PDA

View Full Version : Help Quickly

Seanl33
10-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Wich is the better truck F250,Dodge2500,GMC2500HD,Chevy2500HD in need input quickly (or if anyone has one of these do u like it ?)

Smalltimer1
10-11-2004, 12:08 AM
I'd say as of now, the F-250 is the best. The bugs have been worked out of the 6-Liter diesel for a little over a year, the Torqshift auto is awesome, they have the most reliable 4x4 system too, using a lever in the floor and a lever 4x4 selector, as well as the only available manual locking hubs in its class. The Dodges have bad automatics, they are junk. The GMC's use IFS for their 4x4's they tend to sag pretty bad under load. Ford and Dodge still use a solid axle, but now with coil springs for an improved turning radius and higher payload. The '05 F-series have the highest available payload as well, 5800lbs. and 17,000lbs. conventional trailer towing capacity.

Seanl33
10-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks I was looking at dodge a lot but now i will start to look at ford thank u

kc2006
10-11-2004, 11:29 AM
I own a f250 now but my next truck will be a 2500hd. Nothing against ford, its been a good truck and I'll keep it for a couple more years but the new duramax is kicking butt and I've always been a diehard chevy guy, not a thing wrong with their trucks. Ford or chevy in my opinion is the best, seen too much go wrong with dodges in the past.

Metro Lawn
10-12-2004, 01:40 AM
The question was kind of vague. There are many things to consider with all of these trucks. What engine, trans, ect. We use Dodge as a rule, except for 1 Chevy we picked up in a buy out. If Dodge is so bad as everyone makes them out to be, then why are our 6 80's era Dodges still working everyday with almost no trouble. I still drive a 1989 3/4 ton Dodge myself, and would put it up against anything else out there.

Smalltimer1
10-12-2004, 12:08 PM
When we bought a new Ram about 10 years ago and the transmission died within the first month, and Dodge voided our warranty--that really turned us (everybody on the farm) against Dodge trucks, had to use Lemon Law on it to get them to buy it back. If we do have one, its because someone has loaned money for it, and usually they don't come back to pick it up or default on the loan, so we sell em as fast as we can, don't wanna get stuck with a hunk'a junk.

kc2006
10-12-2004, 01:19 PM
When i say the problems with dodge i mean the 96 and up, they are pure crap, i agree your 80's era ones are good stuff, all the older trucks were work horses. I just dislike the new ones, seen too many fuel and brake system problems along with engine/trans problems

Smalltimer1
10-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I do agree, the pre-94 Dodges look better and are much more truck than the newer ones. The only thing I'd be leary of is overloading those trucks. The frames only have 3 crossmembers and are very small at that.

Seanl33
10-12-2004, 10:33 PM
WOW after reading some of the things said about dodge i will never own a dodge but here is my new question to all you guys that own the F250's about what do you get for gas millage? the reason i am asking is i saw this F250 that was a V10 - 6.8L If anybody has anything close to this please tell me how many miles you get per gallon

Thanks Sean

Smalltimer1
10-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Mine with the 460 gets about 11-12 mpg empty, 9-10 loaded. The V-10 does slightly better at 13 unloaded and about 9-10 loaded.

lwngrl1
10-13-2004, 09:09 PM
What's that saying,, want a truck to work, buy a Ford, want a truck drive to price a job, buy a Chevy. (something like that)

I use a 96 F350 disiel with a 9' Fisher on it, and i have to say the thing is great.. Had it since it was new, and just last year, finally had to have a tranny redone.

They really can push snow, handle a full load of sand, and best of all (being im a chick), have really great heat...

The dealership here is really great too. When I blew reverse last year, during a storm, they got me in and running in four days... :)

Metro Lawn
10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Out of my Dodge plow trucks (2) 1988, (3) 1989 (1) 1991 I have never had to replace a trans yet. I did lose a converter once. The last trans I replaced was in a 1976 Plymouth Trailduster that I bought with a bad trans. My best advice is stay away from any trans with an overdrive, they are junk. As far as overloading... We have V boxes in 3 of them and we fill them up 2 feet over the top with salt and have never hurt one. I have nothing against Ford or Chevy trucks, it's just that the Dodge has held up better and made us a ton of money.

myoder
10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I'll vote for the GMC 2500 HD, I have an 03' D/A and absolutely love it and have had no problems with it... just my 2 cents

UNISCAPER
10-14-2004, 12:01 AM
The Dodge trucks in the years you own use a 727 Torqeflight tranny. The only weak link in those was reverse gear. We could buckle them up to a 426cubic inch Hemi pushing 485 HP, stand on it and smoke a set of 15" wide dragmasters all season long.

