PDA

View Full Version : Caring for new Kawasaki?

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 08:03 PM
OK guys, I have a new Kawasaki V-twin, w/standard air cleaner, only 4 hours logged so far. Any advice, tips, tricks for break in, adjustments and long term service?

So far all I've done is keep a close eye on the oil, crank it, reduce throttle and let it warm up at a lower RPM (hate unitized choke/throttle). Kick on the blades, crank it to full throttle and go mowing. I haven't even checked the default adjustments... nothing.

Fareway Lawncare
10-10-2004, 08:27 PM
That filter collects dirt Like a Monster...Tap it Daily...I also use a Touch of oil on the Foam...Me Bad.

pjslawncare/landscap
10-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Change your oil & filter pritty soon to remove break in oil. I thing air filter is of dry precleaner, if not, make sure to oil lightly so yur not sucking up a bunch of dust. Every thing else should be fine, its got hydraulic lifters and full throttle governed speed should be fine. Someone more familiar with Kaws may help if I missed anything. Good luck with her

dcondon
10-10-2004, 08:40 PM
That filter collects dirt Like a Monster...Tap it Daily...I also use a Touch of oil on the Foam...Me Bad.

yup.... Air filter is one of the big things on a Kaw. Ours plugs up all the time during clean-ups

jimslawns
10-10-2004, 08:49 PM
I would change the oil at 5-10 hrs, then run to about 25hrs and switch to synthetic oil of your choice. Then 50hr oil and filter services.

good luck

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah, I've been considering upgrading it to a canister type filter. I've only used it 4 hours. But so far it's stayed clean.

I found it odd that the manual says NOT to oil the pre-cleaner. I was thinking of spraying it very lightly with an aerosol oil. But Someone told me they are too dense to oil. But I see that some of you are oiling them lightly.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim,

I was thinking of trying Mobil 1 10w30 in this engine, maybe. I knew you were supposed to log some hours and wait to change to synthetic, allowing time for the rings to seat, ect. So 25 hours is long enough to wait?

riches139
10-10-2004, 09:04 PM
I've run Mobil1 10w30 from 5 hours on.

Runs great, no noticable oil consumption.

More and more new vehicles coming from factory with synthetic.
Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. :drinkup:

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 09:17 PM
I guess 25 hours is way plenty then.

On a side note, does your Tank have the crew boss hour meter? The one that displays engine RPM when running? If so, could you check your manual and get me a part #?

dwost
10-10-2004, 09:20 PM
I've been running Mobil 1 and Valvoline 10w30 from 5 hours on and no issues at all. I run full syn in all my equipment, cars, boat, etc.....

EJK2352
10-10-2004, 09:25 PM
What kind of equipment is this Kawasaki engine powering??? My dealers Kohler rep. told me to log at least 200 hrs. before switching over to synthetic oil.

Travis Followell
10-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Just keep it serviced regularly according to the maintenance listed in the operators manual. If you do that then that engine should last you many years.

Fareway Lawncare
10-10-2004, 09:40 PM
I dont see why you cant oil the pre-filter... Probably has something to do w/the enviro-nuts....the old kaws said to oil then they changed their mind & said not to oil...on the same pre-filter no less !

a touch of oil keeps the paper cleaner longer...

jim dailey
10-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Go to the dealer, buy a new pre-cleaner in the package, and guess what! It is already oiled. Haven't seen one yet that was dry, new in the package.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Jim,

Really??? The one that came on mine is dry as a bone. I do think pre-oiled pre-filters are a good answer for the MFG. Many people tend to over oil them with very heavy oil. Atleast they get and idea from a new one about how they should be re-oiled after washing.

Fescue Farmer
10-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Envy,

What kind of new mower did you get?

jimslawns
10-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah some folks say to change after you have a few hours logged, I did at 10 hours we've got several hundred on a LC 27HP and no problems. Many of these engines are getting 3K hours on em' or more with no problems (air cooled) Liquid cooled may very well go many more hours. Oh yeah...we use Mobil one synthetic in everything.

riches139
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I guess 25 hours is way plenty then.

On a side note, does your Tank have the crew boss hour meter? The one that displays engine RPM when running? If so, could you check your manual and get me a part #?

Part #01005389

Yes, the crew boss.
This is for Kawasaki only.
Kohler and Honda are different part #'s

Envy Lawn Service
10-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Wow! Thanks... Gotta have one...

MisterLandscape
10-11-2004, 11:39 PM
I would recommend waiting at least 50 hours before changing to anything other than a conventional oil. My service manager agrees.

Change the initial oil and filter between 8-12 hours. Re-fil with 10w30 and do at least 50hr oil and filter changes thereafter. If you want to use something other than conventional oil I would suggest a syn blend, not a full synthetic as there really inst much oil base in a full syn product and in a car for example you have more total quantity in play so full syn is OK. Mower engines do not require full syn anyway. Your better off with more frequent oil changes with conventional oil than longer intervals with a full syn. Also, follow the directions and don't spray the pre cleaner with oil. Remember only to use oil weights that are reccomended by Kawi. should you have a major engine failure the oil, oil filter and air cleaner will likely be sent to the engine manufacturer for analysis before a new engine would be approved under warranty. (kawi is pretty liberal and it seems like everything goes with them and they approve almost everything we ask for but Honda is a *itch about it and analize everything and look for oil additives ect before granting a new engine)

Daneman
10-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Envy,Just make sure you keep the engine clean from debris, especially the screen. You might have to take the plastic shroud off once in a while and clean the grass out from under it. Kawi v-twins are notorious for that and over-heating, which Kaw will of course not cover under warranty. As far as the hour meter that reads as a tach when running. It is a SenDec maintence meter, usually goes for around 30 bucks.

Gravely_Man
10-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Congratulations on the new machine! Just follow everything in the owner’s manual and you will be all set. You must keep up with all of the preventative maintenance.

Gravely_Man

Envy Lawn Service
10-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Daneman,

Yeah, the only real dislike I have about the engine so far is how it loves to suck leaves down on the fan grill. I get them every time I pass under low hanging branches and I never know they are stuck on there until I get off the machine. But I guess that goes to show they have a good strong flowing air cooling system. I just prefer rotating screens and it wouldn't hurt them to convert...

Eric 1
10-13-2004, 10:27 PM
What did you get?

Husky03
10-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Why can't you run full Synthetic from the start? I have heard a lot of people say not to, but no really good reason why not to. Enlighten me :blob3:

MisterLandscape
10-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Full synthetic is too slippery and can keep the rings from seating properly. Some friction is needed to properly seat the rings. Using full syn before the rings are set can cause oil consumption. Conventional oil should be used at least the 1st 50 hours of run time with many people suggesting the 1st 100 hours. I believe that full synthetic oils are a waste of money for not only small engines but all engines in general. If you want to use somthing other than conventional oil, a syn blend is a great compromise as it gives you then benefits of conventional oil coupled with the benefits of synthetic at a much better cost than full syn. Also, many people think becasue they use systhetics they can increase the number of hours between oil and filter changes....this is not the case and the same change schedule should be followed. Steve

Envy Lawn Service
10-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Boy... this thing likes gas! THIRSTY!!!