, some that have not even been press released yet. There are 2 or 3 units that are official as of now.

The people coming on here saying these blowers don't measure up didn't even realize they were only trying out the early release of the unit designed for use in noise restricted areas. Apples and oranges....

The second unit is basically the same blower, less the noise restriction crap. It is a world stronger than the low db unit, and also stronger than any Stihl blower made previously.... but at no price increase over the old ones. Now I think this unit is [u]supposed[/b] to compair with anything short of the RedMax 800... either this unit or the next one up.

Anyways, there are more to come. The next models up from those are larger cc engines with even more power to match or top anything currently out.

Fareway Lawncare
11-24-2004, 09:51 PM
I believe I tested the Noise Restriction Model....lighter Not as Powerful as the RM8000...The Bad Not Badder.

Can you explain How the 4Mix Blower will be Lighter than a 2cycle blower when All of Stihl's current 4Mix (Junk...My Opinion...Let it Lie) is Heavier than Comparable 2Cycle Stuff & 4Mix by Nature (More Parts) is Heavier.

wissel_landscaping
11-24-2004, 09:54 PM
I've had stihl trimmers, blowers, edgers in the past i changed to echo and redmax years ago i would never go back to stihl even if stihl made a blower with twice the power of a 8000 its still a stihl i wouldnt buy it.

lawncat
11-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Does someone here have a direct secret pipeline into the Stihl factory or are all these comments just dreams, wishes or fantasy? Some people here seem to be so special with all this inside information....I am impressed...I think

Envy Lawn Service
11-24-2004, 10:09 PM
I've walked around for a solid week w/the RM800 strapped to my back for 6hrs per day....Weight isn't an Issue...Power is.

Envy you Strike Me as a bit of a Girlie Man.

Think of me that way if you like. Doesn't matter to me. No weight isn't an issue unless you are like me and have 7 bad discs in your back. It also isn't an issue until you have taken weight as the trade off for years and start to get down in your own back.... start having employees with work related injuries, ect, insurance premiums increase for this line of work, ect. It's all relative.

From what I understand, the RM 8000 is supposed to have some sort of waist belt to help out? Good if it does.

Anyways, I just put the RedMax 8000 on my back yesterday morning, no waist belt? Anyways, for me I have to consider the weight. But frankly, as with all the big RedMax backpacks, the weight is not the major comfort issue for me....

Frankly it's the overall bulk of the units and lousy design. The major issue there? The dang thing sticks out a mile off your back! I feel like I'm walking around with a counter balancer on my back. To me that's more uncomfortable than the weight. I'm sure you get used to that after a while. But it's still got to be an uneeded leverage strain and it can't help you keep your balance if you stumble over a stick, root or hole in the ground. Plus it's got to snag on things.

Now consider the Stihl design. Tell me you wouldn't rather have it on your back than the RedMax 8000.

Envy Lawn Service
11-24-2004, 11:03 PM
I believe I tested the Noise Restriction Model....lighter Not as Powerful as the RM8000...The Bad Not Badder.

Can you explain How the 4Mix Blower will be Lighter than a 2cycle blower when All of Stihl's current 4Mix (Junk...My Opinion...Let it Lie) is Heavier than Comparable 2Cycle Stuff & 4Mix by Nature (More Parts) is Heavier.

I would guess so. The next unit up makes more power and has more air flow as well. The other has the low noise impellor and noise restrictions on the engine. But you gotta admit, while it's no RM 8000, it's strong for a low db unit.

The 4 mix blower my not be lighter to any great degree. However it's not out so far off your back, less leverage. Also, the 4 mix is a true 4 stroke engine that happens to burn 2 cycle mix. So it makes more torque to turn high flow impellors with less engine.

Other Stihl stuff is purposefully built tuff. More steel equals more weight. It's that simple. The FS85 for example is a brush cutter with a trimmer head installed. There other comparably constructed units weigh the same as other brands. Start using cables, hollow shafts, whimpy gear boxes, lighter reinforcements, ect, the weight goes down.

On that note, Stihl has a new 4-Mix trimmer that is going to be extremely popular. It's butter. Has the 4-Mix engine, hollow steel drive shaft, good gear box, auto cut 25-2 head, and extra reinforcement weight shaved off the business end that is not needed because it's just a commercial duty line trimmer. Again, absolute butter. This trimmer is better balanced than any other unit on the market. Suitable for one handed use.

