PDA

View Full Version : Ferris Anyone????????????

John Gamba
10-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Hows this for 05???

Is4500Z Will feature front wheel IS Independent suspension (With rear wheel Active Performance Suspension). Model Options Are 61" deck With your choice Of a 27 CAT Diesel Or a 35HP Briggs Air cooled engine. also the mower has a new style look to it to.

I think its time to look at the NEW Ferris with the 35HP Briggs and a suspension system you will cut faster and be more comfortable doing it.
John

Travis Followell
10-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Definately sounds like its worth looking into if the price is right and you have a lot of mowing to do. I am going to demo one with a 27 hp kohler and 61" deck with 4 wheel suspension in March or April of next year and am also going to demo a JD 777 with a 60" 7 Iron deck. I will probibly be buying one of the two.

John Gamba
10-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Definately sounds like its worth looking into if the price is right and you have a lot of mowing to do. I am going to demo one with a 27 hp kohler and 61" deck with 4 wheel suspension in March or April of next year and am also going to demo a JD 777 with a 60" 7 Iron deck. I will probibly be buying one of the two.

If you can demo the Ferris First. Please let us know how they did.
John

all ferris
10-09-2004, 01:45 PM
How can I do a field test for the ferris company and let them know my thought on their mower? I have a 4000IS with a 31hp dihatsu and I love it. I do need to replaced my old procut z with a new 61". I wish I could put one through a season and give my thoughts.

rodfather
10-09-2004, 01:54 PM
How can I do a field test for the ferris company and let them know my thought on their mower? I have a 4000IS with a 31hp dihatsu and I love it. I do need to replaced my old procut z with a new 61". I wish I could put one through a season and give my thoughts.

Find out who Ferris's Distributor is in your state. I forget their name, but I believe they are somewhere in the Chicago area. And they are either the largest or the 2nd largest distributor for Ferris that I know. Your Ferris dealer can give you their name.

As more demoing equipment, I was fortunate enough to demo the 32" WB prototype and the IS5000 ZTR a couple of years ago before they came out on the market. My company mows for the Ferris distributor here in NJ for the Northeast and I am also fortunate to be high school friends with the president.

Like they say, it's who ya know, not what ya know...good luck too btw.

eclawn
10-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Thats not it for ferris, they are also adding a 500z.That is realy neet with rear suspesion and pivoting front axle available in 19/42, 21/48, and25/52 all kawasaki engines w/remote air filters,at realy good prices. but the 4500 is awsome, I drove one it is super smooth,deck lifts easier and has neet adjuster. what also impressed me was there new spindles, cast iron housing w/ 10.5'' base, timken rollerbearings and greasable.also to correct John the 35hp briggs will be liq. cooled

John Gamba
10-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Thats not it for ferris, they are also adding a 500z.That is realy neet with rear suspesion and pivoting front axle available in 19/42, 21/48, and25/52 all kawasaki engines w/remote air filters,at realy good prices. but the 4500 is awsome, I drove one it is super smooth,deck lifts easier and has neet adjuster. what also impressed me was there new spindles, cast iron housing w/ 10.5'' base, timken rollerbearings and greasable.also to correct John the 35hp briggs will be liq. cooled

I just found out about the liquid cooled :dizzy: But i'm sure interested in the four wheel IS on the new 52/23 500 :cool2:. I'm going to see when i can demo one Monday.
John

eclawn
10-09-2004, 06:57 PM
John most likely wont be available until april, unless your dealer was having his rep. bring one by to show him.You can see picture of it on Ferris web. site,under new products.also your dealer should be getting a few peices of lit. that shows the new unit and improvments on the 3000z.

jajwrigh
10-09-2004, 08:03 PM
John-

I haven't read many of your posts in awhile...are you through with exmark products? What ever happenned with all of that?

ScCo
10-10-2004, 04:45 AM
I have a limited amount of time on an IS5000z.

We have a great dealer for ferris here in my area, and he is constantly asking if he can bring machines out for me to demo. He really wants our business and is very confident in the ferris machines. I also like the fact that if you buy a ferris from him you are never without a machine when you have a breakdown or even just routine maintenance do (if you don't maintenance machines yourself).

Anyhow, the 5000 impressed me a lot with how smoothly it ran through tall, thick growth. The deck left a pretty nice finished cut after one pass, even in our nice transition zone, thick, tough, hard to cut stuff that takes many mowers double cutting to get a decent end result.

The ride is quite nice. My Super Z has a suspension seat which helps a lot, but it is nothing compared to the full IS of the Ferris. The suspension on the ferris also allows the deck to maintain a more level cutting plane at higher speeds across rougher terrain as the deck isn't getting bounced around like it does on a rigid frame machine. It is almost crazy how much faster I was able to cut on some of my properties simply because the machine didn't bounce around and have the deck slamming up and down like it would if you cut at such a speed with a rigid framed machine.

I am glad to see above where someone said the deck lifts easier, as lifting the deck on the 5000 that I demo'd was indeed a chore. That of course isn't a big deal, but just something that would be a good improvement to the machine.

The only other thing on the machine I didn't care for was how dampened the levers were. That's just one of those things though. Some people like it, some don't.

Fact is that the ferris products and dealer here locally have my attention. I will definitely be looking at them for my future purposes, primarily because of the dealer's reputation for breaking his back to help any of his customer's who need it, and also because I have been impressed with the machines. He quoted me $7900 for a 27hp Kohler, 61" deck, IS3000zx which seems like a really good price to me. The IS5000z he quoted at $13,300 which is a good deal too. I'd be curious to see where the new machines fall into the lineup.

Hopefully there's something in the above ramblings that is a bit useful to you,

ScCo

John Gamba
10-10-2004, 07:28 AM
John-

I haven't read many of your posts in awhile...are you through with exmark products? What ever happenned with all of that?

