PDA

View Full Version : What can a dodge dakota with a v6 pull?

drsogr
10-10-2004, 09:12 PM
I have a 2001 dakota with the v6. Next year I want to move to an enclosed trailer....what size of an enclosed trailer do you guys think I can pull? Anyone with any dakota or smaller truck experience? I am looking at a 5' x 10' or 6' x 10' trailer for now, until I get a bigger truck. Truck is already paid off, and I really don't want to buy another truck at this time. Maybe a couple years from now.

DSIM
10-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I have pulled my enclosed 6x10 trailer with a v6 before in a chevy 1/2 ton and a s-10 zr2 4wd and both pulled it ok. You will feel a little more tug on your truck then you would a 3/4 ton.
The v6's were both a 4.3 200hp.

Firefighter698
10-11-2004, 09:35 PM
I have a 2000 Dakota with the V6 Magnum. I pull a 6'4" X 16' Tandem axle, open trailer. I haul a 61" ZTR, a 36" W/B, 21" push mower, trimmer, edger, blower, hedge clippers all in Trimmer Trap racks, a 48" X 18" X 18" locking tool box full of what I deem necessary tools and supplies, 2 five gal. containers of fuel and a 16' folding ladder. I have no idea what all of this weighs but it is taking it's toll on my truck. It eats disk brake pads and rotors like there is no tomorrow. Acceleration is slow, as expected, but stopping can really be thrilling and that is with electric brakes on one axle of the trailer, I am considering putting brakes on the other axle. When the brakes on the trailer fail, I don't move it till I get them working again. I am in the same boat, I need to wait a while before I can purchase a bigger truck, I'm just not sure that the Dakota will hold up that long. I highly recommend that you have electric brakes installed on the trailer, pulling isn't a problem, stopping is.

UNISCAPER
10-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Dakotas will pull very well. Yes stopping is a problem. Mine had over 800,000 miles on it when I moved, and I gave it to a friend that still drives it.

I could pull a medium sized skidsteer on short runs, the trailer had surge brakes and you did not want to go over 50 with that load at all. It was a fun truck just to play around with.

drsogr
10-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I have a 2000 Dakota with the V6 Magnum. I pull a 6'4" X 16' Tandem axle, open trailer. I haul a 61" ZTR, a 36" W/B, 21" push mower, trimmer, edger, blower, hedge clippers all in Trimmer Trap racks, a 48" X 18" X 18" locking tool box full of what I deem necessary tools and supplies, 2 five gal. containers of fuel and a 16' folding ladder. I have no idea what all of this weighs but it is taking it's toll on my truck. It eats disk brake pads and rotors like there is no tomorrow. Acceleration is slow, as expected, but stopping can really be thrilling and that is with electric brakes on one axle of the trailer, I am considering putting brakes on the other axle. When the brakes on the trailer fail, I don't move it till I get them working again. I am in the same boat, I need to wait a while before I can purchase a bigger truck, I'm just not sure that the Dakota will hold up that long. I highly recommend that you have electric brakes installed on the trailer, pulling isn't a problem, stopping is.

Do you have a problem with the rear end of the truck sagging with all of that weight? That is my biggest concern....I will definitly have brakes on the enclosed trailer. The trailer will probably be 5'x12' or a 6' x 12'

Firefighter698
10-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Yes, the rear sags a little and I have helper springs on it. I load the ZTR (1100 lbs) on the rear, behind the axles of the trailer to take some of the load off the hitch. How you load the trailer will effect how much sag you have.