50ccmx
11-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Stihl will be coming out with 3 blowers, 2 in the spring and the biggest one next fall. At the last stihl meeting there own bar graph showed the biggest one still didn't have as much power as the 8000 red max, but did have more than the 7001.
You guys haven't mentioned that all there new blowers will be gaining weight even though they may look smaller. The last specs I saw said they would weigh around 22.6 lbs. A lot more than there current blowers which will not be discontinued anytime soon.

Shadetree Ltd
11-25-2004, 01:50 AM
The Stihl blower that I demoed was the 500 the low dcb model and not the 550. I cannot comment on the larger one but do have a few comments about the Red Max 8000. This blower is unreal compared to the Shindaiwa EB630's (similar to the 7001) that I am replacing. It is large compared to the 7001 and when you pick it up it is noticeably heavier but once you strap it on the difference isn't very much. The performance of this blower over the others was way more than I expected. The waist strap that SHOULD be on them makes a great difference. When you tighten that strap it takes the weight of the blower that usually sits on top of your shoulders/back and places the weight on your hips. You can have your slimmer, fancier looking blowers, I will take the 8000 do the job and be on my way soo much quicker.

Scott

PS As for the leverage and weight, I have a girl that works for me that has no problem with the 8000 for hours. She is 5'4" and maybe 120 pounds.

alpine692003
11-25-2004, 02:21 AM
So Shadetree,

How does the 8000 compare to the Eb630 aresenal's? :rolleyes:

Shadetree Ltd
11-25-2004, 02:33 AM
Much better. The price is almost the same for me, has double the warranty of the Shindaiwa and the power is GREAT. The only negative is they are a little on the large side.

Scott

alpine692003
11-25-2004, 02:36 AM
I dont care about the heavy side, as long as its more powerful..

I'll look into this REDMAX 8000 as well, I just added another EB630 to the fleet doh!!

bettergrass
11-25-2004, 02:38 AM
so is stihl planning on keeping the current models in production as well....

YardPro
11-25-2004, 09:11 AM
hey envy,
you getting a kickback from stihl???
lo l you sound like a salesman...:)

you believe marketing hype too much.
i bought a sthil br340 and it woould make a better boat anchor than a blower.
hard to start when hot, no power, constant carb problems.....
i have had several stihl (hs 85 hedge trimmers,?39? chainsaw, the whatever thier new (bought this year) stick edger is, the br 340, and handheld blower) products and have not been impressed with any of them. ever since they started farming out manufacturing the quality has suffered IMO

50ccmx
11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
bettergrass, they will keep the old models in production for a pretty long time. With the new blowers they will not have anything in the 299.00 price range. The new 550 and the Br420 will be priced about the same, so they say most people will buy the new 550 because of increased power at the same price. Hope this helps.

Envy Lawn Service
11-28-2004, 10:34 PM
OK, here is some info on the unit you guys have been trying out.

BR 500 Low Noise

Engine Disp: 64.9cc
Dry Weight: 22.7 lbs
Air Volume: 477 cfm (with tubes)
Air Speed: 181 mph
Noise Level: 65 dB

EBZ8000

Engine Disp: 71.9 cc
Dry Weight: 24.9 lbs
Air Volume: 943 cfm
Air Speed: 203 mph
Noise Level: 78 dB

Like I said, comparing apples to oranges. The two blowers are not even in the same league, and Stihl did not even intend for the BR 500 to put up against the likes of the EBZ8000. Stihl intended to build a better, more powerful 65 dB class blower. They have done that and now have the strongest one I know of on the market. Plus you've got to admit it's strong for a 65 dB blower, not bad for the bottom of the line, and not bad for the price. So stop comparing it to the EBZ8000.....

TomB
11-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Redmax also makes a "quite" blower that might compare more with that new Sthil 500. They have an EBZ5000Q. The specs are 590CFM, 142MPH, 19.8lbs. Coming in at a retail price of $369.99.

Runner
11-30-2004, 09:34 PM
So bottom loine is, Redmax still makes the strongest backpack available on the market today - (and tomorrow, by the looks of it).
Personally, I have two Echos, a PB 6000 and a PB 601 (replaced the 6000). I have had these for quite a few years now, and I must say, that I love them They fire right up everytime, are very comfortable, run great, and have PLENTY of power. That is not to mention that these things are built as strong as steel. That is STEEL, not Stihl. lol

Sam-Ohio
11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Yard Pro:

What are you talking about "Stihl farming out their production" ????

Stihl makes ALL their own engines - in every one of their current products. The majority of their engine driven products [92% to be exact] are made in the Stihl factory at Virginia Beech, Va.

