PDA

View Full Version : Truck Flat Bed

ealbertson
10-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I will be needing a flat bed for my Ford F250 for next year. I will probably build it myself. The reason I am doing it is to carry a 60" Turf Tracer. I have an 18' dual wheel trailer which is full. My plan is to make it as low as possibe so it won't be that hard loading\unloading the mower. At this point, it looks like I will make a folding ramp for the drivers side. The bottom part of the ramp will double as the bed side and ramp. The folding top part will just hang there until I pull it out to load\unload the mower. I am planning on using 1\8" diamond plate for the bed as I believe it is lighter than a wood bed would be more versatile for welding things to etc. I haven't started this project yet so I would appreciate any suggestions\advice you may have. Also, any detailed pictures I can get ideas from would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

out4now
10-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Let me see if I understand this. You want to put stuff from inside the trailer now onto the flatbed so you can put mower in trailer? Or other way around? The ramp you would need would have to be really long to make not so steep an angle to get a mower on the flatbed. I would go with the fromer idea, easier, cheaper. Spend extra money to install hydrallic bed so you can put a leaf/chipper box on for fall. Diamond plate will be heavy and raise your weight at the dump scale so I wouldn't use it. Put sheet metal over wood or just go with a set up that saves some weight.

ducky1
10-10-2004, 06:48 PM
How about building a ramp onto the front of the trailer that will fold down level with the truck bed. That way you can just drive your mower onto the trailer and right up onto your truck bed. Works for us.

pjslawncare/landscap
10-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi Ed, Sound like a neat project, I love fabricating. I put a flatbed on my F-250 with a hydaulik hoist. I dont see how you can make it very low profile unless u put a dove tail on it, but then u would have to load & unload off back & that would such. You can find a used lift gate pritty cheap and rig it to the side. May have to make the platform a little bigger but it can be done

stevesmowing
10-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I wish I had enough equiptment to fill a 18' trailer and still need more space.