PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Oil

Petr51488
10-11-2004, 07:33 PM
When's the best time to change the oil? Now? Or wait till early spring? And why?

Travis Followell
10-11-2004, 07:52 PM
I would say that the best time to change it is now because that is what the engine manufactures recommend. The reason for that is so the engine will not have to sit all winter with old oil in it. It is harder on the engine sitting with old oil in it than it is with new oil.

lawn guy
10-11-2004, 07:53 PM
If you dont run the unit enough hours to warrant a oil change during the season I would drain the oil, put on a new filter and leave crankcase empty until the start of the season. my reasoning for this is that oil is corrosive. you may want to do the same with the fuel tank. here in Florida we mow almost all year long so there is no off season

Petr51488
10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
It also sayes in the manual for the exmark and others to put in 1-2 ml of oil into the spark plug hole. And put the spark plug back in and pull until compression. Is this a good thing to do too? Ive never done that b 4.. i usually drain all oil and gas until the next season.

green with envy
10-11-2004, 08:14 PM
I just changed all of my machines last weekend because it was due. I will change it again as I put them into storage. Used oil can become corrosive if it just lays there for months at a time. It is a cheap insurance policy.

My two cents.

Mike

lawn guy
10-11-2004, 08:25 PM
It also sayes in the manual for the exmark and others to put in 1-2 ml of oil into the spark plug hole. And put the spark plug back in and pull until compression. Is this a good thing to do too? Ive never done that b 4.. i usually drain all oil and gas until the next season.
I would rather disconnect the spark plug wire and try to start the unit a few times then reconnect the wire so the unit actually starts. you can put oil in the spark plug hole but VERY LITTLE a drop or 2 remember oil does not compress. That is just my 2 cents