The only engine driven units still made in their German factory are the 3 largest chain saws, the cut off saws, and some HUGE trimmers that they call clearing saws.

Stihl does not currently buy or use any engines from any outside supplier. They did buy short blocks from Ryan and complete engines from Shibaru for their trimmers at one time, but this has been many years ago.

Fareway Lawncare
11-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey Runner...The 601 on the Left & 6000 On the Right....These Bad Boys are 10 Years Old & Still Run Strong...First Pull...Lots of Duct Tape on the Tubes & Strap Repairs But Otherwise Flawless...Never Once in the Shop !

These Were the Baddest of the Bad 10 Years Ago...About the Same Power As a 2004 Stihl 420 Magnum.

Envy Lawn Service
11-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey, I've seen some of those Echo's like that sitting in the corner at my dealer.
There was also an orange one made of steel.

TomB
11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Stihl was buying the Strato Charged engine from Redmax at one point to sell in CA. Not sure if they are still doing that.

Envy Lawn Service
11-30-2004, 10:08 PM
OK, lets see if this works so you can see what I mean about the 'design' of the 4-Mix blowers. This is the BR 500

Travis Followell
11-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Hey, I've seen some of those Echo's like that sitting in the corner at my dealer.
There was also an orange one made of steel.
Echo currently still makes one model that is orange. Its the model PB410 and it has a 39.7 cc engine. It is made to accomidate a sprayer attachment so I guess thats why they painted it orange so it could be distinguished from the other backpacks.

bettergrass
12-01-2004, 12:45 AM
where did you get that pic or is it of you

Fareway Lawncare
12-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Let us Pray that Stihl Understands that Power is Much More important than Noise Levels and Weight.

Give Us the Biggest Baddest 4Mix Possible..

Please.... No More Mamby Pamby Blowers From Stihl.

Richard Martin
12-01-2004, 04:03 AM
Let us Pray that Stihl Understands that Power is Much More important than Noise Levels and Weight.

Noise levels and weight are important issues even though they may not be for you. There are areas of the country that have noise ordinances that are specifically aimed at blowers. Judging from what I've used and read about the competition's LN blowers the BR500 will be the King of low noise blowers by far. Stihl may also be gambling that LN laws become widespread and if that happens they will be way out ahead of everyone else.

I also don't want to be hauling some 30 pound beast around on my back all day. Lean too far this way, you're on the ground. Lean too far that way, the same thing.

chief5139
12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Don't know much about stihl and redmax but I know the ech-650 and 750 are bad machines they will do any thing you want them to and the heavy air filter on te 750 is king and makes your engine last longer

Envy Lawn Service
12-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Echo currently still makes one model that is orange. Its the model PB410 and it has a 39.7 cc engine. It is made to accomidate a sprayer attachment so I guess thats why they painted it orange so it could be distinguished from the other backpacks.

Well, that's cool. Heck I thought it was an old relic or something! I do wish I had picked the orange one up, just to see how heavy it was since it was all metal.

Envy Lawn Service
12-01-2004, 10:56 PM
where did you get that pic or is it of you

No, that's not me. I wouldn't be caught dressed like that unless I ran Grasshopper mowers. The picture is actually from a Stihl Inc ad slick for the introduction of the BR 500.

Envy Lawn Service
12-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Noise levels and weight are important issues even though they may not be for you. There are areas of the country that have noise ordinances that are specifically aimed at blowers. Judging from what I've used and read about the competition's LN blowers the BR500 will be the King of low noise blowers by far. Stihl may also be gambling that LN laws become widespread and if that happens they will be way out ahead of everyone else.

I also don't want to be hauling some 30 pound beast around on my back all day. Lean too far this way, you're on the ground. Lean too far that way, the same thing.

Ditto.... Amen.... :waving:

bettergrass
12-01-2004, 11:42 PM
hahahh i just looked at the pic again and thought about it. i dont see anyone running a rig wearing that inless there working for brickman

bettergrass
12-03-2004, 10:45 PM
this is interesting.....i was looking at the 8001's pdf file for stats. it seems to be that redmax shows their cfm rating w/o tubes on there main listing while stihl rates their blower on the website with tubes.

redmax's blower when tested with tubes was rated for 600 cfm. seems like the 8001 is as powerful as it seems when its compared under the same circumstances.

