PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 60" mulching ztr mower?

mrgreeninc
10-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm looking into buying a 60" ztr mower for mulching and possibly bagging. What is the best mulching 60" ztr available?

JR

jajwrigh
10-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the site! I have no answer to your question, but I noticed you first post...

Mico Landscaping design
10-09-2004, 09:08 PM
LOOK AROUND EXMARK nobody else does it better :) thats my choice payup

ToroMaster
10-09-2004, 09:47 PM
You can't beat a toro. just look at the golf courses and county mowers. Most of them are toro. you can get a 60" Z for exactly $8,000.

Mycannon
10-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Exmark my vote

havok1359
10-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Hands down Exmark...Exmark...Exmark

imograss
10-09-2004, 11:53 PM
I get great results, running double blades and an OCDC on my Hustler Super Z.

MisterLandscape
10-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Best Mower? Well, step into my dealership and we are going to tell you its one of the 2 brands we sell of course =) Ask a commercial cutter and he will say its what he runs and likes.

I get asked this all of the time and my reply is who makes the best trucks? ford, chevy, dodge, toyota ect... Everyone has a favorite but there really isnt a way to prove one is better than the other becasue its so subjective.

Build quality wise I'd say MOST of the mowers on the market are very comparable. Most of the components are from the same manufacturers. Hydo pump and motors are usually hydro hear, parker, eaton or white; blade clutches warner or ogura, tires carisle or kendra and the list goes on. Almost every commercial Z has a gas cap made by the same exact company (they look a little different per brand specs but the same compnay makes them for everyone) seats are like this too most Zs use the same brand seat.

So quality wise I'd say they are pretty much the same as far as the components go. Features and design wise is the big difference. All the parts are the same but how they work together and are arranged is big diiference. Whats good for one operator might not be good for another. Each brand has special features that you might find worthwile.

The number 1 consideration in my opinion as both a dealer and commercial cutter in buying equipment is who are you buying it from. The equipment is only 50% of the deal--you are really buying service, dealer knowledge and parts availibility. For example we are the only dealer in our area to have a written loaner mower policy for our commercial customers. Thats huge if your unit is down. Every area of the county has different brands of machines that are really popular in that area.

It might be that a certain brand is stonger in an area becaue of the dealer selling it or where the main distributor is based. (closer to the parts source the quicker they come to the dealer)

So I know everyone here is proud of their yellow or green or red or whatever machine they have but really look at who you are buying it from and how they will treat you when the machine breaks (and yes it WILL break at some point everything mechanical will at some point)

Case in point: in our area certain machines are popular some arnt even sold. A man came into my dealerhsip with brand X machine. Good machine and lots of folks raving about it here on lawn site. Problem for him the closest dealer was almost 2 hours away...the reason folks here dont use the isnt because they arnt good but you just cant get parts or service. We called the dealer for him and got his parts UPS to us and are fixing it. He moved here so now hes thinking about buying somthing (hopefully from us =) that can be serviced.

Sorry this was so long but really look at what you can get serviced.

Steve

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 02:25 AM
OK... I'll subsribe to this one... I'd like to know myself.

Just so I'm sure here... we are talking fully baffled mulch kit mulching right? Not side discharge chopping fine... right?

mrgreeninc
10-10-2004, 03:12 AM
I'm asking about mulching with baffles in and whatever blade setup works best. Double....Single....Gator...Meg-Mo?

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Cool... the definately count me in on this one!!!!

Based on my knowledge of what works really well on smaller decks, if I had to guess or recommend, I'd have to give the 'nod' to eXmark so far or maybe Toro's mulch kit for the Turbo Force Deck. I haven't even seen the kits for most other MFG's and my guess is, not too many LCO's have even tried mulching with 60's.

Soupy
10-10-2004, 05:26 AM
Hustler has a very good Mulch kit with anti-blowout baffle. I only put mine on in the fall, but it makes the leaves disappear. I use a OCDC the rest of the year and there is no comparison when it comes to true mulching.

procut
10-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I've had very good luck mulching with my Toro Z Master.

Tonyr
10-12-2004, 06:07 PM
I have a 60'' Toro Turbo Force deck, the mulch kit is an excellent mulcher, the kit has 'kickers' as well...

It is a "bigish" job to install/uninstal...not something you would do daily.

As far as how good the kit works....excellent!

whether I run mulching blades or high lifts with the kit, result is always great. :drinkup:

Branchland
10-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Love my Hustler Super Z. But did like the Scag also when I was demoing them.