PDA

View Full Version : Do you know more than your dealer?

mcclureandson
10-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Don't get me wrong...I really like my dealer. He makes time for me when I'm in a bind, he's friendly, he's honest and has yet to steer me wrong on selecting a new piece of gear. I get the feeling he's got it really together when it comes to the lines he sells, service work etc... But I'm curious...he's never heard of running 'doubles', or Meg-mo blades, or the new Stihl backpack blowers that are due out this spring, or how to adjust tire pressure on a zero turn to (-) get better traction on hills or (+) to do less turf damage in the turns, or of Lawnsite etc...it doesn't make me think less of him of course, but the more I learn the more I realize I'm the only person who really cares enough about my business to find out EVERYTHING about EVERYTING. How tuned in to the industry are your guys?

Jusmowin
10-10-2004, 09:37 PM
My dealer is the same way, Im not sure if he is not in to it or what but it sure seems that us on Lawnsite seem to hear the new release stuff before they do!

saw man
10-10-2004, 09:39 PM
They are there to repair and sell their products. About the new Stihl blower coming out - The Rep. may not have told him yet, he may not have gotten a letter on it, etc.
The doubles or Megmo blades, the manufactures he deals with want to sell their own product, nothing else, therefor will not tell him.
About Lawnsite - He probably has had a long day like everyone else and obviously doesnt spend it on the net when he gets home.

Dealers are not out useing the equipment and Reps. do not generally go over tire pressure with them. They talk about new advancements in the product and try to sell them more. That is there job, to sell to the dealers, just like the dealer tries to sell to you.

cantoo
10-10-2004, 10:13 PM
mcclureandson, tell him about the calender girls and maybe he'll stop here once in awhile.

sawman65
10-11-2004, 07:42 AM
hi ya'll i am a dealer,i sell exmark,hustler,Dixie chopper and simplicity.
i try to stay up on all the new tricks and tips i see on here.this has been one of the best sites for this. i like to keep my figure on the pulse of this industry. and as was stated the mower makers don't want us to know about all the other stuff out there. and aside from here i have heard nothing of the new blower from stihl.and deal with stihl direct.i have a rep.
but my orders come from the factory no middle man.
this has got to be one of the best tools a sales man can use. not using it
and knowing it is here is stupid. i need to know what you all are using and
like.what works and what don't.how much you will pay and what you wont.
things like this make this site invaluable to me
i started out in this biz. back in 83.i was a wrench turner till 01 when my salesman walked out and never came back he was a drunk but a he!! of a salesman all the same.since that day i made up my mind to sell mowers & service.not just sell them but have the parts to fix them.all mowers can make a good boat anchor if you cant get them fixed.
just want to thank all of you for making this happen.without it i would feel like a one legged man in a azz kicking contest

JLH
10-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Mcclureandson:

Your comments not only apply to the mower business but also to most any other type of business where different products are available.

I am the type of person who enjoys doing alot of research on most anything I buy, I also enjoy negotiating prices.

I have also have found out from experience that after doing a little research about the product of your interest you will usually know more than the sales people selling the product.

I really enjoy the few times I happen to talk to people who really know their product, these are the type of people I prefer to do business with.

I have bought several new cars at triple net, where I was even given the dealer holdback, blue oval money, and other hidden dealer profits that the majority of auto buyers today don't have a clue of.

You can have a copy of the original dealer invoice in your hand and buy at dealer invoice and the dealer can still be making $1000 to $2000 dollars profit and you walk out out thinking you got a great deal, when you really left alot of money on the table, and the only one that got a great deal was the dealer. There is nothing wrong with the dealer making a profit but I don't believe in them making it all on me. I also don't like deception where I'm told one thing and I know all the time I'm being lied to. If you really want the truth you have to find it for yourself.

I recently purchased a 2005 model vehicle using a fax attack method where I sent a fax to 40 different dealers within a 150 mile radius of my home. I never walked into showroom to make the purchase. I faxed the head sales manager a copy of the specific vehicle I wanted with exact specs. I knew the MSRP and the dealer invoice and all hidden dealer profits which I listed and made them aware that I was not the average car buyer, that I was ready to purchase and would purchase from the lowest bidder.

They respect knowledge and the man who offers me the lowest price makes the sell. I tell them what I want and the rest is up to them, there is no guess work. Out of 40 faxes about 25 responded within 8 hours and the spread from highest bid to lowest was $1200. I purchased the vehicle at $800 dollars below the lowest bid which would be equivelant to $2000 below the highest bid. This is the easiest way to purchase a car I have ever used.

There is a man in Texas who has a service called (Fighting Chance) who sells information that taught me this method, I think the packet of information is $30, to me it's worth $100.

I don't mind spending $30 to save several thousand and also learn principles that can be applied to many other major purchases.

I have found out that you almost never have to pay the asking price for anything.

JLH

The C Man
10-11-2004, 09:54 AM
JLH, that was some interesting reading. I've never heard of Triple Net, please tell us more, or PM me if you'd like.

Gravely_Man
10-11-2004, 12:16 PM
It all depends on the dealer and how much of a hands on person they are. I have some that know a lot more then me and others that don't have a clue on the products they sell.

Gravely_Man

grass_cuttin_fool
10-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Alot of the times I go into my dealer and ask or tell him something new that is out. Well last week the shoe was on the other foot, I was in to pick up some parts for my trimmer and told him that I wish Robin would update the web site cause I want to be sure they are gonna make a light weight trimmer for 2005, if not Im gonna buy another 2004 model. He said not to worry look over head, sure enuff I looked up and there were about 25 new 2005 models just in that day in the box and yes Robin has a very light weight model 2 cycle again for 2005

Travis Followell
10-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I was in my dealer today getting a price on a new Grasshopper 227 midmount. It has a 27 hp engine. The dealer told me they didn't make a 227. He said I was thinking about a 225 with a 25 hp. Well thats funny because he had a 227 with a 27 hp sitting out back brand new and sit in there and told me they didn't make one.

BMFD92
10-11-2004, 10:10 PM
thanx to the lawnsite, I was able to let my dealer know that Redmax was making the 8000. I went in there to ask him when they are getting it and He said there was no such thing until he called Redmax.