just wondering though....is there a reason you may run it without tubes

Travis Followell
12-03-2004, 10:51 PM
this is interesting.....i was looking at the 8001's pdf file for stats. it seems to be that redmax shows their cfm rating w/o tubes on there main listing while stihl rates their blower on the website with tubes.

redmax's blower when tested with tubes was rated for 600 cfm. seems like the 8001 is as powerful as it seems when its compared under the same circumstances.

just wondering though....is there a reason you may run it without tubes
Get on a skateboard, strap on the 8000 without the tube, hold it wide open and go for a ride. Thats the only reason you wouldn't need the tubes.

mowerman90
12-03-2004, 11:30 PM
These are "Spy Shots" of the new Stihl BR8000 due out in 2008. A little heavy at 79 lbs but it has a whopping 8000 CFM and it doesn't need a tube. Clears leaves, snow and small animals at half throttle and compact cars at full throttle.

dvmcmrhp52
12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Got to it before I did,huh?
I was just going to blast the boy while you were removing it....................... :waving:

LawnBoy89
12-11-2004, 12:45 AM
The Echo PB757 (according to there website and redmax's) has has better stats (CFM) then the RM8000.

Anyway, I don't really think it matters what the best of the best really is, it is personal preference that makes the decision because that is what matters to everyone. The Stihl is probably still going to be very powerful whether it is more powerful then the 8000 or not. In ten years when 1000 CFM with tubes is nothing people are going to look at RM8000's like they are toys, but in reality it is still a very powerful blower.

Just wondering, Envy, are you currently running Stihl blowers?

Envy Lawn Service
12-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Just wondering, Envy, are you currently running Stihl blowers?

No... actually I'm waiting for these new ones to become readily available.
I currently run Echo.

paponte
12-12-2004, 11:41 AM
It's called competition guys. Alot are talking about replacing their Shindaiwa 630's with the new Redmax. Why don't you just wait till spring when Shindaiwa release THEIR new blower that will blow away the competition? I already have my new Shindaiwa reserved.

Everyone has to keep up with the competition, and everyone makes claims. :)

ed2hess
12-12-2004, 01:57 PM

Give Us the Biggest Baddest 4Mix Possible..

Please.... No More Mamby Pamby Blowers From Stihl.
I definitely don't agree with this statement! All the big cities is fed up with the noise associated with blowers and many have noise laws already. With regard to weight any unit over 20# is not useable on a day-day basis without risk of back injury.

Fareway Lawncare
12-12-2004, 02:24 PM
4Mix Blower has the Potential to Really Pack a Wallop....As Long As they don't Focus Too Much on Weight or Noise...especially in their Non Noise Restricted Model !

In Spring or Fall Most Guys want the Most Powerful Backpack Available.
Every Fall I've bought The Baddest BackPack on the Planet as a Reward for Making it through Another Cutting Season....The last time it was Stihl was a BR400....Ten Years Ago.

bettergrass
12-12-2004, 05:22 PM
any idea on the new stihls weight

Travis Followell
12-12-2004, 05:49 PM
any idea on the new stihls weight
I don't know exactly what they'll weigh but I bet they'll be lighter than a Redmax 8000.

Envy Lawn Service
12-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I don't know exactly what they'll weigh but I bet they'll be lighter than a Redmax 8000.

I'm thinking along the same lines also. Or hoping atleast. My guess is a couple of pounds less than the 8000. But that's not really the main thing. What is going to be nice is the close fit to the back. That way it won't feel so much like carrying around a counter-balancer on your back. The 4 stroke torque will be nice also.

ow man
12-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Ever counted how many moving parts are in the valve train of a Stihl 4 mix?
37! Even though they are lubricated by your mix, they will still wear. Redmax stratocharges their engines, (bringing in a clean air shot that closes off the exhaust port) that allows no hydrocarbon loss and increases fuel savings by 30% This engine meets EPA with only a piston, rings, rod, and a crank.
Stihl can only meet EPA by the 4 mix. Ever wonder why the popular FS85 is now gone? The 4mix is the only way they can do it. By closing off the cylinder on one stroke like a 4 stroke engine. Also many manufacturers now run catalytic mufflers to meet EPA. This adds weight, cost, and most importantly HEAT. I've seen some of these mufflers orange. Also witnessed covers melting.
Redmax pioneered the strato to meet EPA back in 1997. They seen what was comming.

ow man
12-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Oh and by the way. Check out the warranty statement for stihl blowers and trimmers. 1 year commercial warranty. Redmax has a 2 year commercial warranty on their commercial trimmers and blowers.

captaingreen
12-15-2004, 12:28 PM
I asked my dealer about the new blowers and he said they are not sure when or if they will be getting the new blowers. I'm definately getting a new backpack, but I may wait if I can get one with the 4 mix technology. Have any of you guys heard for SURE when they will be available?

