PDA

View Full Version : Mantis or Stihl??? Mini-tillers

drsogr
10-10-2004, 07:40 PM
I am looking for a mini-tiller. I have heard that Mantis and Stihl both make good ones. My question is, who is better? My dealer carries the Stihl one, so I know I could get parts for it. Is their someone better than Mantis or Stihl. I am looking to use it for bed maintance and using it for places where the tractor can't get to when doing sod jobs. Any help would be appreciated!

ed2hess
10-10-2004, 07:43 PM
I think Echo cost less. We have had one for several years and it has not had any problem. We only use it for commericial flower beds. It is almost the same as Mantis

drsogr
10-10-2004, 07:47 PM
I think Echo cost less. We have had one for several years and it has not had any problem. We only use it for commericial flower beds. It is almost the same as Mantis

My dealer also carries Echo. I heard that they carried a better warranty..is that true?

Itsgottobegreen
10-10-2004, 09:04 PM
I got a mantis and love mine. Mine takes a beating. Like every other product little wonder makes, it will run circles around anything else.

EJK2352
10-10-2004, 09:09 PM
A Mantis w/ a 4-stroke Honda can't be beat.

drsogr
10-10-2004, 09:15 PM
A Mantis w/ a 4-stroke Honda can't be beat.

How much do they cost?

General Grounds
10-10-2004, 09:27 PM
:blob3: i own 2 stihls and i think the were $360 each i use them for scratching up bare spots on lawns, works awesome. tony

Lux Lawn
10-10-2004, 09:34 PM
I got a Matis in the spring and love it.

EJK2352
10-10-2004, 09:47 PM
How much do they cost?
The Mantis 2-stroke is $284. The 4-stroke is $345 at Power Equipment Warehouse. www.power41.com

battags
10-10-2004, 10:01 PM
How often are you planning on using it?

I'm asking because I was in the market to buy a mini cultivator last spring. After comparing all the $$ and options, I went with a Stihl KM85 (Kombi split shaft system) I purchased the cultivator attachment and now only have one power head to maintain which I can use for trimming and edging as well.

If you need a more dedicated machine and do a lot of cultivating in small areas, I'd say that a specific mini cultivator would be best. However, if you only plan on using it occasionally, consider the Kombi.

Anything Stihl......you CANT go wrong!!!

Brian

brinlee lawn
10-10-2004, 10:34 PM
love the mantis

drsogr
10-10-2004, 10:42 PM
The Mantis 2-stroke is $284. The 4-stroke is $345 at Power Equipment Warehouse. www.power41.com

Thanks, I will check it out.

drsogr
10-10-2004, 10:47 PM
How often are you planning on using it?

I'm asking because I was in the market to buy a mini cultivator last spring. After comparing all the $$ and options, I went with a Stihl KM85 (Kombi split shaft system) I purchased the cultivator attachment and now only have one power head to maintain which I can use for trimming and edging as well.

If you need a more dedicated machine and do a lot of cultivating in small areas, I'd say that a specific mini cultivator would be best. However, if you only plan on using it occasionally, consider the Kombi.

Anything Stihl......you CANT go wrong!!!

Brian

I will be using it about once a week. I am not sold on the split shaft set up yet. I like having a dedicated machine for each thing. If I want to sell it, its not part of a set up, if it breaks down, its only one machine that breaks down. Maybe I am crazy, I just haven't seen a spilt shaft setup that I have been crazy about yet. If was going to go with one though, it would definitely be stihl.

mowdini
10-10-2004, 11:01 PM
The Mantis tiller is an animal in flower beds etc. I used it this spring to dig up a small garden area for a customer and couldn't believe how well it performed digging up a grassy area.

greasy_gun
10-11-2004, 12:17 AM
mantis 4 stroke honda here......
rascal takes a beating n keeps on diggin..
use mine mainly for setting small trees.

Lbilawncare
10-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I bought the gearbox cultivator for a Stihl 110, works great. The Kombi-system is faster to interchange, but if it breaks down you're screwed.

olderthandirt
10-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Have all 3 the mantis is the best at working the hard pack ground where the tractor can't get. The stihl feels so much better on the hands and shoulders than the mantis if used for awhile. And the gearbox cultivator for a Stihl 110, works great in flower beds to turn mulch and shallow tilling as you do not have all the weight of the machine pushing it down.

Mac

vipermanz
10-11-2004, 04:14 AM
the mantis will destroy the soil!!, i love using mine. it dug up and split a brick in a bed i was working on

geogunn
10-11-2004, 06:13 AM
this is a great thread. I have been looking at mini tillers myself.

GEO :)

Travis Followell
10-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Your best bet would be to go with a Stihl or Echo tiller.

drsogr
10-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Wow thanks guys for all of the opinions. It sounds like I couldn't go wrong with any of them. I am leaning towards the Mantis, I think it would have the best resale if I ever sold it. Does anyone know how hard it is to get Mantis parts? Has anyone had problems with them breaking down? What kind of warranty do they have?

fcl01
10-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Wow thanks guys for all of the opinions. It sounds like I couldn't go wrong with any of them. I am leaning towards the Mantis, I think it would have the best resale if I ever sold it. Does anyone know how hard it is to get Mantis parts? Has anyone had problems with them breaking down? What kind of warranty do they have?

its not hard at all. at least in this area. both of the stihl dealers we work with also carry the mantis. weve only had two probs. with the mantis, broken handle(shipped right to the shop in 3 days) and broken tines(same deal).FYI, both of my stihl dealers recommend the mantis. the stihl is by far a more comfortable machine to use but since the power unit is so far back from the gearbox, theres not enough digging power. and the RPM's are alot less than the mantis

P.S. just dont get the honda cultivator. had one of those too and IMO its a big POS! first the gearbox went then the engine.

Dan

Ground Effects NH
10-11-2004, 10:22 AM

I have had my Mantis 3+ yr's now. Never had any problems with it at all.
We do large flower beds and it really fluffs the soil for annual planting. Also have the edger attachment, Don't use it much but it work's O.K.