PDA

View Full Version : Lettering on enclosed trailer

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi guys,

I'm working with a sign shop right now to get my new enclosed trailer lettered. They sent me a proof, and I'm not crazy about it. Looks plain, but maybe the simpler the better??

If you have any advice on what could be changed/added/removed, let me know.

BTW, price quote for whats shown in the pictures is $724.50 + tax ( I think its high but thats the same number after I checked with 2 other shops)..

http://qualitylawncare.biz/qualitylawn2.JPG

green with envy
10-08-2004, 08:17 PM
I think it looks clean and professional. I am from the less is more school.

My 2 cents.

Mike

Rwise10230
10-08-2004, 08:33 PM
To really make ya sick.........the dude has $40.00 in material and 1 hr labor to do that lettering......... in all he had about $98.00 in cost....I know.......I do it.............have my own vinyl cutter and compter.........signage is a VERY high margin business...wish we could do this with lawns....

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Ya I know. I can order the stuff off eBay for under $100 and do it myself, but I want the warranty..

I guess its life :dizzy:

SpudsM15
10-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Looks good, I'd say make the back of the trailer bigger fill the space...
Also put "insured, fully insured".....

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Spuds,

I agree on the size for the back. I told him to put insured on it but he forgot..

mrusk
10-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Looks kind of dumb. By all means he should of centered it. Besides not being centered it is alright.

Matt

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 09:06 PM
he told me he couldn't vinyl over fuel doors... I told him to space it out more so he could work around them.. And on the right side, he didn't want to cover the human door.

There will be "proud to support" section added once I get all of the logos for dealers together..

But even with all of his "work".. I'm not very impressed and flipped when I heard the cost vs. what I was getting..

Dwan
10-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Something else that will set it off is you eed the reflective red and silver tape along the bottom

qualitylandscaping
10-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Something else that will set it off is you eed the reflective red and silver tape along the bottom

I got 150' of the red/silver reflective tape when I bought the trailer.. I was going to put it on as soon as I got it, but I had to work.. Then it got dirty and hasn't been washed since, and the tape won't stick :cry:

KINGjosh
10-09-2004, 02:04 AM
Looks good , but does not catch the eye! :dizzy:

Soupy
10-09-2004, 02:37 AM
Quality, all and all it looks nice, but I think it is missing something. I think the Tree needs to be replaced. Do you do tree work, or lawn care? Is the sign company doing the design? I had my truck designed by a designer, then took it to the sign company. The sign company is going to try to get you to go with what is easy on him. Look at this thread (first post)http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61616 . I paid $110 for this design, but I also got letterhead, envelopes, business card, sign for trailer, and lawn sign design with it. I paid $350 to have it put on my truck. If you want the contact let me know.

2k1yzfr1
10-09-2004, 03:39 AM
When they did mine they lettered right over the fuel doors as if they weren't there.

Soupy
10-09-2004, 04:00 AM
When they did mine they lettered right over the fuel doors as if they weren't there.

I thought it was lame that the sign company said they couldn't letter over the door. Until I seen that the doors were not smooth. I still think that maybe the sign company is suggesting the easiest method for him. At that cost, he should be willing to put some work into it.

qualitylandscaping
10-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Soupy,

Thats an awesome design, the only problem is, that would cost me over $1,500 here.. It's hard for me to justify $1500 for lettering when I may not even get a call from it..

I'm getting ready to scrap the whole idea and just have the truck lettered for $300..

economiclawncare
10-09-2004, 11:06 AM
i dont like it at all. But if you going to go with it atleast go bigger.

MMLawn
10-09-2004, 12:01 PM
he told me he couldn't vinyl over fuel doors... I told him to space it out more so he could work around them.. And on the right side, he didn't want to cover the human door.

Steve, that is a Crock on his part. Of course he can vinyl over the fuel doors (and even the human door even if it is uneven) I have had it done countless times when having vehicles and trailers marked. But that involves more work for him in hand cutting and trimming vs. him just slapping up on a plain side. Also the reason the Non-Door side is so off center is because all he has done was cut a template for the Door side and then just used that same template for the non-door side because he is being cheap and lazy to make the most money he can. Also I know there are differences in prices depending on where you are in the country esp the North vs. the South but here that job would cost me $300-$400.

Get him to just cut you the lettering and then you put it up. It is easy to do as long as you use a soapy solution, line it up straight when starting and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Wells
10-09-2004, 01:11 PM
I agree that you should keep it simple...
I pass trailers all the time and believe there are three simple mistakes that people make when lettering their trailers.
The first is to much lettering, their trailers have lettering all over them and I cant begin to read it all, let alone try and find the phone number and company name in all that mess.
The second is lettering size, If I cant read your company name and phone number as your trailer passes me by then your lettering isn't doing much good.
The third item would be color and font. Light colored lettering on a white trailer is hard on the eyes and a complex font can be tough to read.
Thats just my own opinion.

I think that your trailer looks great; great colors and font, good lettering heights, and just enough info.

Price does seem a bit high though. I believe I had my done for around $250.00 installed.

Here's a pic of my lettering.

Runner
10-10-2004, 01:16 AM
If I may add,... also, it is WELL known in marketing that when you have your company name, you should always have what you do as part of your name...i.e. Wells Lawn Care.
Steve, on yours, you have this as part of your name, which is great, but on your signage, you can't really make it out when the trailer is on a roll. If you can't read it, it's worthless to even be there. All I see is Quality. Quality what? Plumbing and heating? Carpentery? DEFINITELY, the lawncare and Landscape Management should be in bigger letters for visibility. Make it appear as if you're PROUD of what you do! The way it looks, it's almost as if there is a shy, or apprehensiveness as a handwriting analysis would percieve it. PUT IT OUT THERE!!!!!!!!

Also, I think that it is just great - the advice that MMLawn gave on the vinyl lettering. It's so neat when members are experts in other fields and are able to offer assistance and advice on these sort of things.