PDA

View Full Version : points used correctly

odin
10-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Mac and i were discussing this and we both agree the points would be a good idea if

1 both positive and negative's are made known to the receiver of them

2 No off topic posts included for points

Mac will chime in with more sugestions .

Turf Medic
10-08-2004, 08:53 PM
The biggest problem with the points as I see it, is that the points need to be based on the subject and value of the post not the poster. Just because a person is well liked or is disliked has no bearing on the value of the information contained in the post. I really don't see how you could even begin to regulate that, JMO.

Maybe there is a way to keep both camps happy, if the software will allow it let members decide if they want to be a part of the reputation plan or not. The people that decide to be a part of it could get and recieve reputation points and their value would be posted. Those that opt out of the reputation would not be allowed to recieve or give points, this would have to be a decision that would be permanent, or have a period of maybe 30 days each year where anyone could change their option.

fcl01
10-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Jack, maybe make it so you have to earn the right to give/take points. as it is now, people with no knowledge of anything can ding anyone they want.

i say take the ten guys with the most points right now and let them do the dingin around here. then, when someone earns lets say 30 points, they then graduate to dingers.

that way, if you dont contribute to the site in a positive way, youll never be a dinger

also, every member could be put on probation. if they dont get their 30 points in six months ban them from posting 30 days and then their probation starts over

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 09:06 PM
We could all be given a number of negative points to use per month IE 5 would you want to use those points because you found the post was a little disturbing to your point of view or would you rather wait and not use them at all or use them on something that you strongly disagreed with. This would stop the popularity contest as its been called

qualitylandscaping
10-08-2004, 09:10 PM
stuff like this annoys me..

New feature: user reput... 10-05-2004 04:43 PM ding-ding-ding! GEO lol--I sign mine! lol!

negative with no reason.. Just dinged me to pi$$ me off.. :dizzy:

dvmcmrhp52
10-08-2004, 09:14 PM
I have an Idea............................scary, isn't it ?.................
Why don't we move on ?
Do reputation points make this a better site by creating popularity contests?
Will people with good quality posts, such as jim lewis who doesn't post often have the reputation they deserve?
Do "professionals" need to know who is the most popular on the board?
Will this make posting on this site more professional?
Newbees don't typically use the search function,will they use the "reputation" function to educate themselves on members?
Do the regulars on this site need to tell each other how much they like each other by giving away "friendly" reputation points?
Do I need to continue on with this post??????????

Let's face it, this whole thing is NOT about who is posting the best information, this IS about who is likable and who is not.
Is this the direction that professionals ought to be going?
Me thinks not.
Points.............no points...........who cares? It doesn't change what goes on here.............that needs to come from the members themselves................

:confused:

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 09:22 PM

New feature: user reput... 10-05-2004 04:43 PM ding-ding-ding! GEO lol--I sign mine! lol!

Well my suggestion would eliminate that, or you keeping your mouth shut would also accomplish the same thing. Since I have no way of making you shut up that leaves the points system with out it we still have to listen to al your BS with out any reproach at least with it I can let you know how I feel about your post.

Mac

Brandyanna
10-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Unfortunity a lot of negative points get spread around on based personality and closed minded thinking. You have the clueless dinging real good info because they think otherwise or that is not how something is done in their area.

Brandyanna
10-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Perfect example Olderthandirt and Qualitylandscaping above.

Avery
10-08-2004, 09:30 PM
There is no way to ensure they are used correctly. Both good and bad can be given out without any sound basis. Just for the simple fact the user wants to give them out. I still see no merit to the system. I base a persons worth on my experience with their past posts. Not the color or number of boxes in their threads or what other people think about them. I like to form my own opinions.

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Perfect example Olderthandirt and Qualitylandscaping above.
No dings were given out so it can't be a perfect example its a disagreement, If I only had 5 points a month I would not be wasting them on him. :dizzy:

olderthandirt
10-08-2004, 09:51 PM
There is no way to ensure they are used correctly. Both good and bad can be given out without any sound basis. Just for the simple fact the user wants to give them out. I still see no merit to the system. I base a persons worth on my experience with their past posts. Not the color or number of boxes in their threads or what other people think about them. I like to form my own opinions.
Avery your a smart man but there is one flaw in all that you said. Go back to where I said we get for example 5 votes a months well you form all your opinions and thats the way it should be. But you have some kid come on and argue with all the ways you run your business and then he says that any woman that names her kid Avery is a jerk or worst, [just an exanple] Would it not be nice to give him some negative points so other members have an idea of what there dealing with?

Mac

Avery
10-09-2004, 12:26 AM
I see your point Mac. But those of us that have been around and who's opinion I value would know what kind of person he/she is without the points. Suppose that same kid came on here and used all his dings (however many they may have) against you for no good reason. Say later on another new user signs up. Well respected in his area, in business for many years but new to the site. He sees your low reputation but he is not aware how you got it. You really want a system with this type of inherent flaw? I do not think it is fair for us to be able to judge other users via a point system. JMO though.

olderthandirt
10-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Good point, but I would hope that I could build up the points that I lost by giving good solid helpful info to other members.

