PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my Walker model C from 16 to 18hp?

tonym10
10-11-2004, 12:47 PM
My walker model C , just used for my own lawn, recently had something bad happen to the 16hp kohler engine. The rear of the mower went up in the air as I was going down a hill , when the rear wheel hit the ground the engine instantly started to run rough, I turned it off, would not restart, next day replaved plugs and got it started , but oil started to leak out at front cylinder and a few gasgets, it was really leaking and smoking from the gaskets. SO I am guessing the engine is shot, the cyclinder that had the leaks also had the tip of the spark plug bent when I removed it, so i do not know if the cyclinder hit the plug. ANyway the Walker will pick it up today, either way I am sure it will be expensive, should I just upgrade it the 18hp engine they have available for this model, and does any know how much this will cost?

SOMM
10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
For comparison: The V-Twin Kawasaki 17 hp OHV is The Only 17hp worth it's salt in our business. I have seen more of these model Kaw's in successful operation at 3300rpm's, beyond 5 years after their original installation - than any other engine of this class. Maybe a $45 recoil rope/spring assembly, or a $95 solid state solenoid goes bad in any 5 year span, a time-proven workhorse!

Kohler's are better engines in their longevity when at OHV V-Twin 25hp or more.

Compared to any other engine in this class, the V-Twin Kawasaki 17hp OHV is THE Choice under-20-hp engine, due to its size and weight(hardly more than most 15/16 hp's, consistency of power under all weather conditions for 5+ YEARS of Duration when maintained at oil changes at every 50 hours, oil filter changes at every 100 hours (Kawasaki Brand Only - thrice the filtration of any aftermarket filter), and always use winter fuel stabilizer. Indoor Storage goes without saying.

Good luck andd hope this helps,
-Somm

tonym10
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
This Walker had only 150 hours on it .

BMFD92
10-11-2004, 01:49 PM
what size deck do you use?

tonym10
10-11-2004, 02:06 PM
42" deck ghs

ztrlvr
10-11-2004, 02:23 PM
what year is it?

tonym10
10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
It is a 98.

ztrlvr
10-11-2004, 02:44 PM
It is out of warranty then. There was a bulletin to replace engine if it had less than 600 hrs AND was less than 3 years old. I would suggest contacting Kohler. If they would help with engine cost, due to low hours, then get a hold of your Walker dealer and check on the cost of the kit for 18 HP conversion. My MC has had the conversion and it works great. Hope this helps.

tonym10
10-11-2004, 06:23 PM
I guess my question is really about the cost to fix this, it will not be cheap to fix the engine if it is fixable. So is it worth the exense of fixing this engine and still having the 16hp, or should I spend the additional money and get the new 18hp engine? Is there a big differance between these two engines in design, is the 18 a better engine. I only use this about 25 hours / year for my own 1 acre, but I would like it to last for another 10 years. Everything else about this mower is like new except the engine :angry: . SHould Kohler or Walker help out with this being it only had 150 hours, although 6 years old.
I would hate to spend money to fix this now and have the same thing happen in the future.
They havnt picked the mower up yet, so it isnt diagnosed yet, but I did ask what the cost would be to put a new 18hp kohler in it, they said about $2500.

MOW ED
10-12-2004, 08:40 AM
I will tell you that I had a 98 Walker with a 25hp Kohler in it and it was junk. I had ring problems at 100 hours and from there everything went bad.
I had much frustration with that issue but I contacted Walker directly and I recieved some monetary assistance from Mr. Walker himself.

I would get busy writing a letter to the company. They are very reasonable people and want the little guy to succeed. I am very pleased with the way I was treated and after I sold that 25HP Walker I bought a 26EFI that has basically been bulletproof. I'm not bashing Kohler but that 25hp series had some issues, thats all I'll say.

I'd upgrade if I were you but contact Walker first.

ztrlvr
10-12-2004, 09:22 AM
The 18 HP engine is basically a "detuned" 20 horse from what I understand. And as far as i know the 20 horse is very reliable

tonym10
10-15-2004, 12:09 PM
The diagnosis on my engine is that a mouse made a home in the fan area of the engine , causing the to get no air flow. So no kohler help. No home owners ins help because I have a no verment clause in my insurance. Mouse cost me $1500 :realmad: