NC Scaper
10-09-2004, 02:49 AM
First before and after

NC Scaper
10-09-2004, 02:52 AM
Second ones

qualitylandscaping
10-09-2004, 11:09 AM
You did a nice job but it looks plain and all of the plants are the same.. No real focal point used and no color to accent the house...

Looks good but too simple for me.. Nice work anyway :waving:

Frosty_03
10-09-2004, 03:14 PM
The over feature of the house is 100% better, some tall plants for a focal point would have been better, but once again the house looks way better :cool2:

NC Scaper
10-09-2004, 04:13 PM
OK well anyhow let me be plain, customer got exactly what he wanted. If the customer is happy then I guess I have to be too. There are 352 houses in this development and I was told to do what the house owner wanted for for a price of $500 on each one, so now that I have cleared that up I will leave each of you to add all that up. Next time I will just throw a bird bath in the next yard and post the pics and see if that a good focal point for u. By the way he is still undecided on the other plants he wants to use. Yea i guess all that money is too simple too but oh well.

mexiking
10-09-2004, 06:14 PM
You cut the grass
Put those little plants and mulch... nice

drsogr
10-10-2004, 08:04 PM
OK well anyhow let me be plain, customer got exactly what he wanted. If the customer is happy then I guess I have to be too. There are 352 houses in this development and I was told to do what the house owner wanted for for a price of $500 on each one, so now that I have cleared that up I will leave each of you to add all that up. Next time I will just throw a bird bath in the next yard and post the pics and see if that a good focal point for u. By the way he is still undecided on the other plants he wants to use. Yea i guess all that money is too simple too but oh well.

Wow I can't wait for the 257th version of this! LOL $500 dollars won't get you very far....what kind of development is this? I would definitely say that this is a step up from the trailer house you did last time. Anyway great work for what you got paid. $500 dollars...you get what you pay for.

bobbygedd
10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
wow, i need a raise

tiedeman
10-12-2004, 04:39 AM
nice work nc

GardenofWeeden
10-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Not sure if I would have paid that much, but liriope is good for accent but I would have insisted on a variety of shrubs or something.. Focal point is important, but if that is what they paid for and wanted...not sure if I would have posted those on here without assuming some ribbing was going to be in order..
Break up the space by using the structure of the house as a guide. Tall spaces in the background need taller plants. Entrance ways and some window areas will focus attention on that point of view so you contrast plants from higher to lower in height and even with color to bring a focal point to whatever area you are trying to bring out.

Expert Lawns
10-13-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't do much landscaping, but seems like those plants (hostas?) are a little close to the edge

YardPro
11-14-2004, 10:56 AM
lol
guess you DON't do much. they are loriape and they are a border plant that's supposed of be close to the edge..

cleancutccl
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Aren't they variegated lilitrope grass? But yes they are a border plant because they only grow about a foot tall at the highest.

sheshovel
11-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Well,I think you did an OK job,minimum is the best I will say,Now-you are lowballing and selling yourself too cheap.What for example are you going to do if the next neighbor wants 5-15 gallon trees and evergreen shrubs throughout?Are you under contract to provide WHAT THE Home owner WANTS for only $500.00 Labor and materials??You may be letting yourself in for a big loss.Also,If I can't do it so it looks good,goes with the home,AND makes the hmnwr happy,I walk -because in doing all thease homes you are building a reputation that can follow you around for years.All their visitors to the homes,80% are going to ask'Who did your landscaping?"Then in the car on the way home they'll say"remind me not to call that guy,no imagination,boring."My point being,even if you have to go against their instructions on how to do your work / design your work, you do whatever it takes to make those houses look as great as possible within that buget or more.You have a wonderfull chance to make a lasting good name for yourself here.Take advantage of it and don't get too caught up in( the" Customer wanted This syndrome")nobody will know that but you and the cust,the rest will think that's your decisions they are viewing.Now add that future amount up.

Expert Lawns
11-15-2004, 03:19 PM
"I don't do much landscaping....." That was my disclaimer.

They could have been Sequoia Trees for all I know

cleancutccl
11-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Most of the time a customer will call up one of us professional installers and really have no idea what they want. Talk to them, hear their ideas, and then elaborate. Sell your ideas back to them, if we all did exactly what the customer wanted we would all be broke. Use image software to show the customer pictures of what their house could look like, if the person can see it they usually like it and then will spring for a bigger job. Like sheshovel said, always try to do more because it is your name on the job.