Smalltimer1
12-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh and by the way. Check out the warranty statement for stihl blowers and trimmers. 1 year commercial warranty. Redmax has a 2 year commercial warranty on their commercial trimmers and blowers.

Incorrect. My Stihl FS-80R has a 2 year commercial warranty.

Smalltimer1
12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Ever counted how many moving parts are in the valve train of a Stihl 4 mix?
37! Even though they are lubricated by your mix, they will still wear. Redmax stratocharges their engines, (bringing in a clean air shot that closes off the exhaust port) that allows no hydrocarbon loss and increases fuel savings by 30% This engine meets EPA with only a piston, rings, rod, and a crank.
Stihl can only meet EPA by the 4 mix. Ever wonder why the popular FS85 is now gone? The 4mix is the only way they can do it. By closing off the cylinder on one stroke like a 4 stroke engine. Also many manufacturers now run catalytic mufflers to meet EPA. This adds weight, cost, and most importantly HEAT. I've seen some of these mufflers orange. Also witnessed covers melting.
Redmax pioneered the strato to meet EPA back in 1997. They seen what was comming.

Does more parts actually make that much difference? In the end, NO.

Fareway Lawncare
12-15-2004, 08:54 PM
You Should Double Check That Warranty info...No 2 Year Commercial Warranty on Trimmers eXcept on ignition module & shaft.

Regardless, More Parts Means More Weight and More to Break and More to Service...That's Why the 4Mix Blower Should...in Theory...Be Heavier !?!

Smalltimer1
12-15-2004, 09:14 PM
I did double check, receipt and warranty tag says 2 years commercial warranty for anything related to non-abuse related problems.

Have you bought one lately?? Doesn't sound like it.

So you're saying a Honda pushmower with OHC (lots more parts, so there should be more to break and go wrong, right??) should not run longer and have less to service compared to a Briggs and Stratton 4 hp "L"-head mower?????

Your logic is very weak.

Fareway Lawncare
12-15-2004, 09:33 PM
http://www.stihlusa.com/warranty.html

This Part Sticks Out...

"For all trimmer, brushcutter, clearing saw, blower, sprayer, vacuum/shredder, hedge trimmer, edger, tree pruner, power sweeper, multi-tool machines, accessory gearbox attachments, boring drill and auger models:
Two years from the date of purchase when used for personal, family or household purposes.
One year from date of purchase when used for professional or income producing purposes except rental use."

Travis Followell
12-15-2004, 10:43 PM
I have seen some of the models of the " NEW " Orange Backpack Blowers they have had in field testing. The FourFix was a pre-mature attempt to re-invent the wheel. Why use complicated four stroke maintenence hungry low fuel capacity units when two strokes with one fourth the moving parts, longer run time per tank and a proven design are in the field.The reason they couldn't get it to the field was its propensity to melt the miles of housing on the unit. Guess who has a bigger blower on the way for 2005, you guessed it RedMax! :cool2:
Sounds to me like you were bashing Stihl pretty good. Take a look at my signature. I'm a big fan of Stihl equipment. I've never used any Redmax equipment so I can't comment on it but we do have a new Stihl 4 mix trimmer and it can't be beat. I'm sure Redmax is good equipment but the 4 mix Stihl is the best available IMO.

Smalltimer1
12-15-2004, 10:45 PM
http://www.stihlusa.com/warranty.html

This Part Sticks Out...

"For all trimmer, brushcutter, clearing saw, blower, sprayer, vacuum/shredder, hedge trimmer, edger, tree pruner, power sweeper, multi-tool machines, accessory gearbox attachments, boring drill and auger models:
Two years from the date of purchase when used for personal, family or household purposes.
One year from date of purchase when used for professional or income producing purposes except rental use."

Do you have a warranty tag on a machine that YOU BOUGHT that says that??? Mine sure doesn't. It says 2 years regardless of usage.

Smalltimer1
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM
I have seen some of the models of the " NEW " Orange Backpack Blowers they have had in field testing. The FourFix was a pre-mature attempt to re-invent the wheel. Why use complicated four stroke maintenence hungry low fuel capacity units when two strokes with one fourth the moving parts, longer run time per tank and a proven design are in the field.The reason they couldn't get it to the field was its propensity to melt the miles of housing on the unit. Guess who has a bigger blower on the way for 2005, you guessed it RedMax! :cool2:

Read my example above referring to the Honda vs. the Briggs--it proves everything you say wrong.

