PDA

View Full Version : leaf removal

barefootlawns
10-11-2004, 03:06 PM
i an fairly new to the business and was wondering what the best ways to do leaf removal

D Felix
10-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Let's see if this helps:
-DON'T (that's THE best way)
-Cut down all of the trees
Those are the best ways.:D

Seriously though, a rake, blower and tarp are the staples of leaf removal....:) If you're fancy enough, a dump bed with a leaf vac may be helpful if you have the access.

Dan

baddboygeorge
10-20-2004, 10:05 PM
The Best Way Spend Some Big Money An Get Ya A Turf Sweeper, Big Industrial Vac Pull Behind , An A 24 Foot Flatbed /dump. Get A Few Backpack Blowers An A Big Walk Behind Blower. Get Ready To Make Some Serious Money . Believe Me I Do Alot Of Leaf Work Its Hard Dirty Work But It Makes Me Some Serious Money . Last Year I Did 264 Jobs Average Job Is 200-250 Do The Math . Have Fun An Get To Leafing!!

wayne volz
11-13-2004, 01:00 PM
By now I guess you have decided how you are going to do leaves.

I agree with BADBOYGEORGE. If you are going to do leaves, get it to the point where you have an enclosed dump truck with a vacuum attached, parking lot blowers, tarps, and a place to dump leaves. This can be an excellent add-on service if you are set up properly to do it. By offering a vacuuming service, you will also put on jobs that we call vac only accounts. Those are people who get the leaves to the street for you and you swing by and vacuum them up. This is a true money maker!

Any other way of doing leaves and you are doing it for FUN!

I realize you may not be able to start out with this type of set-up, but get there as soon as possible.

Good Luck - luck is where skill and preparation come together.

Smithers
11-13-2004, 04:58 PM
i completely agree with wayne and bad george,

I have one great blower, one pickup truck, one great mower and a place to dump leaves and it is hard work. Very quick money (great money), but hard and dirty.

I wish i was a full timer to get all the equipment they described.

orinicklawncare
07-23-2011, 10:40 PM
i have bought the walk behind vac the truck vac and several blowers and now im stumped on the pricing can anyone help me out?

WJC
07-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Wow, dug up an old thread from the grave. Pricing is something you'll figure out after you do a few cleanups. Everyone is going to give you a different answer on it.

kemco
07-24-2011, 01:12 AM
I dont like leaf removal, but never the less its a part of my business, not a huge part relative to the lawn maint, but still a pretty decent part and its all we do once lawn season is over. Everyone will have a different pricing structure, it all depends on your costs as well as what the market will be willing to pay for the service. We charge by the man hour, and its around $35 per man hour. Usually have three workers on the job so a little over $100 an hour is what we bill. I really would (and need to) bill more than this to make a profit closer to what we bring in during lawn season, but this rate is about the top end of what the market is willing to pay in my area. Figure out your costs per man hour (its not just labor its all of your expenses from insurance, gas, equipment maint, supplies, taxes, etc and divide out into your hours worked in a given year) and then add in what you need to make profit wise and you should have your figure. Just remember that your costs are going to be different from mine and anyone else on this site.

BrunoT
07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
It's easy. Go get a job working for someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them.

DIXIECONTRACTING
07-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Blowers, Rakes, Tarps

weeze
07-27-2011, 02:57 PM
from a southern point of view mulch or side discharge going over the leaves until they disappear...faster and less work but less money as well but it beats hauling bags/tarps of leaves all day.

JDiepstra
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
from a southern point of view mulch or side discharge going over the leaves until they disappear...faster and less work but less money as well but it beats hauling bags/tarps of leaves all day.

Why is it less money? Cleaning the leaves off of a lawn should theoretically cost the same whether you use a rake and tarp, a mower with mulch kit, or blowers and a leaf vac. Theres no reason you should get paid less for working smarter.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Why is it less money? Cleaning the leaves off of a lawn should theoretically cost the same whether you use a rake and tarp, a mower with mulch kit, or blowers and a leaf vac. Theres no reason you should get paid less for working smarter.
Posted via Mobile Device

well like i've said in posts before...it's a region thing...noone in the south is gonna pay you $200-$250 to remove leaves from their yard...no matter how you do it...they might pay you $50-$100 depending on the size of the yard...i agree with you though...to me smarter is the way to go...i'm not out there trying to kill myself to earn a few bucks...i'm gonna do it the easiest way i can and do a good job at the same time...i sure aint gonna get out there and haul bags/tarps of leaves for $50...the easiest way is to just run over them with the mower...it works for me....i might use the leaf blower if it's a small yard and blow them into the woods or something if that's an option....but i never rake, bag, tarp, etc. leaves...even if they did pay me well it's not worth it to me.

tuffram
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
well like i've said in posts before...it's a region thing...noone in the south is gonna pay you $200-$250 to remove leaves from their yard...no matter how you do it...they might pay you $50-$100 depending on the size of the yard...i agree with you though...to me smarter is the way to go...i'm not out there trying to kill myself to earn a few bucks...i'm gonna do it the easiest way i can and do a good job at the same time...i sure aint gonna get out there and haul bags/tarps of leaves for $50

Nothing like the southern long leaf pine straw, I would like to see it put into bags ect. they would be holes poked all in the bag then it would burst open. Rake it into piles and burn it that is about the only way to do away with it.

XLS
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
we bag it with our walkers and dump it in the street and vac it up . or we blow it to the street and vac it up .

tennessee is just above alabama for those southern boys who dont know and we do a lot of $250.00 cleanups and have cleanups approaching $1000.00 and $75.00 is our minimum period . we bill 40.00 per man hour plus 5.00 per dump of a walker box on big jobs and 60.00 a man hour and 5.00 per dump on small jobs . The best bang for the buck is a dump trailer vac and 2 large backpacks / no push anythings .

yard_smart
10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
We do leaf removal in Louisville KY and use a loader.
Here is a blog post I made that has a video of it. It saves us time and makes us more money than any other way. We remove alot of leaves in Louisville so this is our only way to go!

http://www.propowerwash.com/board/upload/entry.php?1556-Leaf-Removal-and-Fall-Clean-Up-Service-Company-in-Louisville-KY

Diddy
10-29-2012, 10:57 PM
The Best Way Spend Some Big Money An Get Ya A Turf Sweeper, Big Industrial Vac Pull Behind , An A 24 Foot Flatbed /dump. Get A Few Backpack Blowers An A Big Walk Behind Blower. Get Ready To Make Some Serious Money . Believe Me I Do Alot Of Leaf Work Its Hard Dirty Work But It Makes Me Some Serious Money . Last Year I Did 264 Jobs Average Job Is 200-250 Do The Math . Have Fun An Get To Leafing!!

what model turf sweeper and industrial pull behind vac do you use?