PDA

View Full Version : Timing of winterizer in Raleigh,NC

HazyDavy
10-10-2004, 12:01 PM
When is a good time to put winterizer down in Raleigh,NC? I basically have been using organic ferts(Alfalfa pellets, and most recently Espoma Organic Lawn fertilizer). I put down the Espoma in late september, and planned another application in late october. I was thinking it would be a good time to put down winterizer in mid-late november. Does that sound about right? Do I even need the winterizer? I believe the Espoma is 18-6-8, or 18-8-6.

Thanks for your input.

Hamons
10-10-2004, 01:59 PM
When using organics -- put the product down earlier than sysnthetics. Organic require active soil activity to breakdown and cold soil temps will prevent this.

timturf
10-12-2004, 08:46 AM
what type of grass? cool or warm? generally a winterizer fert contains a higher % of k than most fert's

HazyDavy
10-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Cool(at this point mostly Plantation Fescue). Do I need it, or just continue with the organics? If I do need it, does mid-late November sound kosher?

timturf
10-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I would think that cool season turf in your area is under more stress in summer months than winter months, so adequate k and fe would be needed to help with the stress!

AlpineNaturescapes
10-13-2004, 02:10 AM
Don't need another fert. May increase the chance of snow mold. Like another pointed out -- too cold to release the N anyway.

HazyDavy
10-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Sounds like I don't need a winterizer. Last evening I noticed how much greener my lawn is than my neighbor's. It's like night and day. Of course the organics I'm using has iron in it. ;o)

SystemXpert
11-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Depends. As I understand it, the reason you winterize fescue is too feed the roots during the winter so it will be ready for spring and do better in the summer. Your in NC, might be able to get away with using an organic winterizer in November. Soil temps are still in the 50s.

The question isn't how your lawn looks now, its how you want it to look in the spring. A green lawn now is the result of your Sept & Oct Feedings. If you winterize your feeding your lawn for the spring.

SystemXpert

HazyDavy
11-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, I've been going pretty heavy on the organic fertilizers this fall. My lawn is very green. Actually it looks better then the guy who has sod across the street. I figure if I keep it well fertilized in the fall(with organics) that I won't have to worry about a "winterizer". I plan 1 more organic application in a couple of weeks.

I do like to put down CGM in the spring. That would be my only spring fertilizer application.