Fareway Lawncare
12-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Compare the Honda to a Suzuki or Duraforce Not a Briggs....Heavier....More Maint.....Because it's a Honda Mabe Nearly as Tuff...But I've Never had a Suzuki or Duraforce Go Down.

Regardless, I'd Be interested to Hear the eXact wording on that Warranty...

Smalltimer1
12-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Compare the Honda to a Suzuki or Duraforce Not a Briggs....Heavier....More Maint.....Because it's a Honda Mabe Nearly as Tuff...But I've Never had a Suzuki or Duraforce Go Down.

Regardless, I'd Be interested to Hear the eXact wording on that Warranty...

In your logic, a flathead Briggs vs. a OHC Honda, the Briggs would win. You're dodging the question trying to drag Suzukis (unheard of around here in equipment) and Duraforce (also unheard of around here). You're pulling a red herring on the question. With your logic the Briggs would be the better engine of the 2.

carlsmower
01-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Stihl BR550

64.9cc
4 hp
22lbs
47.3 oz fuel tank
530cfm at end of tubes
199mph at end of tubes

Lower Vibration, Quieter, Easier starts

List $399.95
avaliable feb/march (keep your fingers crossed)

New list price on BR420 $419.95

grass_cuttin_fool
01-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I like my Stihl equipment very well and I own a few of them. I am not very impressed with thoose figures.
stihl br340 488 cfm and 161 mph ... $299.00
stihl br420 518 cfm and 172 mph....$399.00 ( as of today here)
stihl br550 530 cfm and 199 mph....$399.00
It seems to me that Stihl has spent alot of money to gain 30 mph in wind speed. I think more or less they spent alot of money to EPA compliant, Looks they would have got more in line with Red Max, Shindy and Echo with performance. Dont get me wrong I own alot of stihl equipment but i think I will have to look elsewhere for a blower for fall clean ups. Is the 550 suppose to be top of the line in performance? When I was at the GIE there were 2 blowers there but I didnt pay any attention to the numbers?

splatz100
03-04-2005, 04:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71274&item=4361903461&rd=1

they have one on ebay

Tanaka
03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Sounds to me like you were bashing Stihl pretty good. Take a look at my signature. I'm a big fan of Stihl equipment. I've never used any Redmax equipment so I can't comment on it but we do have a new Stihl 4 mix trimmer and it can't be beat. I'm sure Redmax is good equipment but the 4 mix Stihl is the best available IMO.

Hey Travis-
I ran the new FS 100, Shind T-2510, and Husky 324LX today. Honestly, the Stihl impressed me the least out of all three. If I had to choose a 4-machine, I would go with the Shind.

The Stihl was the noisest, vibrated the most (by far), and puked out when I ran it in different positions.

goodbeus
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Was at the Stihl dealer the other day and they showd me the new 550 blower...they tried to blow a brick with the 420, blew it about 4 inches...pulled out the 550 and it just kept flipping the brick over and over....there is a 650 coming out later this year...believe he said it would run around $459.00

grass_cuttin_fool
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
We had a field day today at my local stihl dealer today, i was rather impressed by the fs100. It was quiet and I didnt notice any vibration. The br550 was there today also, It doesnt seem to turn alot of rpms and is veryyyyyyyyyy noisey. As far as power goes we pushed a brick all over the parking lot with it, so it seems to have some power

sawman65
03-04-2005, 09:11 PM

reinvent the wheel?? this engine was use in wwll.it was used as an aircraft engine.and was shelved because of the jet engine.this engine will take over the handheld power tool world.cant wait till you get your first ticket for a blower that is to loud.

Mower Man
03-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Forget colors, forget names. Use cold, unfeeling, true logic.

Simply look at the moving parts. Parts weigh something called 'mass'.
It takes energy to move weight (mass).

Four strokes average over thirty plus (30+) more parts than a two stroke. That's a loss of energy right there. Internal parasitic load.

Valve train maintenance is very important to a four's overall efficency.

Engines produce thermal energy which is converted into mechanical power.
In smaller displacements....the two stroke is more advantageous.

Two cycle pound for pound, size for size generates-converts more power.

