PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Question

bob
10-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I know that I'm suppose to drain the tank on my air compressor after each use. This gets to be a pain, reaching underneath the 30 gallon vertical tank, to open the drain. In Harbor Freight, I saw an "Automatic Compressor Drain Kit". Has anyone ever used one? It looks like there are no electrical parts, so how does it know when to drain itself?

williamjordan84
10-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Hello, On air tanks on transport trucks have a valve on them that has a cord to pull. Just pull it a couple of times and the moisture gets out. They aren't to expensive. Just go to any truck shop and ask for a (i think) drain valve. Hope this might help you.

William Jordan

lawnman_scott
10-08-2004, 10:09 PM
You have to drain it so you dont get condensation. So if your not painting with it, do it whenever, not every time.

Four C. Landscaping
10-09-2004, 05:55 PM
You should always drain the tank painting or not because rust can start in the tank and then blow small frags through the hoses clogging the lines in the air gun.Then painting would be out of the question as well.I think the item you want is a collector they have a glass bowl where the condensation collects and a small release valve at the bottom.This should screw into the plug hole at the bottom of your compressor.

tonygreek
10-09-2004, 06:07 PM
I just attach a blower nozzle to mine that has the trigger rubber-banded and let it drain on it's own.

out4now
10-09-2004, 06:15 PM
I used to work in an automotive shop. We did repairs not painting and we had a seperator/regulator/oil injector setup on ours. We'd drain the tank only once a week durring high humidity because we just didn't have the time.

Turf Medic
10-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I know that I'm suppose to drain the tank on my air compressor after each use. This gets to be a pain, reaching underneath the 30 gallon vertical tank, to open the drain. In Harbor Freight, I saw an "Automatic Compressor Drain Kit". Has anyone ever used one? It looks like there are no electrical parts, so how does it know when to drain itself?

Used to sell air compressors, you need to drain them at least once a week, daily is better. The automatic drain kit might be referring to one like we used to sell, it was set up so that the air that you hear bleeding off when the compressor stops would be diverted to a valve that would allow the tank to blow off some water. You don't need to totally drain the tank, just crack the valve open long enough to get the majority of the water out of the tank. The drain valve doesn't have to be on the bottom of the tank, works a little better there, but you can plumb with 1/4 inch tubing from the hole in the bottom of the tank to a place that is more accessible, wouldn't put it up by your head, but knee high won't really affect the draining operation.