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-15-2004, 10:14 PM
If that's what the homeower wanted, he got his moneys worth. Good luck with the rest of the development. Good Job!!!

kootoomootoo
11-20-2004, 12:52 AM
I think my wife could have done better with $500.00 .....she wouldnt have posted the pic! but she would have bragged about the 350 or so houses at $500ea. Since when has a homeowner ever known what to do. Every 2nd house I go to I hear ........I want one of those "umbrella trees" ...O you mean a
weeping cherry. I straight out tell them they look like sh.it. Dont know about you guys but I'd like $100 for every 5 gal weeping cherry I see planted and sometimes still in the pot!

olderthandirt
11-20-2004, 01:08 AM
WTF you expect to get for $500! The home owner was lucky to get any mulch for that price. Get a buget of 2k and you can do a lot more. Good luck with the rest if there all $500 jobs, that don't give you a big choice for selection if you want to make a small real small profit.

Mac

kootoomootoo
11-20-2004, 10:30 AM
C'mon mac.......you wouldnt be posting this pic if you wanted gratification.

olderthandirt
11-20-2004, 11:05 AM
C'mon mac.......you wouldnt be posting this pic if you wanted gratification.
True, but $500 dont buy sh!t for materials and let you make a profit payup
If he makes $200 profit on each house and there are 350 homes its only 70k and its gonna take alot of time to do all those homes. I think it would be smarter for him and be more profitable to be spending the time doing fewer jobs with a higher profit margin. Gratification comes from $$$$$$$$$$$ and sex, and I don't think sex is invovled in this prodject JMO

Mac

fga
11-20-2004, 12:14 PM
WTF you expect to get for $500! The home owner was lucky to get any mulch for that price. Get a buget of 2k and you can do a lot more. Good luck with the rest if there all $500 jobs, that don't give you a big choice for selection if you want to make a small real small profit.

Mac
what he said...

500 dollars is nothing! he worked with what was alotted to him. i think he did a great job for the situation. as long as the customer is happy and you turned a fair profit, great. i think its harder to put a job together on a tight budget, takes alittle more createtivity.

Remsen1
11-20-2004, 01:16 PM
I for one will say that it looks a HELL of a lot better than the "before" pics. :)

kootoomootoo
11-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Is it just me .......................I thought the reason for the pics were to "show off". My point is there is nothing to show off........... Better if you said I had a lousy $500 to spend what do you guys think of what I did with it and what could I do differently with it. We all have jobs where our creativity is screwed by the budget but I suggest posting with a footnote.

YardPro
11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
"I don't do much landscaping....." That was my disclaimer.

They could have been Sequoia Trees for all I know

sorry, i forggot the smilie, i was just ribbing ya.
rereading it, it does sound crappy. sorry

Expert Lawns
11-20-2004, 05:39 PM
it's all good. i figured you were just giving me a hard time. bush, tree, plant, flower...they're all the same to me

John P.
11-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Looks better than what was there. 500 bucks is alot to mow the lawn, put some mulch, and plant some flowers.

kootoomootoo
11-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Looks like 2 yds of mulch and 15 liriope ..........$100 max in materials.

MMLawn
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I am not saying that you are not and if you are you are good to go, but judging by the price and the work I must wonder, so just in case you aren't or didn't know. You MUST be Licensed by the North Carolina Landscape Contractors Board to do landscaping for hire in North Carolina. This is a special seperate Licensing board from any State/City/County Licenses and as I said it is a State Board with educational and testing requirements. Doing this type of work without being so Licensed by them is a violation of State Law.

If you are not so licensed you can find the website link on the State of North Carolina site under Licensing boards and would for sure want to stop any further landscaping until you are. You are okay on just the lawn care part of the business without the landscaping license. If I can assist you I have personally known the board director for many years.

Johnny
11-23-2004, 04:11 PM
You guys are brutal. I see a nice profit there. In the spring hit them for another $1000 to finish the front off. Then in the fall do the back and the sides. I can see the potential for large $$'s.

dmbmikee
08-28-2005, 09:07 PM
You used the black plastic lawn mower feed....AHHHHHH

Otherwise, looks nice and simple.

sheshovel
08-28-2005, 10:24 PM
You used the black plastic lawn mower feed....AHHHHHH

Otherwise, looks nice and simple.

dmbmikee,this thread is almost a year old,kinda late for an answer dontcha think?