-------------------BLOWER IMPROVEMENTS--------------------------------
Stihl 420 vs. 550
CFM difference not a major factor.
MPH improvement is a big factor. That alone can make the brick dance better.
But check out the 550 tube design, and especially the nozzle. Another plus.
Improvements aren't-aren't due to 4 Mix, but blower, and tube improvements.
Other companies also had, or are upgrading to them. Good for everyone.

--------------------------LOGIC vs. FEELINGS-----------------------------
For those of you who hunt mountains, camp, or backpack, you know already know the type of backpack, straps, pack frame, waist belt, and how it's all worn will make a big difference in comfort, and amount of supplies carried.

A scale is a scale. It has no feeling. It's not a human back.

A scale is a scale. It doesn't care if something is weighed upside down, if the straps aren't tight, the waist belt is used, or even if it's worn correctly.

A scale is a scale. It doesn't care if your tall, or short . Thin or wide.

A scale is just a scale. It's not worn on your back.

chief5139
03-05-2005, 10:10 AM
if you want the feeling of just raw power try the ech 750

lawnman_scott
03-05-2005, 11:14 AM
What does it weigh? 400 lbs? Anyway, its good to hear an unbias opinion...........LOL

Fareway Lawncare
03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Forget colors, forget names. Use cold, unfeeling, true logic.

Simply look at the moving parts. Parts weigh something called 'mass'.
It takes energy to move weight (mass).

Four strokes average over thirty plus (30+) more parts than a two stroke. That's a loss of energy right there. Internal parasitic load.

Valve train maintenance is very important to a four's overall efficency.

Engines produce thermal energy which is converted into mechanical power.
In smaller displacements....the two stroke is more advantageous.

Two cycle pound for pound, size for size generates-converts more power.

The Stihl Dealer Keeps Pushing the Light Weight 550...In Point of Fact if the BR600 Ever Does See the Light of Day and it's as Powerful as the Big Boy 2Cycles...it's Going to Have to be Heavier.

Shady Lawncare
03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I finally had the chance to run the new BR-550 at a dealer open house and it sucked big time!

Much heavier than the old BR-420 and not nearly as powerful as the Redmax 8000 or even the Echo PB-651.

Several people were goofing on the Stihl rep who was trying to tell us that the 550 was better than the rest and the "new technology" was the future.

4 mix only came about because Stihl cannot meet EPA standards with their 2 cycle stuff. (If 4 mix is so great, why is Stihl still trying to come up with new 2 cycle technology??

Redmax and Echo still rule the backpack market!

woodmedic
03-29-2005, 10:43 AM
I finally had the chance to run the new BR-550 at a dealer open house and it sucked big time!

Much heavier than the old BR-420 and not nearly as powerful as the Redmax 8000 or even the Echo PB-651.

Several people were goofing on the Stihl rep who was trying to tell us that the 550 was better than the rest and the "new technology" was the future.

4 mix only came about because Stihl cannot meet EPA standards with their 2 cycle stuff. (If 4 mix is so great, why is Stihl still trying to come up with new 2 cycle technology??

Redmax and Echo still rule the backpack market!

Funny how some of the "Redmax Echo" people on this board are so uncomfortable with competition that they have to constantly bash Stihl any chance they get. It is one thing to try to show the good things about the products you like (or sell) but why the need to slam the others? If you stuff is so good, you should'nt have to badmouth the others. Do a search on this guy and you will see that all he does is go around shooting at Stihl because apparently he does'nt sell it.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Funny how some of the "Redmax Echo" people on this board are so uncomfortable with competition that they have to constantly bash Stihl any chance they get. It is one thing to try to show the good things about the products you like (or sell) but why the need to slam the others? If you stuff is so good, you should'nt have to badmouth the others. Do a search on this guy and you will see that all he does is go around shooting at Stihl because apparently he does'nt sell it.

My thinking is each manufacturer does certain products better. I like stihl chain saws, I'm now going to like Redmax blowers and trimmers. I always like my Maryuama Trimmers I had but they are getting on in years and dealers are limited...times change, product changes go with the flow, support what you like but don't bash others for what they like.

woodmedic
03-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Amen Jeff!!!

Jeff@SGLC.ca
03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Amen Jeff!!!

NO problems.....

Envy Lawn Service
03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
To be honest, Im tired of waiting around on the 600 series. Stihl is slow, but that is good I guess. I'm just tired of waiting around and as much as I'd rather buy American (know that doesn't matter to you) I may end up buying something else when it comes time for a new backpack. So I guess you could hardly call me a brand loyalist because of that and because I also have currently have a blower that is not a Stihl. It's and Echo.