They never should have switched to that computer crap they run now. At present, rigth next to Ford, Dodge has the weakest transmission in the industry.

Smalltimer1
10-14-2004, 01:00 AM
I keep emphasizing that the new Torqshift (5R110) is NOT the E40D or 4R100 you try to tie it in with. They are 2 completely different designs. The trucks I've driven with the Torqshifts make the old E40D's and 4R100's seem like lawnmower transmissions. However, if I was real serious about putting power to the ground, for pure horsepower, I'd stick with the good ol' C6, nothing electronic.

The big point I want to make about the E40D and 4R100 is that they were trannies designed to be put behind GAS engines. When first conceived, diesels were in their infancy of power, the 7.3 in 1989 when the E40D was first introduced only had 170hp/345lb. tq. (20hp less than a 5.0 gasser, but about 50lb. tq. more). The E40D can handle a 460--my truck proves that. The PSD and 460 made close to the same power at the end of the 460's reign in 1997 (PSD 235hp/490 tq. 460 V-8 245hp/420 tq.), what killed those E40D's was the PSD's low end torque. The 460 has an almost identical power band to the early PSD's, which in 95, after the E40D was beefed up some (we don't know how much beef), but those did fare better than the 89-94 ones. The 4R100 was a better attempt at it, and handled the 99-00 PSD fine, because it was meant for that power range. Once the PSD exceeded ths 4R100's range, thats when they started going to crap, plus people modding the heck outta their PSD's didn't help much either.

The Torqshift covers the new 6-Liter PSD power range great. It's rated for something like 620 lb. tq., it is a tranny specifically designed for a DIESEL engine, and can handle a conservative amount of mods. What's even better is that they're making it work for the Triton gas engines too for '05. So unless someone is really modding out their V-10, we should almost NEVER hear of a TS failure behind the V-10 and never behind the 5.4L V-8 unless it was just plain operator stupidity error.

The GM/Allisons have experienced solenoid problems, and when you compare specs, the Torqshift is a stronger tranny than the Allison, with less problems, from firsthand experience I can tell you this. The GM Duramax Allison stuff is kind of a parts bin kind of truck. They have a diesel engine, and a diesel based tranny. GM thinks it's only right to put them together. Logically it makes sense, however, practically, it may bite them back.

When Ford released the 6-Liter diesel and the TS, they designed them together, as one operating unit. That is why they work together so well, and outperform the Dodge and the GM counterparts in pulloffs.

The Dodge 47RE and 48RE's lack the internal guts to be considered a serious transmission for a diesel.

Pikrite
10-14-2004, 12:52 PM
My advice on selecting a truck, Sean is look around. Don't go off advice of people on the other side of the country. I mean it's helpful, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor in an investment that big. Look at your dealerships sales and service departments they are a huge part of successful ownership. We use all three makes and our dodge dealership has the best service in our area (even though we haven't used it for awhile trucks are all out of warranty) which keeps us satisfied. Just curious what kind of truck do you own now?

Seanl33
10-16-2004, 03:32 PM
I own a F150 1998 base 4.6L and having troubles like brakes and water pump so i asked u guys for some advice

craglawnmanor
10-16-2004, 07:52 PM
We've got a 2000 Excursion w/ a V-10 that my wife usually drives. It gets about 12 mpg (going downhill, with a tailwind :dizzy: ). But it is often loaded up w/ some combination of our six kids [we didn't buy it for it's gas mileage!!].
My wife's sister (who owns a farm) has a Chevy 2500HD w/ the Duramax and Allison transmission. The Allison trans has been to the dealer three times (that I know of) w/ problems.

BMFD92
10-18-2004, 09:03 AM
my 04 chevy silverado ls is the awesome. I use a ford for plowing and it has held up well but i like the chevy a lot better