No ijust got a lazer HP BUT i'm seeing alot of nice stuff from Hustler and Now Ferris.
I was told awhile ago that the IS works well on the bigger Ferris's. I would like to see how it is on the smaller ones.

John

John Gamba
10-10-2004, 07:31 AM
John most likely wont be available until april, unless your dealer was having his rep. bring one by to show him.You can see picture of it on Ferris web. site,under new products.also your dealer should be getting a few peices of lit. that shows the new unit and improvments on the 3000z.

I know it will be awhile But I just want to get my foot in the door (so to speak) on a early demo. Its a VERY SMALL dealer but i think it will work out .I'll let you know what i find out :angel:
John

John Gamba
10-10-2004, 07:32 AM
I have a limited amount of time on an IS5000z.

We have a great dealer for ferris here in my area, and he is constantly asking if he can bring machines out for me to demo. He really wants our business and is very confident in the ferris machines. I also like the fact that if you buy a ferris from him you are never without a machine when you have a breakdown or even just routine maintenance do (if you don't maintenance machines yourself).

Anyhow, the 5000 impressed me a lot with how smoothly it ran through tall, thick growth. The deck left a pretty nice finished cut after one pass, even in our nice transition zone, thick, tough, hard to cut stuff that takes many mowers double cutting to get a decent end result.

The ride is quite nice. My Super Z has a suspension seat which helps a lot, but it is nothing compared to the full IS of the Ferris. The suspension on the ferris also allows the deck to maintain a more level cutting plane at higher speeds across rougher terrain as the deck isn't getting bounced around like it does on a rigid frame machine. It is almost crazy how much faster I was able to cut on some of my properties simply because the machine didn't bounce around and have the deck slamming up and down like it would if you cut at such a speed with a rigid framed machine.

I am glad to see above where someone said the deck lifts easier, as lifting the deck on the 5000 that I demo'd was indeed a chore. That of course isn't a big deal, but just something that would be a good improvement to the machine.

The only other thing on the machine I didn't care for was how dampened the levers were. That's just one of those things though. Some people like it, some don't.

Fact is that the ferris products and dealer here locally have my attention. I will definitely be looking at them for my future purposes, primarily because of the dealer's reputation for breaking his back to help any of his customer's who need it, and also because I have been impressed with the machines. He quoted me $7900 for a 27hp Kohler, 61" deck, IS3000zx which seems like a really good price to me. The IS5000z he quoted at $13,300 which is a good deal too. I'd be curious to see where the new machines fall into the lineup.

Hopefully there's something in the above ramblings that is a bit useful to you,

ScCo

Any info is useful. Thank You John

D&R
10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
We tested the IS3000 at the Louisville Expo and we walked away wishing we had purchased that machine vs. our 60" Laser. The suspension worked superbly. I would guess it reduced bumps by at least 80%. When it comes time to add or replace we will go with a 4 wheel IS model. Sorry eXmark, but my back is tired at the end of the year.

LwnmwrMan22
10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
John -

I've been running Ferris now for 2 years, (2) IS4000. 27 hp Kohler, 61" deck.

The serial numbers are 221 and 432 respectively, so you know they're low end on the totem pole.

Anyways, first Ferris I had, wouldn't throw the grass out worth a crap, even dry, so they eventually redesigned the deck, and shipped one to me free of charge. However I was on the hook for replacing the spindles, belts, wheels, etc. My dealer knows how much I spend there, so they ate the cost on that.

The next problem I've got, the suspension loosened up, got soft, however you want to say it at about 1000 hours on my first one, earlier this spring. I never did get it back to where I could cut full bore without the suspension bottoming out, and therefore dropping the deck down and cutting at an angle.

Both of them, the starters are / were out, the dealers never have been able to fix it.

I just use a screw driver now and "hotwire" them.

I will tell you though, if you're looking to save your back after mowing ANYTHING, even residential yards, you'll NEVER have a better ride than the "IS".

If you look at the deck, they're pretty shallow, or at least mine were, so they don't stripe the greatest.

All in all, if you run their "eliminator" blades, the "curvy mulching gator - type" blades, it does surprisingly well in wet heavy grass.

I will buy another one, but I'm going to wait until at least next year, maybe the year after for them to work out some more bugs.

Jeremy

John Gamba
10-13-2004, 07:32 AM
John -

I've been running Ferris now for 2 years, (2) IS4000. 27 hp Kohler, 61" deck.

The serial numbers are 221 and 432 respectively, so you know they're low end on the totem pole.

Anyways, first Ferris I had, wouldn't throw the grass out worth a crap, even dry, so they eventually redesigned the deck, and shipped one to me free of charge. However I was on the hook for replacing the spindles, belts, wheels, etc. My dealer knows how much I spend there, so they ate the cost on that.

The next problem I've got, the suspension loosened up, got soft, however you want to say it at about 1000 hours on my first one, earlier this spring. I never did get it back to where I could cut full bore without the suspension bottoming out, and therefore dropping the deck down and cutting at an angle.

Both of them, the starters are / were out, the dealers never have been able to fix it.

I just use a screw driver now and "hotwire" them.

I will tell you though, if you're looking to save your back after mowing ANYTHING, even residential yards, you'll NEVER have a better ride than the "IS".

If you look at the deck, they're pretty shallow, or at least mine were, so they don't stripe the greatest.

All in all, if you run their "eliminator" blades, the "curvy mulching gator - type" blades, it does surprisingly well in wet heavy grass.

I will buy another one, but I'm going to wait until at least next year, maybe the year after for them to work out some more bugs.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy
Ive been waiting for them to perfect the suspension and deck. It looks like they are close. It seems like they are in it for the long haul.

John