But all in all, I'm just tired of hearing Echo this and RedMax that. I've had Echo stuff and I HAVE Echo stuff. It's just not the same quality, sorry, nowhere in the ball park. I say that reguardless who has the baddest blower on the block and reguardless of what CARB or the EPA has to say... I have both and my nose can't smell the difference. They are both dirty.....

ALL 2 cycle engines are DIRTY and their demise is CERTAIN.

Anyone who can't come to terms with that is living on a prayer. Sorry, I like 2 cycles too, but new two cycle technology??? Gimmie a BREAK. It's all been done, and nomatter what they are going to be dirtier than the 4 mix because of basic design, and both 2 cycles and 4-Mix are going to be dirtier than 4 stroke stuff because they BURN OIL in the fuel.

Read the writing on the wall guys, everybody who is anybody in the handheld sector already has 4 cycle technology out, ecept Echo and RedMax. Yes, even Husqvarna has joined the scores this year.

The Stihl Dealer Keeps Pushing the Light Weight 550...In Point of Fact if the BR600 Ever Does See the Light of Day and it's as Powerful as the Big Boy 2Cycles...it's Going to Have to be Heavier.

Now Fareway... why would you thing that? The current BR550 is all but equal to the Echo PB 620. Both make 900/530 cfm. The Stihl weighs a mere pound more, but also produces more air speed. On the other hand, the Echo PB 610 also carries the same specs and weighs 2 pounds more than the Stihl.

So I say the Stihl power-to-weight ratio is already a sucess. So no it's not in the class of the PB751, EB7001 or EB8000, but nothing else surpasses it. I also bet the the BR550 engine has the grunt to pull a more agressive blower/housing/tube setup. So I'm betting you will see it and even if not, you will still see an EB8000 class blower from Stihl come in at 24 lbs +/- with the 4-Mix.

Fareway Lawncare
03-30-2005, 12:48 AM
But I will Freely admit to being Charged with Felony Assault and Battery .

You Girls and Your Stihls...I Stihl Use Stihl Saws But Back Pack Blowers are Not Stihl's Forté...Go w/the Bad Boy 2Cycles.

The C Man
03-30-2005, 04:24 AM
You Girls and Your Stihls...I Stihl Use Stihl Saws But Back Pack Blowers are Not Stihl's Forté...Go w/the Bad Boy 2Cycles.
That's all well and good, but what's your point in quoting Ric? Oh, that's right, because you're an assh*le.

Mower Man
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Don't tell the following that their new 2 stroke engines are dead or dying:

Husqvarna's new "X Torque" engine used on the new Homeowner 455, Pro 570, and 575 chain saws.

Stihl's new TS700 Power Cutter.

Echo's new Power Boost Tornado engines for trimmers, soon hedget trimmers, and blowers.

Red Max improved upgraded version of it's 2nd generation Strato Charged engines (they stopped making all their four strokes).

DOLMAR's new TLE engines coming out on five new trimmers.

John Deere's LE trimmers.

New stratified engines by Mitisubishi from 19cc to 43cc.

Evenrude's new E-Tech boat motor. See the crazy TV commercial at www.evenrude.com ....it's funny!

All CARB & EPA approved.....and selling.

lawncare4u
04-04-2005, 02:00 PM
RED-MAX or STHIL...........THEY BOTH HAVE GOOD PRODUCTS,,,SO WHY SLAM ANYONE ON WHAT THEY USE//MATTER OF CHOICE MY FRIEND :cool:

LwnmwrMan22
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM

Fareway -

What's that Orange backpack, the one on the farthest right?

KLBCCTALLY1
05-11-2005, 07:22 AM
The fact is Stihl has always and will always make a great product and so do all the rest. I tell you what though, check out the warranties. Comercially speaking: Stihl - 90 days, Redmax - 2 years. Big darn difference. I currently use Stihl but will be checking the Redmax backpacks in the future.

mosmgras
05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
I would like to see independent testing of the major brands. I used to work in quality control for a company that produced machine tooling. I can say from experience that (when it comes to testing and specs.) numbers published by the manufacturer are often tainted. It seems that some people want to rely on these numbers to prove that one is better than the other. Take cfm for instance, do the different manufacturers perform the test identically? Is it tested in a variety of conditions? Are there any variables?

In the end I say use what works for you. My Stihl 420 cranks, runs, and blows the grass off of the driveway. This is not to say that Redmax or Echo won't. Stihl is what I have and it works for me. :)