Mac

Turf Medic
10-09-2004, 12:41 AM
It's back to the same idea when people don't want to take time to do a search. Invest some time, make an effort don't expect the information or the value of the post be spoon fed to you. Make your own decision, be a student not a follower.

If I see a post that I think may have some merit or value in my business, I will do a search of the person posting, I read some of that member's other posts and the responses they have recieved, then I can decide if that member's opinion has some value.

If you limit the negatives and you limit the positives, will that give a true picture of the member's credibility. The points are also based on the number of posts in your post count, so if you go around posting "that's what I'm talkin about" or "thats a bunch of bs" get your post count up and and the same time increase your reputation points by placing a few well informed posts. This would then display that you are a person of great wisdom and worth listening to.

geogunn
10-09-2004, 01:55 AM

quality--I have the feeling you are the kind of guy that would complain if you were hung with a new rope.

you complained that a guy dinged you with out signing his name.

and you complained that I dinged you...and I signed my name.

DUDE! WHICH WAY DO YOU WANT IT???

blindfolded or like a man?

GEO aims to please.

GEO :waving:

Evan528
10-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Where do you find a members reputation???? Maybe I am slow but I cant seem to figure it out! :dizzy:

Soupy
10-09-2004, 02:23 AM

We all know you don't like the point system (I don't blame you). But, you post your dings and cry about them, you never show the post that got you the ding. How do we know geogunn's ding was not a worthy ding? Asking you if you like the point system would be like asking an inmate on death row if he agrees with the death penalty.

This should be a wake up call to you, to straighten up.

Soupy
10-09-2004, 02:27 AM
I also think that some people are thinking that a blue square is a ding. I have seen were people think they got ding for a good post. Maybe it is because they got a blue square, which means the person giving the point didn't have any points to give. But it still shows up in your user cp.

Did that make any since? :dizzy:

Precision
10-09-2004, 09:03 AM
I find that I only look at a persons reputation when I have just read a stupid comment.

Some people are not exactly the fount of knowledge that they think they are (Quality). Others seem to have a grasp of what is going on ODIN, GEO, and tons of others. But I know this from reading many of their posts not from what color their square is.

I have been dinged once. For a reasonable post on how to bid HUD clean up work. Price it just under what code enforcement charges. That is what it is worth. Any less and you don't want it cause it is damaging your machines too much for the money.

Some one dinged me cause if you do that you will never get the business. Well duh. I made $40 but did $80 worth of damage to my ZTR. Who wants that kind of business. Now if you got paid $240 it was worth it, Maybe.

I like the idea of limiting the ability to give reputation points to people who have gathered a positive reputation, or someone who has been a member for 3 months, or someone with 100 posts or something. But bottom line is be your own judge of who is an idiot and who is helpful.

geogunn
10-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Asking you if you like the point system would be like asking an inmate on death row if he agrees with the death penalty.

OMG--this is so true! and funny besides! love point for you man!

GEO :)

Brandyanna
10-09-2004, 10:46 AM
No dings were given out so it can't be a perfect example its a disagreement, If I only had 5 points a month I would not be wasting them on him. :dizzy:

No, someone dinged me for expressing a opinion on a subject that has nothing to do with my knowlege or lack of it in this industry. Like I said it's a personality contest, what a waste.

Brandyanna
10-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SA;

20 pages of replies and thousands of viewings of this thread...wow

I am going to get rid of the rating system on Monday. I have read enough and did not think it would create such a whirlwind of controversy. Unless there is an overwhelming response to keep the feature, it should be gone by the beginning of the week.

Great call Sean!

geogunn
10-09-2004, 02:58 PM
why can't people participate in reputation if they want to and those that don't get over it?

it is just like the new forum format. I don't think anyone liked it but me. now no one is carping about the new format.

I like being able to say atta boy/girl.

GEO

DLCS
10-09-2004, 04:05 PM
why can't people participate in reputation if they want to and those that don't get over it?

it is just like the new forum format. I don't think anyone liked it but me. now no one is carping about the new format.

I like being able to say atta boy/girl.

GEO

I think we should keep things the way they are right now.

Soupy
10-10-2004, 06:00 AM
I also think the point system is nice for people to get a feel for how they are perceived on lawnsite. Take Quality for example, he probably never realized everyone thought he was out of line. Now he knows, it is a tool for him to watch what he says. So even if it is just a popularity contest, so what. I sure would like to know if everyone hated my post's.

I bet Quality's post will be much better from now on. I can already see an improvement in the quality (pun intended) of his post.

So, even if it is flawed as a way of telling if a person has knowledge, it does have a use.

Just my $0.02

fcl01
10-10-2004, 12:04 PM
heres another thought,
let just the moderators do the dingin.
im sure they can be fair in their decisions. and it wouldnt be like nobody else would have an opinion on who gets dinged for what. heres what i mean:
so-n-so says something stupid, other so-n-so dont think its appropriate. well, other so-n-so clicks "report this post to a moderator" and then the moderator can decide if it deserves a ding. only thing is, the moderator would have to somehow make their decision publicly so they dont have 100 people reporting the same post over and over again

any thoughts?

Dan