PDA

View Full Version : Demographical Data By Neighborhood?

A Perfect Shine
10-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Does anybody know where I can get free or at least cheep demographical data by neighborhood, or more specifically, census block or census block group?

Basically what I want to know is "Which are the rich neighborhoods?"

I made a few calls today and found that I might just be able to get a few reports run for a few hundred dollars. But I'm thinking if the first guy I called quited me that price, I may be able to get this information for much cheeper or free.

I'm implementing a rather large marketing campaign coming up here soon where I'm sending my extra employees out to advertise by putting up flyers in neighborhoods, I want to know where to send them. I spent all day today driving around scouting areas, very tedious so thats not gonna work.

-Chris

Littleriver1
10-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Try US Goverment Census. Try your State Gov. and County Gov.

DLS1
10-09-2004, 08:50 AM
Thats pretty easy. The subdivisions with the expensive houses are the rich areas. :) :) :)

LwnmwrMan22
10-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Thats pretty easy. The subdivisions with the expensive houses are the rich areas. :) :) :)

Yep, just drive around, take notes of street names. It's pretty easy to tell.

Mark McC
10-09-2004, 01:43 PM
That kind of data is available by zip code, I think. I'd try the public library first.

phenomenomm
10-09-2004, 06:31 PM
http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/

Hope this helps

Turf Medic
10-09-2004, 09:27 PM
If doing it by zip code is close enough go to http://www.city-data.com/

A Perfect Shine
10-10-2004, 02:07 AM
I have done a lot of driving around, it is not efficient, especially for the large area that I do. I am sending out a few employees a day to do this.

Zip code is not small enough. I really need the information by "Census Block."

For those of you interested:
I found the information on the census web site in map form by Census Block Group for free. I am going to call Monday and see about getting it by Census Block. I think I might have to pay a little for some software or to get a report run, but I don't think it will be more than a couple hundred dollars.

-Chris

jerryrwm
10-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Check and see if your county has a GIS map maker program. These things are awesome. They will give you all the information up to and including who the owner is, the mailing address, the lot size, house size, and it will even generate a mailing list.

Check in the County Tax Assessor web-site.

Mark McC
11-21-2004, 02:18 PM
I have done a lot of driving around, it is not efficient, especially for the large area that I do. I am sending out a few employees a day to do this.

Zip code is not small enough. I really need the information by "Census Block."

For those of you interested:
I found the information on the census web site in map form by Census Block Group for free. I am going to call Monday and see about getting it by Census Block. I think I might have to pay a little for some software or to get a report run, but I don't think it will be more than a couple hundred dollars.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

Had any luck getting census block data for free?

LLCO
11-21-2004, 03:58 PM
www.census.gov

Click on American Fact Finder
Click on Data Sets
Click on Detailed Tables
Select Geographic Type "block"
From there you can go to town..
It appears you will need to know the Census Tracts but there has to be a secret decoder ring somewhere online.

There is a map it function if you are not sure where they are..

If you can find it summarized somewhere for free... please pass it along..