PDA

View Full Version : Is this mower worth saveing?

Four C. Landscaping
10-09-2004, 05:03 PM
I was at our local dump and and found this little gem just sitting there ready to be trashed.It is a Ransoms Bob Cat 48" 12 1/2 HP.I couldest let that happen so I got some help and loaded it into my truck.After closer inspection at home I drained about a half gallon of orange water from the oil drain and more from the spark plug hole.The engine turns and has compression.I have a 36" Ransoms Bob Cat and it has a 12 1/2 Kawi. on it so my question is do I make the swap or rebuild the the 48" hoping the motor isn't to bad.

tiedeman
10-09-2004, 05:17 PM
try to rebuild it with the engine on it, the 12 1/2 HP I feel would not be enough for the 48" cut

Tharrell
10-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Let's see a picture if possible. If it's in reasonable shape, you could put an engine on it. Even if the deck is messed up it would make an awesome power spreader.

geogunn
10-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I think it is worth doing at least something with.

you got a big ZERO $$$ in it right now and that gives you some room to play!

GEO

rodfather
10-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Underpowered IMO at 12.5...use at least a 15 hp engine (preferably 17 or 18). Good Luck with it.

out4now
10-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Like already mentioned, you have zero in it. Just repalce motor with something bigger. As Tim Taylor says, "More power, OH,OH,OH!"

Four C. Landscaping
10-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Here is a pic of the mower that I finally figured how to send.

Brandyanna
10-09-2004, 10:30 PM
No way would I throw good money after bad even though you haven't spent any yet. You have got to figure that whoever threw this away knew the WHOLE picture.

Pecker
10-09-2004, 10:34 PM
It might be worth a shot if it had all its parts, but you'll spend more on parts alone than you would to get a decent used wb. That's where they get ya. The manufacturer wants you to buy a new one, not salvage a junker. But who knows, maybe it hasn't seen its day after all. GL

grass_cuttin_fool
10-09-2004, 10:46 PM
If the engine had rusty water in it, there is a chance some one was cleaning up an estate and it had been sitting and just cleaned out a shed and got rid of everything. I have seen that here often, parents die and the kids come in maybe from another state or hours away and just load everything they dont want and away to the dumpster they go.
I would invest in some marvel mystery oil and a fresh oil change and see what happens, the engine may not last long but you dont have anything in it so I would take a chance and see, might make a good winter project

Runner
10-09-2004, 11:56 PM
You can get all the parts for that through J.Thomas and STILL only have a few hundred bucks into it. This is excluding the cost of the motor of course, but so what. It looks like a good winter project, to me. Someone else on here just had one much like that to re-do during the winter. I wish the BOTH of you good luck.

Soupy
10-10-2004, 12:14 AM
The deck looks like it is in good shape (no damage, just rust), you might need to replace some pulleys, possibly some spindles. I would see if you can get it running first. Once you have it running, break out the green paint and give it a fresh look. I think you can get a 15hp Kawi for under $600, but like someone mentioned, you would be better off just finding a used walk behind for a $1000 or less.

If you can get ir running, you could put a spreader, or snow blade on it too.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Shooot... I'd give it the ol' once over, all over... then check the tranny... maybe fiddle with the engine and see if it can be coaxed into running, ect. If it the motor and the rest is OK, I'd put it back for a winter project... surf the trade papers for an engine or engine doaner, ect and put it together. Why not?

After all, there are plenty of dirt cheap lawn tractors out there with great low hour doaner engines, ect...

Jusmowin
10-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Im with Envy and Runner, looks like a great winter project. Although I would strip most everything off of that unit and get it sandblasted, primmed and painted before I started addind new parts to it. So basicly if you only spend $1000 to $1500 thats pretty good for a almost new mower . I would also check around a few local mower dealers for a new or newer(low hours) motor and if that doesnt work theres always ebay!

green_man
10-10-2004, 06:35 PM
well, I salvaged a 48" exmark from the town dump. greased a sticking valve, put on new filters, belts, blades, front wheels and yokes (< $200) and have been cutting half a dozen accounts with it since april. I say give 'er a shot.

btw mower has a 12.5 kawi and it's plenty of power. that's original equipment a few years ago.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 06:44 PM
;) I think I should go to the dump more often ;)

bob
10-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Take it back to the dump!

proenterprises
10-10-2004, 08:47 PM
i would see if the engine runs first off. if it does, then work up from their. if the engine is shot, it may not be worth the time, unless you can find a good doner.

Travis Followell
10-10-2004, 11:02 PM
I think it is definately worth spending a little money on but give it a good going over first. If the engine has compression and everthing is there then you should be able to get it running. If you could get it running and working good then you could sand the old paint off and paint it and have a pretty good mower.

skmodmsl
10-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I think it is worth a shot. Wish I could find a mower like that in the dump. Work on the engine first and see if it will run. Then go from there. Don't worry about the 12.5 not having enough power. I run an old Snapper 48 with a Kawi 12.5. I have yet to bog it down in high grass.

Remsen1
10-11-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm with grass cutting fool... I would spend some free time trying to get her up and running. After I had done all I could without spending any money, then I would access the value of what I have and estimate (be generous) how much it will cost to make it complete. Then estimate how much use I could get out of it and make all my decisions from there. I'm the kind of guy who takes a tired machine and squeezes the last little bit of life out of it.