PDA

View Full Version : Florida Lawn question

lawn guy
10-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi all
I live in central Florida and Was wondering how much others are charging per cut, trim and edge. Currently I get around $12 for a average 60X100 and $15 for corner lots. Also when hiring a employee ( to trim and edge mosty) what is a good per hour rate?

Fantasy Lawns
10-11-2004, 02:48 PM
It's really not a matter of how much per yard ..... it's how much time it takes .... how much my cost are per hour n than how much do I need to make a living

Latter as one grows ... adds equip n workers than it also becomes how much extra to charge to create profit

Fore me ..... yards which are .25 acre is a min of $70 per month (which is $20 per cut) for wide open not much beds or such .... time frame is 20-25 min

With such a low rate ... you really only have a job n not gaining the $$ needed to create a business .... later you'll realize that as you gain more work that your gonna need to charge more $$ to cover unexpected cost (equip failure n replace)

To start at such a low rate is one thing .... but come next spring get it up to a cost of living n don't think "I'll lose all my customers" ..... NOT true those customers whom insist on such a low rate are scum .... they'll drop someone in a heart beat for a cheap price

The GOOD customer realizes the quality of dependable work n will pay more fore it .... the rate needs to be realistic true .....but not that just above what a kid with a push mower charges

oh Ya ..... Welcome to the site .... n best of luck .... hang in there .... do good work .... do what you say n say what you do .... the customers will come too you thru word of mouth

biglawndog
10-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Lawn Guy,
$12 seems way to low. How long does it take you? In south Fl that lawn would be a MINIMUM of $20. And thats with hardly any edging and not much weedeating. Do yourself a favor and raise your price,your in this to make money not do charity work.

chambers 38
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
30$$ and up for good cuts here

DennisF
10-11-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm in Citrus County about 40 miles north of you. In Port Richie you should be able to get $20 for a 60X100 lot. I don't think $12 would even cover costs on most lawns. The rates down here are low, but I think you can get more. Most of the lawns I do here in Citrus are 100X120 ( 1/4 acre ) and I charge $22-$25 depending on the trimming and edging involved. Most of the legitmate LCO's in this area are priced about the same as me. There are a lot of illegal grass cutters around that are charging as little as $10 for a mow and blow and these are the people that are keeping the pricing down.

lawn guy
10-11-2004, 08:10 PM
I admit $12 seams low to me but in my area we have nothing but old peaple I dont think they will pay much more than that. I mow by myself and mow about 2-3 lawns an hour. I would like to charge more but the competition here is tough. I recently stoped at a lawn that looked like it needed cutting and tried to make a sale, I told the man $12 and he said his guy charges $10 and that he was comming that day to cut the lawn. Am I missing something? By the way This is my first season but I have 2001 dodge truck and a new trailer so its not because im showing up like Im desperate for money or That I would'nt do a good job but When I pitch $15 I dont get the sale.

KINGjosh
10-12-2004, 05:33 AM
It doesn't matter what you show up in, because the end result of your job will tell it all. As for $12 a cut, that is pretty cheap, Down here in fort lauderdale you got all your cubanos that cut 1 grass an hour for $10 that size and that is better than they ever dreamed of making in thier country. they really do bring the market down. As for that size lawn, that is a garanteed $20 no matter what!

lampeslawnservice
10-12-2004, 02:25 PM
This sounds like you have been invaded by the kid down the street. $12 did that cover your gas, string line, and insurance. I always like these old people that say the guy who used to do it charged $10. I always ask why did he quit. Most will respond with "well, he got another job." Well, I don't plan on getting another job

Precision
10-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Geezers got cash. geezers without cash can get joe scrub to mow and next week can get a different scrub and next week.... you get the idea.

If you can mow tons of properties +150 and do none of the work personally, then you MIGHT be able to compete on price. Otherwise, set a standard and live up to it, then charge accordingly.

Listen to Fantasy, he has a strong business and knows what is going on.

Better yet, sit down with an accountant and spend the $200 to find out how to figure out your expenses so you can figure out what you need to charge.

Just mow it has +2000 lawns and he charges $20+.

lawn guy
10-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Well another problem I will be faced with is hiring a helper. With profit margins so thin how can I pay anyone? I think starting now I am going to raise my prices on all new accounts and see how it goes but I am living in the land of scrubs here. The area is saturated with lawn care people. If I don't close enough sales i'm not sure what my solution will be. maybe try a different area where the scrub percentage is lower?

lawn guy
10-12-2004, 09:58 PM
oh 1 more thing just to be sure i'm comparing apples to apples here. For the Money you guys are talking about what is involved. I just mow the grass, trim around bushes shrubs trees and around the house. Edge driveway and in some cases the street to the lawn. and blow off debris. for the most part I don't trim flower beds or remove weeds, although sometimes I will run the trimmer over the flower beds because the weeds make the job incomplete. Are you doing the same job for the money or are you doing extra things that I am not? Thanks for all the replies you all have been so helpful getting me on the right track.

Fantasy Lawns
10-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Our "Basic" service starts at $70 per month based on a yearly contract (42 services @ $20) mow, edge, weed eat n blow off .... don't do per cuts unless it's single cut to "check us out" n than it's gonna be more ..... even at the minium price

This is the start ..... you have a "base" any new jobs slowly raise your price ... as you book yourself ....than raise the cost on the lower priced one

I have NEVER dropped a customer .... I always raised the price ...some times to a level they would never take .... but who knows

Any who .... monthly bidding is the way in FL ... I don't allow my customer to say .... skip it ... OK but I'm still getting my monthly price >> I don't reduce monthly if they say ... skip it

It took me 3 YEARS before I saw it this way ... I started n took ANY JOB to make $$ ... got to the point of 40+ hrs .... n than raised my prices ..... lost some Yes ... n gained others at the better price ..... booked back up .... than raise prices more ....soon any new job was at a good rate .... this spring raised prices on 30% of base ....next spring another 30% n the following the last of the 30%

This is fore customers +2-3 years ... n on n on as the need calls fore ... but I track hrs, equip cost, over head etc ... n every winter go over the numbers to fine the losers .... I have time samples thru out the year n than do the crunchs to KNOW exactly how much income that job is bringing ... n use this as a base for future jobs which are of comparable size or such

http://fantasylawns.com/Kent_1.jpg

Typical $70 per month in 2002 which is now $85 ... but they love us ....takes average of 17-20 hrs per year .... even at $70 that was $840 per year or $42 per hour .... hedging n trimming was extra ...like 4 times yearly when they asked

lawn guy
10-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Is 42 services a year typical for Florida? How does it break down (how many services during what months) do you ever arrive on the cut day and the lawn really is not ready to be cut? what do you do then? cut anyway?

Precision
10-13-2004, 07:59 AM
at $12 a mow you can't hire anyone. period. It is all about advertising and salesmanship. People will pay for good work. NOt all of them mind you, but many people are sick and tired of scrubs that show up when they want, blow the clippings into the front porch and hack down the shrubs.

Besides you only want to land 1/3 of your bids.